24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Mechanical fuel press gauge install. (Unconventional)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mechanical fuel press gauge install. (Unconventional)

This is my first post on this forum, so I hope the pictures will install correctly. When I purchased this Dodge diesel 2002 , I had heard that there was a concern with the fuel press on this model. I researched this site for info, and found plenty. Thanks
I wanted to install some gauges and I wanted mechanical. I know that there is a concern with safety and also the smell of diesel in the cab if a gauge or line was to leak. I saw some comments that there was not a very reliable way to install mechanical gauges in the cab. I need to let you know that I am not the ordinary follow the book type of person. I kind of feed on comments like that.
So the following pictures will explain what I did to do the install. The purpose was so that if there were a leak it would drain to the outside of the cab. I put them at a location that when anyone entered the truck, they would not see them. All I have to do is lean forward about even with the steering wheel to see them. I can say that seeing the press takes the worry out of “am I burning the injector pump up”. Fuel system is still stock original. I have only just installed a trans temp gauge because I pull a 5th wheel. (Installed it in the ashtray). And I have a Banks exhaust/engine brake (auto). I highly recommend that anyone with a 1998.5 to 2002 year model to put some kind of fuel press gauge on the inlet of IP.
I purchased some 1-1/2” gauges with back connections, electrical fittings, Plexiglas, and some o-rings. I cut the Plexiglas to fit the electrical fittings. I cut out the S/S plate, because the flanges on the fittings were not big enough to pull down the carpet correctly and still look good. I also wanted 2 gauges, before filter and at the IP. Just for conversation I have 14psi at idle, 11psi at 55mph, and 7psi at WOT. At WOT I have 8psi before filter and 7psi at the IP. At idle and at 55mph the gauges read the same press.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

You cannot see them unless you lean forward.
[IMG][/IMG]

I put some foam in the bottom to keep dirt from getting on the glass.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-10-2009, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's an interesting setup.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:50 PM

You dont have trouble seeing the guages at cruise and WOT ? Seems like a safety issue to me.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
You dont have trouble seeing the guages at cruise and WOT ? Seems like a safety issue to me.
I am not an idiot.
WOT was checked by the passenger.
Here is the routine.
While I am putting seat belt on, I lean forward and look at gauge. If I am at 14psi at idle I know that I am good to go for that trip. The lift pumps tends to get weaker as time goes by. If it quits all of a sudden, then even a gauge that you can see will do you no good.
I hope "you" never adjust the radio, open the glovebox or look at your passanger while "you" are driving. That would be unsafe.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Prostar 190
I am not an idiot.
WOT was checked by the passenger.
Here is the routine.
While I am putting seat belt on, I lean forward and look at gauge. If I am at 14psi at idle I know that I am good to go for that trip. The lift pumps tends to get weaker as time goes by. If it quits all of a sudden, then even a gauge that you can see will do you no good.
I hope "you" never adjust the radio, open the glovebox or look at your passanger while "you" are driving. That would be unsafe.

At no point did I EVER say or imply that you were an idiot. If you dont want peoples opinions - maybe its best not to post because a lot of people will share their opinions and ideas here, whether they are right or wrong - thats what sites like this are all about.

All I said was that it would be hard to see the guages while youre on the road. My FP guages are down by the 4X4 shifter, and I just have a few seconds at a time for a glance at them.

On a stock truck, lift pumps generally dont all of a sudden quit - this is why a guage is a good idea...you can usually see the pressure drop over time.

My radio controls are on my steering wheel so I dont have to worry about that.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:55 PM

It's still an interesting setup.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:04 PM

No doubt about that.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:25 PM

I'm far too curious about what's happening with my gauges. I check them all the time - sweep the dashboard gauges, then sweep the a-pillar gauges, especially when I'm towing. I've had two FP failures, and both of them were preceded by several hours of the needle bouncing around (check ***** letting loose) - enough time to get me to a major city where I could rig up replacement pumps.

So I'm afraid I'd bend over too much to check that kind of set-up, and end up in some poor, sweet woman's lap - as she braked in front of me.

Hmmm... sounds Evil.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:25 PM

I like the gauges where I can see them at a glance.... they get checked more often that way. In fact, when my last lift pump died, it was an intermittant on/off thing. When it was "on", I had normal full pressure... when it was "off", I had about 1 to 2 psi. It was actually the movement of the needle that caught my eye ... peripherial vision. If I had the gauge "out of sight", I never would have noticed it.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:29 AM

Interesting idea. I understand why your worried about fuel into the cab. I was worried too before I went for it, but I'm really not the least bit concerned at this point after running it for a while.

Even if my setup did leak, the needle valve only passes a trickle to the gauge to get a reading, and I could easily close the valve until the leak can be fixed. Plus, it's only 14psi to begin with, the pushlock fittings and fuel line I used are rated for applications using much, much higher psi.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:29 AM

I lOVE IT, I have a Quad Commander on the dash but I have had trouble with the fuel pressure sending unit and would like a guage like yours. Can you post a picture of where you spiced into the the fuel system and what brand of guage.

Thanks a million
Old 02-12-2009, 02:12 AM

Wow, that is a cool setup. Mine is mounted next to the airbag controller near the 4 by shifter. As far as fuel in the cab go's I bought a steel braided line that utilizes flared fittings from summit, its made by autometer. Its a faily stout line and I dont think it will fail. Also I too have a needle valve that I can shut off if a failure occurs.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:27 AM

you people worry to much,older cars,trucks,farm euipment had mech. oil pressure gauges with hot oil ,lots of pressure and in 50yrs of being a mechanic never seen a failure yet
Old 02-12-2009, 05:39 AM

olddodge trucks Ditto,

The Rings Holding the gage is inovative, But I would not care for the location.

2 Most Important gages Oil, & , Fuel pressure

Gage for Accuracy ,Low pressure Light for Attention, AND WARNING HORN
to wake you up...

Note, FP Gage changed to 30PSI Full Scale..,
Left Light is FP, Right Light Is Oil Pressure
Old 02-12-2009, 10:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Throw away the nylon tubing that comes with the kit and use copper line. $10.00 investment. olddodgetrucks is correct. I have a 60 year old Chevy pickup that my dad bought new and the original oil pressure line has never been touched or altered. It has never leaked and works like it did when new. I am going to put a mechanical fuel pressure gauge inside my Ram cab and I am not a bit worried. Coil the tube and you will always have more flex than you need in the event that it should be bumped.
I really like your setup Prostar 190, it's a very clever fabrication. I don't personally scan my gauges while I drive so your location would work fine for the purpose for which they were intended.

Quick Reply: Mechanical fuel press gauge install. (Unconventional)