24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Modifying the factory air box

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2002, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Modifying the factory air box

I spoke briefly to TPilaske before he left on vacation. He was telling me about a way to increase air into the stock air box by first removing it from the fender, then pulling a piece of plastic from somewhere around where the box sat. Then replacing the box. Sound familiar to anybody? Got some spare time tomorrow between doing leaves > and installing the snow plow on the tractor. [undecided]
Old 11-23-2002, 11:32 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Modifying the factory air box

There is some ducting(?) between the stock airbox and the fender it is sitting on/next to.<br>Removing the ducting just makes for a slightly bigger hole to get colder, non-engine compartment air.<br>Will also increase the turbo noise if you are into that ;D.<br><br>There are also tales of people drilling 1inch(?) holes in the underside and sides of the stock box to get more air in.<br>(just make sure to drill below filter level )<br><br><br>phox
Old 11-24-2002, 09:20 AM

Or get a Scotty2 from wildcat and be done with it. They are on sale this month
Old 11-24-2002, 10:15 AM

I removed the plastic piece that you are talking about, takes about 3 min. All I have notices is a little more turbo noise. I haven't done enough towing with or with out it to see if there is a difference. The one advantage is that it is free to try it, and if you don't like it put it back in.
Old 11-24-2002, 11:33 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Just a note of caution.
Some dealers are indicating the &quot;Swiss-Cheezing the airbox&quot; will affect your warranty.
I used a 1&quot; hole saw and drilled holes on the underside and the side toward the fender, leaving the engine side untouched.
Still looks stock, but flows more air.(at least until I win the Scotty II)
Also too many holes will actually let hot under-hood engine heat be drawn into the turbo.
Old 11-24-2002, 12:40 PM

Commatoze,
This has been my inexpensive solution to lower EGT's and more fresh air flow into the turbo on 2 trucks now. It dramatically reduces EGT under a load. There are 2 90's; one on the front and one on the rear of the box. The back one is pointed straight down so less likely to intake moisture or water. In the summer I have a special preformed hose that attaches to the 90 next to the battery and is routed out behind the LF head light to suck in cool outside air. When the engine is idling you can feel the suction if you put your hand over the hose. It took allot of looking for the &quot;perfect&quot; hose but I have the part # if you want it. The 90's can be had at Loews or Home Depot, in the &quot;pool&quot; section
Old 11-24-2002, 01:40 PM

Tom I believe the piece your refering to is called a snorkel, it is betwwen the box and truck, pulls right out.
Old 11-24-2002, 03:10 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey There Gary.
Old 11-25-2002, 10:33 AM

Hello Gary, You drilled the heck out of that box. I'll bet that made a BIG difference in lowering your EGT's.
Old 11-25-2002, 09:19 PM

I never looked that close inside the hole. After looking at your photo. . . I am going to look at mine again and am thinking about cutting the back out of the rubber boot; if it's feasable.

Quick Reply: Modifying the factory air box