24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

might be getting 2001/2002 cummins 2500

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
might be getting 2001/2002 cummins 2500

hey all
im pretty much got my dad sold on a 01 or 02 cummins 4x4
i just wanted to show u the ones im lookin at
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...ce=&cardist=45

if anyones selling one on here thats a 01 to 02 auto 4x4 and is near pa send me a message

heres the performance list
k/n intake
mbrp dual 6 inch stacks (heck yea) 4 inch dp
edge a2 (need a gps)
maybe a 3pod gauge thing
also might consider/need a new trans
can ya let me know if this certain truck will need a new trans? it has a bit of miles my dads worried bout it but not me
let me know ur opinions thanks
Old 06-05-2007, 09:27 PM

With 110k...I'm not sure I'd pay 22k. Mind you, mods don't factor into the cost of the vehicle, if you are going by blue book value.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:32 PM

Depends a lot if the truck is for you or your dad. If it's for you I would stick with a 12V, something a bit less expensive, with a 5-speed. For your Dad, that's a nice truck, but a 6 or 5 speed unit is much more desirable overall. A rebuilt auto trans may cost over $3k, so you really have to factor that into the equation. for the price they are asking you could easily find a good '03 3-rd gen unit which is miles ahead in terms of refinment and reliability.

22k is a lot of money for a 2nd gen with over 100k. Modifications DO NOT increase resale value, nearly universally they will lower it. Hence why in six year my truck has not been modified - and I just don't have intrest in it, can't afford it, etc. Overall, the 24 Valves do require one immediate modification - a fuel pressure gauge. The lift pump will (not may) go bad without warning, and will usually take out the electronically-controlled, fuel cooled VP-44 injection pump with it. It's $1500+ when this goes out.

Overall, while ambition is apprecitated, it's well worth your while to sort out the basic truck prior to thinking about modifications, as they will increase your performance (possibly) but they will also increase your cost of ownership and maintance. The 24V 2nd gen trucks, while nice units overall, will be remembered as the most unreliable series of Cummins Dodges offered, from the "53" blocks, lift pumps, VP-44's, and the 47RE automatics, they left something to be desired overall.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:59 PM

One of my customers is selling an 01.5 2500 6 speed 150ish on clock. DD2 EZ box Gauges....I just put a set of 295 Nitto Grapplers on it. Think he is asking somewhere around 16 maybe less.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:41 PM

I just picked up my 01.5 speed with 186000km for $10200 cdn. I shopped around for about a month.
That's a clean truck, but alot of money.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would not pay the asking price for this truck, although the truck itself looks nice. Remember, there are a lot of Rams around, don;t let yourself get locked on just one and think you must have that one. Take a look around once more, you may regret in a couple of months when you see an identical or better truck for $7k less.
-P
Old 06-06-2007, 09:51 AM

Arrow Take Your Time, There's LOTS Of These Trucks Around...

I paid $14,300 for mine on Ebay, from TX and overall, for the money I spent and the truck I got, I thought that to be a very fair price for the condition the truck was in. Add in the fact that trucks (around here) command a premium (the credit union says retail for my truck here is $17300 and showed me in the Kelly Blue Book) The only drawback was the shipping aspect of the adventure, meaning that next time IF I do purchase another vehicle off Ebay (which I would do FROM A DEALER ONLY), I may go fetch it myself instead of waiting and incurring the expense of shipping. Otherwise you have to get em where you find em.....

The way I settled on an 02 was that I had X number of dollars to spend and I wasn't going over that amount. I wanted the newest, lowest mileage, best condition truck I could find. I bought the best truck I could for the money I had, fragile VP-44's, faulty lift pumps and "too many valves" be dammed. If you shop around, be patient and take your time, your dream truck will find YOU....
Old 06-06-2007, 10:49 AM

It's an 02, loaded, with average miles and it's in GREAT condition from the pictures. While their asking price is a little high keep in mind it is at a dealership and not a private seller, this alone will increase the price because of the "perks" you get with it. One being it probably comes with some sort of 30day warranty, it has been detailed so you don't have to pull all the stains out of the carpet from the last guy who owned it, it probably has a full tank of gas, and it has probably been through some sort of inspection and possibly had any issues that may have arrisen down the road fixed. 110K miles is not really that bad, most of the ones i've been finding are between 150-400K, and anytime I talk to any of my diesel-head friends they all call me stupid for thinking 150K is high miles, and the phrase "it's just gettin broke in!" always comes up .

With that said I was just looking at an 02 with 80K miles, 6spd manual, almost as loaded as this one (cloth seats, no dash trim, etc) and the dealer had 24K on the windsheild. I asked them what they realistically were looking to get out of it and he said somewhere in the low 20's. I'm sure you could go in and walk out with that truck for 19 G's, maybe less if you play your cards right.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:16 AM

Bought a totally stock 1999 truck with 124K a year ago for $14,000. Put in gauges, relocated lift pump and installed vulcan big line to frame rail kit. Tonneau cover, tool box in bed figure $1,000 in add ons so 15,000 in. The truck you are looking at is 3 years newer but IMO when you get over a certain age condition is more important than age. Offer 18K all they can do is say yes, no or shoot you.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:01 PM

i see alot a contridicting here!
well i get outa school next fri
that weekend my pa and i are gonna shop around
my dad WONT get any newer than 02 (or atleast i wont let him)
there too big (im not sure if they are bigger than a 02 long box ext cab but looks like it)
plus to buy a new one i calculated online builting on dodge was $55k for SLT TRIM! thats insane but it had the 6.7 in it
but my idea is
get a cheap truck, and put mods into it
btw after im outa hs ill get it off him and i wont be sellin it for 20+ more years
post some links if u can
thanks a bunch
matt
Old 06-06-2007, 02:08 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RARE-...QQcmdZViewItem
so u guys mean somethin like this? not a bad price
if its for me id def. buy it but my dad wouldnt
Old 06-06-2007, 05:50 PM

[QUOTE=firstdieselram7;1541223
so u guys mean somethin like this? not a bad price
if its for me id def. buy it but my dad wouldnt[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking that you are a "Pre-college" individual, if I'm correct here?

If so, consider what you mean by "cheap truck." Here's what I drove while starting off into college, toward the end of high school. This is just to keep a perspective, or reality...try a 1982 Mazda Truck
Old 06-06-2007, 09:37 PM

Bought my '99 24 valve in December for $8500.
Had 176K miles on it. 2WD Auto
Old 06-07-2007, 03:06 AM

Arrow Here's a couple of 5 year old Dodge diesels...

How about this one??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CUMMI...QQcmdZViewItem

Or this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SLT-C...QQcmdZViewItem

Good prices, reasonable miles, 4x4's, clean & FREE SHPPING TO ANYWHERE IN THE USA. Buy from a dealer and do a Car-Fax and check out all the pics. Give em a call too as most of them love to talk about one of their trucks. The guy I bought mine from has even contacted me about other nice Dodge Cummins trucks he's had. You do your homework, don't be bashful and ask questions and don't buy the first one you see and you'll do fine. But if you limit yourself to local trucks only, you're really cutting down on your selection. Good luck!!
Old 06-07-2007, 10:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had good luck on Autotrader.com. Start w/i 100 miles and go out from there. And if you and your dad want to make a 'great adventure' out of it...look in Texas for you dream truck!
Why -
1-More Dodge CTD per capita there than anywhere, or so I suspect.
2-No rust
3-Lower used prices make a plane ticket to pick it up, well worthwhile.
Many members have done it that way.

I'd do 02's only. Lots of subtle improvements over 01's, IMO.

And don't forget to use CARFAX.com.... to check on vehicles history. Could be best $19.00 you will ever spend.

RJ

Quick Reply: might be getting 2001/2002 cummins 2500