24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Manual Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual Tranny

I have an 01 5 speed and lately I have noticed that it seems harder to get it into gear after a I have been sitting at a red light or have come to a stop. It used to do it everyonce in a while and I would have to let it role a few inches and then put it in gear but now it seems to do it a lot more. What could this mean.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:44 PM

Sounds like the clutch master/slave cylinder. When it starts going bad, even though you have the clutch pedal on the floor, its as if you only have the pedal 3/4 of the way in. Does that make sense? The good news is that you can get the master/slave cyl at a dealer & replace it yourself.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:56 PM

Ya that does make sense. I forgot to mention that sometimes wen it finally does go into gear the truck will jolt a little bit. Just a little, not much but i can feel it move. That also sounds like what you said wadecool. About how much does the part cost and will it hurt anything if I dont replace it right away
Old 03-24-2009, 10:11 PM

seems like input shaft is still spinning while trying to put it into gear, when the cheap pilot bearings in the flywheels go bad it keeps the shaft spining just enough to make it hard to put it into gear. or clutch is on its way out... hydros will almost always leak if there is a problem look closely at them especially where it connects to the pedal to see if it's wet around there....
Old 03-24-2009, 10:16 PM

actually in the last like 6 months i have noticed that the clutch squeeks a little when i push it in sometime. i will prob end up taking it to a mechanic on this one. im pretty clueless with this particulart kind of stuff
Old 03-24-2009, 10:18 PM

hate to admit it
Old 03-25-2009, 01:14 AM

That's why I wish our clutches were adjustable, you could back it off a little bit to get the clutch brake to grab and get the most life out of the clutch
Old 03-25-2009, 10:57 AM

Captaincoop, what will happen is that cylinder will continue get weaker until you lose it completely. You will push the clutch pedal in & get no resistance. Then, when you want to stop the truck you'll have to shut down the engine, when starting forward you'll have to put it in 1st with engine off then start the engine & HANG ON. Shifting thru rest of the gears is just a matter of getting the rpms right. I had this happen on a long trip on the interstate. Just so you know, you can drive it like that but its real hard on the syncros.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:57 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Change the oil in the manual transmission. You will be surprised.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:53 PM

I agree that changing the tranny oil regularly will help it a lot, but the problem Captaincoop is having is with his clutch master/slave cyl which is what makes the pedal engage & disengage.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:07 PM

Ok im kinda confused. Its a problem with the master cylinder? And can that be fixed or replaced without messing with the actuall clutch?
Old 03-26-2009, 02:25 PM

The master/slave cylinder is a one piece unit that you can get at the dealer but check at Napa first, I think they're cheaper. It basically attaches to the pedal & clutch plate so when you push the pedal in & out it engages/disengages the clutch. You don't have to mess with the clutch itself. I changed my in a gravel lot in Louisana full of fire ants in record time. Let me know if you need help.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:29 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Captain Coop
Ok im kinda confused. Its a problem with the master cylinder? And can that be fixed or replaced without messing with the actuall clutch?
Yes! The master and slave can be replaced without disassembling the clutch. After reading your second post I see that it is a hydraulic problem as you say there's a "little jolt". However an oil change of the actual transmission oil will really smooth things out, but it looks like you are also looking at a master and slave change. Pretty easy really.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:47 PM

Wouldn't it be smarter to check it out first instead of just throwing parts at it that might not work??? just my opinion....weak pedal would lead more to bad hydros or leaking hydros....
Old 03-26-2009, 03:18 PM

What is there to check out? That cylinder unit is sealed so you can't do anything with it once it starts going bad, which is why the pedal is weak. The symptoms he's having are a sign that its going bad. I know cause I had the EXACT same symptoms.

Quick Reply: Manual Tranny