24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Are MOOG the only problematical ball joints?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are MOOG the only problematical ball joints?

I replaced everything with MOOG right before I went on vacation. Uppers, lowers, all tierods and ends. I also did a Lukes Link on the track bar and replaced the old Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks with new ones. It should have been ready to roll!

It is now twitchy or has a mind of its own. With the camper on the truck, I fought it for the last 7,000 miles - Ohio to Seattle, WA and back. The high winds in Wyoming about killed us.

It still drives like crap. After doing some searching, it looks like most people think the Moog lower ball joints are junk. I hate to think that I have to do it again but I have to do something.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:54 PM

easy to check your ball joints, jack up truck, stick a pry bar inbetween the U-joint(axel) and the lower ball joint and pry up if more than 50thou play its worn beyond spec. or if lateral play exists(grasp top and bottom of wheel and pull/push if it moves BJ or wheel bearing is shot)
I dont think the ball joints is the route of your bad steering, how much weight did you have in the bed? or tonque weight? as the rear of the truck goes down the front lifts and depending on which steering set up you have (inverted Y or T) it affects your toe and contact patch of the tire on the ground causing "twitchey" steering as it will now follow any rut in the road

even if moog was junk, they would have to be completely shot, to cause steering issues, and you claim you just installed them, so for me new "junk" ball joints, are better than wore out ones

how about tire pressure?? anything over 60psi in my opinion is too much and lessens the contact patch on the road.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I replaced my entire front end with MOOG @ 95K miles ago and haven't had any trouble. I was under the impression that they sold pretty good stuff.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:21 AM

I never had any problems with Moog. I actually prefer then over most others. The only one i would use other than Moog is Spicer.. Sounds like you may have some other worn out front end parts other than what you replaced..
Old 11-18-2009, 11:56 AM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Had MOOG ball joints for about 25K miles now. No Problems. I got into some mild winds with F-350 Dually and Lance camper a few weeks ago and was all over the road.

I Don't think your ball joints would really have anything to do with that.

Kurt
Old 11-18-2009, 12:46 PM

I had Moog lower ball joints installed 1000 miles ago on my 2wd 3500 and no problems with my 4000lb truck camper on. Perhaps someone messed up the wheel alighnment?
Old 11-18-2009, 01:28 PM

My local performance shop, RPM Offroad uses Moog ball joints on their Baja 1000 race trucks. Their truck are 3rd gen 2500 diesels. Their trucks are fully built offroad race trucks with custom suspensions, Scheid engines, and custom Suncoast trannys. I asked them about the Carli ball joints and they told me they use Moog on their 8000 pound offroad trucks made for jumping.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:14 PM

just to understand. okay high winds 8k pound truck with a in bed camper. is that right. they weight what 2200-3k ? stick up how much higher. I wouldnt think your steering is the problem usually those parts help with taking some of the play out of the steering wheel. not making it twitchy. your trac bar if stock you put a lukes link on it. that is just the end. what about if your trac bar was bent. lukes link doesnt cure that. tire pressure. how was the wind hitting you face on from the side, pushing. I dont think your new parts are your problem. since you have been out of high winds with camper does it do it. also. just wondering wind does alot of bad things to big rigs as well as people with campers. seen it many times.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:24 PM

maybe I wasn't clear

Originally Posted by SSV1761982
I replaced everything with MOOG right before I went on vacation. Uppers, lowers, all tierods and ends. I also did a Lukes Link on the track bar and replaced the old Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks with new ones. It should have been ready to roll!

It is now twitchy or has a mind of its own. With the camper on the truck, I fought it for the last 7,000 miles - Ohio to Seattle, WA and back. The high winds in Wyoming about killed us.

It still drives like crap. After doing some searching, it looks like most people think the Moog lower ball joints are junk. I hate to think that I have to do it again but I have to do something.

Now even with the camper off, it doesn't steer right. Constantly trying to correct the steering, uneven dips in the road and it you have to be ready to correct when it seems to want to go to one side or the other.

I have made the trip west 3 times with the same rig and it always was 'easy' to drive.

I had searched on steering problems and found others that commented they had problems with the MOOG ball joints. I need to do something to make this truck nice to drive again.

It is not lifted. Stock size Michelin tires.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
watching this thread.
Possibly double check the part #s on the receipt used for replacement & repair.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:02 PM
Banned

you are not alone, Mulisha had the same problem with moog joints...... impossible to relax and drive.. switched back to brand new stock balljoints and problems gone.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:03 PM

Did you ever have it realigned after all the front end work? Nothing in your posts indicates that you did.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:00 PM

If has bump steer as you imply, something is fubarred. Have comptent alignment shop check for damaged or incorrect parts. The old trucks shops do better job than fancy green light alignment shops.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:13 PM

I had it lined up after all the new parts

I took it to what was the Dodge/Ford dealership here in town. They lost the Dodge part when Dodge closed all those dealerships this year.

I'll try to find an old fashion alignment shop to have it done again. The old shops I dealt with over the years are all gone.

I am in the Canton to Alliance area in Ohio if anybody can recommend a good shop.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 11-19-2009, 08:47 AM

I would recheck the torque on the luke's link. I've heard you really have to torque that down. And check the track bar bolt at the axle also.

How are your front sway bar end links? Mine were shot, replaced them with Maxx Link aftermarket ones, and handling of the truck noticeably improved after. The factory OEM ball and socket links are junk IMHO.

Quick Reply: Are MOOG the only problematical ball joints?