24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Major PITA fuel pressure problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Major PITA fuel pressure problem

OK here goes, I bught a 3500 with 190k miles on it a few monthes back, It has a few issues which I am trying to figure out possibly related,

first, the truck seems to surge when throttle is partially depressed, it runs/shifts fine when floored, at first I messed with the fluid level in the tranny and this seems to change things for a little bit but now it is pretty consistant, so I am thinking maybe the APPS or perhaps the wire going to the passenger side battery/altenator thing, this is a secondary problem comparred to this

I installed a fuel pressure guage shortly after I got the truck figure(ing) It would fix the above issue. it worked perfect for about 2 weeks, since it was a fuel pressure setup I thought maybe just maybe the diesel fuel(oil) was too thick, and clogged up the sending unit to the FP guage, because it started acting funny and eventually stopped working, all the time the truck still did the same things mentioned above. just to be safe I replace my lift pump with a brand new one and no reading on the guage at all or maybe 1 psi it is so little I cant really tell

so thinking it was the guage, this time oil pressure, a different brand guage and sending unit, which I installed today, still the same low pressure reading, so my question is Why what etc. is there a place that will cause a fuel pressure lossas I am not looking to kill the VP obviously
Old 02-02-2009, 08:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what about the fuel filter? did you change it?
is the gauge mechanical or electric? if electric a loose wire?
are you using just diesel fuel and not biodiesel or other fuels? the gel temps will change.

-dkenny
Old 02-02-2009, 09:15 PM

fuel filter is brand new I did it when I fit the FP guage on a few monthes back
Guage is and was electrical (both FP and oil)
just diesel fuel, I thought of gelling so I poured in diesel 911 and another anti gel additive which name escapes me
Old 02-02-2009, 10:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
u installed a guage in the hopes of fixing the issue ? the gauge will let u know if there is a fp prob. and there seems to be one....if its reading low u have low fp or just a defective sending unit...sounds like u r fuel starving, need a pusher pump.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:38 AM

NO I installed a guage to keep an eye on my fp like everyone should with these trucks, and with hopes that I would learn something from the reading but like i said I was thinking I had a faulty guage or sending unit but they are both new, as of yesterday,
Old 02-03-2009, 08:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have seen BRAND new LP's come out of the box bad.
Go get a airdog or fass. I chose to use an Areomotive pump on the frame with a regulator. This has cured the low pressure issues. 12-16 all the time.
The factory lift pump system is a bad joke on these trucks.
One more thing, I suggest that you remove the line at the lift pump, then pressurize the tank to about 15 psi to see if it flows. You may have a restriction in the tank.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:56 AM

how about if I start the truck and then pressurize the tank to see if my guage pressure rises?
Old 02-03-2009, 08:28 PM

I had an electric FP guage on mine for several months. I replaced the sending unit 3 times. I finally got tired of hoping my guage was working and replaced with a mechanical guage.

My guage would work sometime and then sometimes fluctuate all over
Old 02-04-2009, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by D2 Cat
I had an electric FP guage on mine for several months. I replaced the sending unit 3 times. I finally got tired of hoping my guage was working and replaced with a mechanical guage.

My guage would work sometime and then sometimes fluctuate all over
thats lovely where did you tie into for a mechanical guage?
Old 02-05-2009, 10:31 PM

I put a "T" right at the IP. I also installed a needle valve so if I ever had a fuel leak in the cab I could shut it off. The valve also dampens the vibration to the guage.