24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Mini spool w/ D80 Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini spool w/ D80 Hybrid?

I'm wanting to lock up my truck and was wondering if anyone is running, or even has a source for mini-spools for the Hybrid D80 under my '02 2500 HO.

From what I understand it's a D80 carrier with 1.5" 35 spline shafts like a D70. So would I need a D70 mini spool then?

Thanks,
Damon

ps, I know I should just get a full spool and I can setup gears myself, but I'm looking to be lazy on this job because it's not incredibly high on my list of work items.
Old 12-28-2003, 05:51 PM

if you find a spool for an 80 or 70

then you will be a very popular man ... a good freind has been searching hi and lo ... if you find one please pm me ... he has considered a group purchase but hasn't pursued it much
Old 12-28-2003, 06:01 PM
Banned

If your wanting to go with a "spool" then I guess you will be using this truck for pulling??? So just go with a "Lincoln" locker, they cost nothing and are the same.
Old 12-28-2003, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by y-knot
If your wanting to go with a "spool" then I guess you will be using this truck for pulling???
Actually no. I've got a jeep with a No-Slip in front and detroit in the rear and really don't care for it. Strong as hell, does exactly what it's supposed to... but I don't like the way it handles on the road. Especially in corners if you get on and off the gas it locks and unlocks unpredictably, and the detroit chirps the tires in corners anyway.

So I'm probably going to put a No-Slip in the front and then go spool in the rear like I now wish I had on the jeep.
Old 12-28-2003, 06:46 PM

Have you thought about an ARB or OX Locker? This way it would act like a spool/lincoln locker when engaged and an open diff when not needed.

If your not pulling, why a spool? These things are horrible on the road (tires chirp whenever you turn, also wear very quickly). I had one in the rear of my wrangler for about 4 months before i broke down and bought a Detroit.

jeff
Old 12-29-2003, 07:22 PM
Banned

I called around a few places and nope they don't make a spool for the D80. I think the post above me is right , a ARB or electic locker would be a good move. Besides all the bad things already said about a locked rear end on the street, they make the front end push terrible.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:02 PM

Do they make a electric locker for the 80 ? Has anyone got any experience with one as to how dependable and price.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:06 PM

Not to sure about the electric locker, only one i know of is the Eaton E-Locker, could be wrong but the last I read it was only available for 1/2 axles at the moment. I do know for sure ARB makes an air locker for the D80, and am pretty sure that the cable operated Ox Locker is available as well. Both these will lock the axle just like a spool when engaged.

Jeff
Old 12-31-2003, 01:18 PM

spool

I checked into e lockers already and this is what I found out. Detroit makes an electric locker for the smaller dana 44's and 60's. I would like to put a detroit elocker in the rear because it acts like a limited slip when it is not locked. I really want to put an eaton e locker in the front because it does not act like a limited slip when unlocked. I have the air system to run arbs and may put one on the dana 60 but I want a limited slip e locker because I dont always want to lock the locker every time I need a little traction. I would put a regular locker in the rear but I hear when you load up the back of the truck, it is really hard on the rear axle and shafts break. In my opinion I would never run a spool on a vehicle that will be driven every day on the road. Things will break and tires get expensive. I run a mini spool on my off road rig with a 9 inch and it drives to the trailhead and that is it. That Little jaunt to the trailhead is hell enough. Hope this helps. By the way, if you want to buy the locker or spool, buy it to fit a dana 80. That is the size of the carrier.