24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Mobile 1 15-50 Synthetic WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 12:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So, Justin, are you running a gasoline-engine oil in your Cummins?

Rusty
Old 02-16-2005, 02:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm actually running at present a blend of 2 gallons Delo 400 and 1 gallon Redline 10w-40 (gas oil).

The Redline gives great oil pressure rise and turbo lubrication. The DELO gives me the soot dispersants and TBN additives.

Or so went my reasoning

hehehe...
Old 02-16-2005, 02:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ohhh.....homebrew!!

Rusty
Old 02-16-2005, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GM Goodwrench glass cleaner. Good stuff.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by HOHN
I'm actually running at present a blend of 2 gallons Delo 400 and 1 gallon Redline 10w-40 (gas oil).

The Redline gives great oil pressure rise and turbo lubrication. The DELO gives me the soot dispersants and TBN additives.

Or so went my reasoning

hehehe...
I know one thing. Mixing oils has NEVER been a good idea.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by IA_James
GM Goodwrench glass cleaner. Good stuff.
The only glass cleaner to use is Armorall for glass. Streak free, come clear and leaves a nice glow to the glass. It actually helps hides small imperfections in the glass. Now the question is spray can or pump?

Oh boy! I'm gonna get a memo on this sacrastic post!

I'm sorry Top!

OUCH!
Old 02-16-2005, 08:31 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
I know better to add to this but...I really dont understand why anyone would actually choose to pay 3 or 4 or up to 5 times more money on engine oil, tranny oil, and differential oil when these engines already go for hundreds of thousands of miles with regular changes on the cheap stuff...Whats the gain?...A mile per gallon?...You eat that up and more with every oil change...Your engine will last longer?...I dont know about anyone else but I really dont want a truck after 500,000 miles. Everything would be so worn out, it would be worth nothing and again I would loose money. How many differentials have you heard of that blow up from using regular oil? I personally havent but I have seen a few go for a couple hundred thousand without ever poping the cover before the vehicle was sold. If someone wants to run synthetics then great, go ahead. I dont understand why everytime someone asks or talks about the dreaded oil subject it turns into a 4 or 5 page opinion report about whos more right. Now if you will excuse me I thought I just heard someone talk about shocks.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:09 PM

FWIW, When I ran Delvac 1 in my 03 I ran 25k miles between changes with no ramifications but.... yeah I'd rather just change it more often and pay less than half as much... I think changing the oil filter is important too.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:49 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Maybe now is not a good time for me to promote the GEORGE FOREMAN GRILL.

Old 02-16-2005, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by infidel
Are you supposed to clean it? Think I've been screwing up.
Go to a Toyota message board sometime, the people there have so few problems all they can do is argue about which air freshener to use.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:47 PM

I bought an 01 HO back in November. It had the Premium Blue Extreme (Valvoline?) 5w40 in it. From the time I bought it, I attributed the louder engine noise to the higher injection pressure versus the 99 I had just sold. I drove the truck from Florida (I bought it online) back home to IL. I did the normal checking of oil often right after getting it home and putting a few miles on it. I noticed it seemed to be using a small amount of oil every thousand miles or so. The pan gasket seeped a very small amount as well. I decided to change out the oil back to what we run on the farm, John Deere Plus 50 15w40. The change back to dino oil was a very pleasant experience. The engine quieted down significantly, my fiancee even noticed it and she pays Very little attention to things like this. It stopped using oil and the pan stopped seeping (probably to the the thickness of the oil). My thought on it all is try what you want, if it works great. I figure if I can run a juiced-up Deere 8650 with 7000 hours at wide open throttle all day and not burn a drop of oil between changes, something must be right . Take care, good luck with your choices.
andy
Old 02-17-2005, 07:40 AM

Originally posted by Scotty
Maybe now is not a good time for me to promote the GEORGE FOREMAN GRILL.

STOP IT! You are killing me down here!
Old 02-17-2005, 07:52 AM

It is amazing when you thing about it.

Newbie buys new CDT. Newbie disreguards the manufacturers service recommendations after reading infomurcial on the net about going 100K between oil changes with brand "AXXXXX." Newbie trades the truck off after 80K miles because they now have heated cup holders (having never changed the oil). Newbie II buys used truck and wonders why engine is not running properly.

How many of you guys would buy a CDT knowing the oil has never been changed? How about if the oil was only changed every 50K miles? 25K? Would you buy a truck knowing the guy mixed oil brands & weights?

Seems to me, the best way to maintain your truck, AND MAINTAIN the trucks value is to do what the manufacture suggests?
Old 02-17-2005, 09:51 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally posted by Geico266
It is amazing when you thing about it.

Newbie buys new CDT. Newbie disreguards the manufacturers service recommendations after reading infomurcial on the net about going 100K between oil changes with brand "AXXXXX." Newbie trades the truck off after 80K miles because they now have heated cup holders (having never changed the oil). Newbie II buys used truck and wonders why engine is not running properly.

How many of you guys would buy a CDT knowing the oil has never been changed? How about if the oil was only changed every 50K miles? 25K? Would you buy a truck knowing the guy mixed oil brands & weights?

Seems to me, the best way to maintain your truck, AND MAINTAIN the trucks value is to do what the manufacture suggests?
Irregardless what brand of oil people prefer, non is needed on the non stick surface of the finest indoor Grill in the world.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You know, the owner's manual for these trucks says a variety of viscosities are acceptable under varying circumstances.

So the fact that I mix 10-40 and 15-40 and end up with something roughly like a 12w-40 is harmless.

I think I might run ALL Redline 10w-40 gasser oil next time just to irritate some people

Of course, I've been wanting to try Delvac Super for a while with no mix.

I go up to (but not over) 10K on a change-- even with the pricey stuff.

All I can say for sure is that my truck has never performed better anecdotally than it did with a full crankcase of Redline 15W-40 diesel oil. Faster spool up, quieter operation, 1-2psi more peak boost, 21mpg hwy.

Worth the money? I dunno-- but the owner of said money gets to determine that-- no one else

jlh

Quick Reply: Mobile 1 15-50 Synthetic WOW!