24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Are MOOG the only problematical ball joints?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i bet its the moogs, had the same thing happen to my dads 01, new moog uppers and lowers, new track bar tie rods, 2 steering box's, sterring shaft, power steering pump, stering damper, front shocks, front hub/bearing assembleis and it steeres like sh$t. same problem you describe, it has a mind of its own it feels like there is a troll underneath the truck with a pipe wrench moving the shaft back an forth.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:50 AM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Check the steering shaft for play. Also check the steering box again. Alignment shops aren't all competent so don't assume you're aligned just yet.

To check the ball joints for yourself jack up the front end and get a steel bar or 2x6 under the tire and get a buddy to lift it up and down while you watch teh lower ball joint. It shouldn't move more than a very slight amount in any direction. There is probaly a wear ring at the rubber seal, if the ring is more than a 1/16th inch, you need to r/r the joints.

Kurt
Old 11-20-2009, 12:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If the MOOGs are so bad what is a resonable replacement? thanks.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:37 PM

UPDATE on the ball joints

I jacked the truck up this AM and greased the ball joints again. I overgreased them , just because I wanted to make sure I had grease everywhere.

Then I went for a drive with my dog. The extra grease made it seem much better now. I only noticed it taking off on it's own a couple of times in about 50 miles. Overall it was much more relaxing to drive. I greased the ball joints when I installed them, they have 7500 miles on them now (I was on the road for the last 7k). I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:00 PM

overgreasing is not good.

the grease boots are supposed to keep the grease in and dirt out. break the seal and it allows the grease to escape as well as get dirty inside.

i have the same bad habit - i tend to always have grease seeping out of the boots . . .
Old 11-20-2009, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by high bid
If the MOOGs are so bad what is a resonable replacement? thanks.

Good quesion! I would like to hear some input also..
Old 11-20-2009, 10:43 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by nickg
easy to check your ball joints, jack up truck, stick a pry bar inbetween the U-joint(axel) and the lower ball joint and pry up if more than 50thou play its worn beyond spec. or if lateral play exists(grasp top and bottom of wheel and pull/push if it moves BJ or wheel bearing is shot)
I dont think the ball joints is the route of your bad steering, how much weight did you have in the bed? or tonque weight? as the rear of the truck goes down the front lifts and depending on which steering set up you have (inverted Y or T) it affects your toe and contact patch of the tire on the ground causing "twitchey" steering as it will now follow any rut in the road

even if moog was junk, they would have to be completely shot, to cause steering issues, and you claim you just installed them, so for me new "junk" ball joints, are better than wore out ones
The problem won't be that they are worn out and have too much play. The problem will be that they are too tight, and the steering won't return to center after a turn or a correction.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:35 AM

I was experimenting

Originally Posted by Doj Dewd
overgreasing is not good.

the grease boots are supposed to keep the grease in and dirt out. break the seal and it allows the grease to escape as well as get dirty inside.

i have the same bad habit - i tend to always have grease seeping out of the boots . . .
I don't normally "overgrease". I just wanted to see if anything would help, even if it is just temporary.

Since it did seem to help, that points me to the other's theory of "TOO TIGHT" ball joints.

Thanks for all the opinions so far. I'll keep you up-to-date after I put some more miles on it.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by torquefan
The problem won't be that they are worn out and have too much play. The problem will be that they are too tight, and the steering won't return to center after a turn or a correction.
if he removes a tierod end from the spindle, and tries to "swing "the spindle/rotor assy thru its range, he will be able to tell quick enough if the BJ are too tight!, personally I've never seen Ball joints so tight they cause an issue... or a U-joint is binding and causing the "hard return to center"
Old 11-23-2009, 08:12 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
So before going out to buy new bjs I wanted to check to make sure that's my "wobble" issue. After lifting the frame up and poking around wow, I was shocked to see bjs are not my issue but that the skyjacker drop track bar bracket has cracked almost in half...wth? Not trying to highjack the thread but others w/similar issues may want to check everything else first. Waiting till S.J. opens to call them.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SSV1761982
I jacked the truck up this AM and greased the ball joints again. I overgreased them , just because I wanted to make sure I had grease everywhere.

Then I went for a drive with my dog. The extra grease made it seem much better now. I only noticed it taking off on it's own a couple of times in about 50 miles. Overall it was much more relaxing to drive. I greased the ball joints when I installed them, they have 7500 miles on them now (I was on the road for the last 7k). I'll keep you guys updated.
What are your alignment specs? What tires are you running? More importantly, what is your tire pressure?

I went through the whole front end on my truck. Bought a lifetime alignment from Firestone. It took several times before it was aligned close to specs posted on the forums. It still wandered dangerously. I then came across the tire pressure question (I'm running Geolanders), set tire pressure to 65# all around & it steers (almost) like it should. I still have some play in the gear box new Cardone reman that I went with after several AGR boxes. (AGR is crap). At least Cardone is under parts and labor warranty and is easy to get. But, back to your wander, what alignment, tires & pressure do you have?
Old 11-24-2009, 11:51 AM
GSP

Front wheel bearings???
Old 11-25-2009, 12:59 AM

dougs auto on middlebranch is pretty good. He has always pointed me in the right direction.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:55 PM

I have a 02 dually 4x4 I use to haul a camper. I replaced steering box, tie rods, ball joints, damper, and shocks this spring with 65k on it. The moog ball joints were tight after I installed them and made it squirrely for a while. After 5k or so and few trips with the camper they loosened up and it handles fine. I'm going to install a steering brace this winter so hopefully my steering box will last.

One of the local front end shops recommended spicer ball joints over moog because the moog were tight to begin with and they had some complaints.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:08 PM

Moog update

6/26/2010 - I changed out the lower MOOG ball joints today. I haven't even had it lined up yet and it drives great. I used the $75 NAPA for the replacements, we'll see how long they last.

After I popped the spindles off I tried to move the MOOGs by hand. The passenger side was very rough and you could feel it had spots that would catch. That was naked, I'll bet it was a lot worse with the weight of the truck on it. The driver's side was fairly smooth.

If I hadn't seen it 1st hand, I would have thought it was just internet B.S.

I had a little over 13k on the Moogs and they never did straighten out.

This is just my experience. I hope it helps somebody.

Quick Reply: Are MOOG the only problematical ball joints?