24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

More lift pump woe's

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 04:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More lift pump woe's

Put a new lift pump on the truck, great pressure readings, never under 10 wound up and pulling hard. With about 150 miles on it I glanced at the pressure gage and zero. Pulled off the freeway and checked it out. Pump not running at all.<br><br>Quick call to my son and he brought the old pump to me, installed it and back to first base, a weak lift pump. If I did not have a gage I would have lost the injector pump, hope I did not hurt it. I bought this pump about two months ago from Cummins, hope they make good on it, but I doubt it. Guess thats $160 down the drain and several hours time stuck and putting two pumps on it. Get a gage guys, injection pumps are expensive.
Old 05-31-2003, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:More lift pump woe's

Cummins should Take it back ok, doesn't hurt to try....
I put 2 pumps on, the reg in stock pos. and a #7 pusher back by the tank. I also put a pre-filter (30 micron) before the pump to keep them clean. The 2 pumps made about 20

psi so I put a FP regulator after the reg pump and before the reg. filter.....
See it here

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...threadid=72114

After this, I have no less than 12 PSI even at WOT. I get 12-14 PSI all the time. the flow is better and the Regulator sends the Extra amount to the rear filter so now even the pusher pump has a small head preasure so it don't have to work hard.
Old 05-31-2003, 08:49 PM

My gauge showed low pressure and i called cummins in S. A. tx and told them and they said no problem bring in the pump. so i think you wont have any problems with them by the way it was the gauge not the pump this time
Old 05-31-2003, 11:56 PM

I just replaced mine with one from Cummins this week. I hope it lasts, 3rd one on this truck now. :
Old 06-06-2003, 08:37 PM

Cummins was great about it. They wrote up a shop order and changed it out. New one never goes below 11 pounds at wot. Maybe this one will stay a while. It has about 1000 miles on it now and seems good. Put the old one back on on the side of the freeway, put this one on in a truck stop parking lot. Don't like repairs away from home...
Old 06-09-2003, 11:55 AM

So you guys are going to Cummins directly for the LP replacement, rather than DC? or you do this because you're out of warranty and prefer to deal with Cummins instead (understandable). I ask because I want to know who to go to if mine pukes out on me: isn't it covered in the 7/70 DC warranty, and shouldn't I go back to DC for warranty coverage?
Old 06-09-2003, 12:20 PM

If you are paying for it Cummins is a lot cheaper. Mine has been out of warranty for a long time. Also from the threads I think that Dodge is giving you the original part number where Cummins is upgrading to the latest build. I see those that get them a Dodge are using a lower part number than Cummins. You always need to tell them that there have been several upgrades and you want the latest.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:42 PM

makes sense. given that DC has nearly 6 years left in support life, I'd think they would be interested in the latest. Maybe they have a bunch of old inventory or something.<br><br>I'm running into a simliar (but I hope different) problem with the front end parts. With only a 3/36 warranty, DC is only 2 years away from clearing the board with all the junk track bars, drag links, tie rod ends, etc. So there's not much hope for any improvement in the warranty parts (although my new track bar actually has a grease fitting on it. what a bonus). <br><br>The lift pump situation I hope is different -- I'd think there would be a substantial ROI to stock the best pump revisions -- especially for stock trucks where the owner is oblivious to the problem and runs 'er down to nothin, destroying the VP44 as well.
Old 06-09-2003, 08:40 PM

Actually even Cummins has all the part numbers in stock. For the '99 they have the pump with the wires on it but telling them that you want the latest brings the current pump which ends with 05 in the part number and they have the jumper wire to hook it up as everyone knows. Same thing with the thermostat, they have the 190 deg but the latest upgrade is the 180 and they push the 180. In the winter I put the 190 back in, they were reluctant to sell it for the '99 even thought that was the stock stat. I have a pretty good repore with the local Cummins parts dealer and get quite a bit of info from him. Incidentally they recommend getting the local Borsch dealer to rebuild the injector pump instead of getting their $1200 pump.<br><br>Bill
Old 06-10-2003, 06:47 AM
Administrator

[quote author=Doug link=board=4;threadid=15361;start=0#147395 date=1055177751]<br>So you guys are going to Cummins directly for the LP replacement, rather than DC? or you do this because you're out of warranty and prefer to deal with Cummins instead (understandable). I ask because I want to know who to go to if mine pukes out on me: isn't it covered in the 7/70 DC warranty, and shouldn't I go back to DC for warranty coverage? <br>[/quote]<br><br>$384 at DC vs $137 from Cummins for the same pump. Pretty much a no brainer here.<br>Just like the oil pressure sending unit I had to buy from DC (per the Cummins dealer) that was $197 that came in a Cummins box with a Cummins part number on it. : : ???
Old 06-10-2003, 07:01 AM

im a 12valver, I changed my lift pump a long time ago, and i was wondering where the lift pump is located on a 24valve. is it the same style of pump as the 12v? my buddy's 01 is having pump trouble, and i was gonna help him.
Old 06-19-2003, 02:10 PM

[recall stuff removed by admin]