24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

motor block replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
motor block replacement

I'm getting a warranty short block replacement from dodge for my 2001 ctd. If I have a choice, [?] what block should I request? I've heard of a 53 and one called a' storm ' block. Any advise? STY
Old 02-25-2004, 10:30 AM

Well you could do a search for "53 Block" and see what comes up. Some folk have had a plethora of problems with it. Good luck.

Hunter
Old 02-25-2004, 10:38 AM

INSIST that they DO NOT give you a #53....The mexican blocks (#55 - I think) are apparantely very good.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:59 AM

Thanks, I just called dealer to inform him of just that-no #53! He was unaware of what was being provided. Will know more tomorrow. Meanwhile, I'm reviewing search of past post for recommended alternatives. So far, apossible storm block[no numbers] and #55. I remember reading a bout other blocks numbering in the 50's but haven't found the search results yet. STY
Old 02-25-2004, 07:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If you're getting a short block you probably will not have a choice. You get whatever gets shipped to the dealer. I'd definitely stay on top of it and inspect the short block when it comes in to make sure there are no "53s" on it. This is the only block I have ever heard of that had a problem. If you see a "53" on there stop them from working on it and jump up and down screaming if they give you any static.

http://www.Stamey.nu/Truck/Cummins53BlockFAQ.htm

Chris
Old 02-26-2004, 08:31 AM

Stamey, I didn,t see it with my own eyes, but the service rep at Brown-Daub Dodge in Bath, Pa [doing the job] said they recieved the short block late last night and it is a B-59 Storm block. I gave them the green light [right?] and he said they will start on it tommorrow. I asked while they have it, would they check the lift pump and vp-44 for operating pressures and if I supplied after market banjo fuel fittings would they install them? He checked with the service tech and said no problem if I can get the parts to him.

What a difference in dealerships! Since towing my truck to these guys at Brown-Daub I've gotten nothing but cooperation. Still can't believe the runaround at the last dealer! If the mechanics handle the install as well as the dealer service reps did their job, this could take a positive turn and be a feather in the Dodge boys hat! The ones with the' white ' hats that is!

Now, where to get the banjo fittings and ship to dodge for upgrade!
Old 02-26-2004, 09:41 AM

Wildcat Maximum Flow System

http://www.wildcatdiesel.com/

Has high flow Banjos, larger fuel lines, and everything else you need in one package.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:34 PM

rangerst, what was the verdict on the cause of the engine knock? Thanks.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:37 PM

''Thanks all", wild cat has them on the way to the dealer from Sas. Canada via Alabama to Pa. dodge dealer as per yours truly C/O you all on the DTR threads !!

What a network, it really is a support group for the afflicted, if not the addicted !!
Thanks for sharing-he,he

R-medic, the service tech was not available both times I asked the same question, Rather than hold up the offer of warrantee replacement short block until I was informed of the problem, I thought it prudent to not ask again until the new install was completed! Let the gift horse lie [or something like that!].
I haven't even been to the dealership yet let alone in the garage to talk to the mechanic since the truck was hauled in sunday afternoon and dropped when the place was closed! I told them on the phone of the hassle at the other dealers garage [competition in the same sales market area] and asked them to check it out [the motor knock] since they were refered as a good diesel dealer. Brown-Daub [dealer] said they would and took over from there! I will find out though and let you know when I do.

again, thanks.
sty
Old 03-20-2004, 01:01 AM

Up date. not flex plate noise not wrist pin,pistin noise but was determined to be #5 rod bearing was bad and hammering. No service records were asked for and the dealer was very accomadating,[second dealer that is] !! The oil was reported as appearing in good condition but containing metalic in it.

I had been having stalling problems prior that I blamed zero weather and bad fuel on but I asked them to pressure test the LP an vp44 while in the shop. The LP was condemed with only 1 psi output and replaced under warranty as well but they said they couldn't test the vp44 because they couldn't find the "tool". I'm not sure what that is but It leaves me concerned about the diminished fuel supply at only 1 psi for who knows how long? That's about it, back on the road and breaking it in!

Now, what is the hot set up for break in periods, oil recommendations, RPM's for how long and how far? should I wait to ad mods or go for it now? How about adding syn oil to new block? Baby it or bomb it?!

Observations; the new unit allready seems to have more power than the old but the new unit is showing about the same oil pressure as the old motor with the spun bearing did which was running ser. 3000 5w30 amsoil. this oil pres. was about 40 at idle and dropped to about 30 after knock appeared and thats about where it is running now. Again, thanks for prior and present input. STY

w
Old 03-20-2004, 01:16 AM

Ps, the new short block was not a B 59, but instead it bore a big # 56 cast in the front lower left side. At 100 mi. it is very much a different motor than the other and should comply with Dr. Evils priscription and Stameys jump up and down demands! STY
Old 03-20-2004, 02:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the most experience on the board for cracked blocks having had two of them. Mine was replaced by a #55 and it was fine, I am sure you will have no more problems from it. And I know the feeling, the new one that the dealer put in felt stronger and was quieter.