24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Mechanical fuel press gauge install. (Unconventional)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is more to the story of the location of the gauges. That makes 3 that I have installed with 3 maybe 4 more to go. I do not like the look of gauges everywhere in my everyday (only) vehicle. Just my opinion, but that is for hotrods, racecars and work vehicles. I loved the look in all of the steet rods and race cars I have had. If the manufacture would leave you room in the dash for custom installs, I would have them out in the open. The only gauge you will see out of the 7 extra will be the EGT that will be in the little hole beside the radio. I bought the gauge panel adapter from Geno’s. Nice unit. As long as I can see the gauge when I want to see it, it does not matter to me where it is.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
I only look at this trans temp gauge when I am pulling the camper. And yes it is mechanical too.
I mentioned 3 more and maybe 4, the maybe one is actually an experiment that is taking place to determine if it is worth the effort. It looks like it will be, and will be a very interesting story in itself.
I was asked about what gauge I used, you can buy pretty much get any gauge that is 1-1/2” with fittings in the back. I bought mine at an industrial supply store for valves and pipefittings. Summit has a good-looking gauge. 0-30psi is the most practical. I stayed away from the needle valve because of a past history incident. I have 3 ways to fix a leak if needed. The original banjo bolts with gaskets, 1/8” pipe plug and the easiest fix, copper tubing plugs/caps. I can disconnect the tubing and put the tubing caps on in about a minute. You do not need the needle valve for controlling gauge needle bounce. If you think that you might, just buy the liquid filled gauges. I was also asked where I installed into the fuel line. I used the tapped banjo bolt from Jeno’s in the inlet of the filter and the inlet of the injector pump.
http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo....BF-LONG-TAPPED
If you use only one gauge, it needs to be on the IP. The reason for 2 gauges is if I were to lose pressure at the IP, I would not have to guess if it is the filter. Plus the work involved in seeing if it is the filter when you are usually not in your shop when it happens.
I can give you advise on the electrical fittings, glass and o-rings. Just ask.
I might not get right back to you, I hate spending time on this thing. Usually research only. Facts not gossip.