24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

more fuel problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
more fuel problems

I have been on here a few times with no start problems. You know the one that goes point nose downhill it starts point nose uphill it won't. I replaced all the fuel lines, took it to the the dealer for diagnosing, they found nothing wrong. Even though the truck didn't start for them facing uphill. What are the chances if I put on a new lp and some kind of pusher pump my problems might be solved. I have heard people talk about Holley Blues or Reds or something like that. Is this a good idea or not. Also lately my problems increased. Now my Fuel gauge quits at 1/2 tank works fine from full to 1/2 but then quits. And now my speedometer don't work until 35mph and my parking brake light and ABS light stay on all the time. Is there a chance this could all be related. One more thing I noticed for the past couple of days that when you really get on the gas the truck surges very bad also does this when pulling a load. Shuold I keep hunting the problem or let it go up in smoke and call the insurance company.
Any help greatly appreciated.

98.5 Dually 4x4 24V, VanaAken Box, BHAF, straight pipe, 1 new injector pump, 4 new lift pumps & 255,000 miles
Old 06-14-2004, 12:48 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take the electrical sensor out of the rear diff and clean it and see if that helps with your speedo and stuff. You might need a new fuel gauge sending unit (a common problem on these trucks).
Old 06-14-2004, 10:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is everything related? That was my question a couple of months ago..

I also had a problem with the fuel gauge and the abs light on all the time.

When the parking brake and ABS light stay on that indicates a rear wheal abs problem, accoriding to my service manual. There is a very good chance it is a failed rear wheal speed sensor, lokated on top of the rear differential. Very easy to replace, one screw, disconect the wiring, pull out old sensor carefully. mine came apart and i had to fish half of it out of the diff. Replace with a new one.

Interestingly enough, when I did this the fuel gauge wich was stuck on full all the time, started to work again. I thought they could be somehow related, but after a few months the gauge reads only full again, but the ABS light is off thank god...

Perhaps changing the fuel sending unit will fix your gauge and the starting problem? I will shortly be changing my sending unit, as running out of fuel becouse the gauge reads full is no fun at all......'

Good Luck