24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Maintenance Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 09:11 AM
Banned

Location: Newman Lake, WA (But my home is deep in the heart of Texas!)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maintenance Questions

Well, I started a cool little spreadsheet today to religeously track my maintenance activities which is based on Schedule B in my owners manual. After entering all my stuff so far it looks at 32k I have not:

1. Changed the Fuel Filter.
2. Inspected the Water Pump weep hole.
3. Serviced the Crank Case breather bottle.
4. Inspected the brakes.
5. Flushed the tranny/adjusted bands.
6.Flushed the coolant.

Everything else I have kept up with perfectly. As I live in an apartment I have no place to work on it so I usually bring it in. Dodge wants like 300.00 + to do the 30K service but I would rather do everything myself except the tranny work to save the dough. I probably am a Schedule A as I drive 10 miles to work and back daily, don't haul anything (except 2- 10 pound butt cheeks ) and off-road infrequently.

Considering my warranty expires soon, It's time to start babying my baby. Can someone comment on the items above? (i.e. the best way to do items 1-4 and 6?) I have worked on cars for years but never a diesel. ALSO....that pesky lift pump. I don't have gauges so I am getting worried about it. Comments anyone?

Thanks 1,000,000.00 !
Old 06-17-2004, 09:43 AM

http://www.lonewolf-software.com/automotivewolf.htm

This software is the great thing since sliced bread. It will remind you of everything you need to take care of. It has increased my MPG and perfromance bacuase of keeping the that big beast lube properly.

The software is only $30 bucks and it is well worth it!

Download a trial version and try it for a month you won't be sorry!!!
Old 06-17-2004, 01:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
T.A.

The more I read, learn and expirience, the more I feel the following is true. Can't prove it but it makes sense.
Best protection against Fuel Pump/Lift Pump problems is:
1-Change Fuel Filter @ 10,000 to 12,000 miles;
2-Keep your tank full as much as possible; fill it before it gets below 1/2, other than long hwy trips;
3-Use a Fuel Conditioner with lubricity additive.

Items 1, 4, 6, can be done anywhere (5 gal bucket for #6 to drain radiator; do it 2-3 times at monthly intervals will change 98% of fluid) Not best method for #6 but will work as a do-it-yourselfer.

Item 5 - ASAP on Changing fluid & Filter (assuming factory fluid still in there). Forget about bands unless you are having shifting problems. Dropping trans pan only gets filter & 50% of fluid out. Never heard of 47RE needing band adjustment this early. Also change Transfer Case (overdue) and front & rear gearlubes. My Transfer case fluid looked like burnt, black engine oil at 32,000, with no towing.

Forget #2 unless loosing fluid from Over Flow Bottle, JMO.

All the above is based on Apt dweller wanting to do it yourself.

Best solution is: get on e-bay and buy CD 2002 Service Manual. Can find easily for $10-30.00. Will tell you all.

Rowland
Old 06-17-2004, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1 and 2 can easily be done in the apartment parking space.
Get the filter from Cummins or Geno's.

3 should be being done by the Dealer if that's where you're having the oil changed.

4 is easily done by taking off the wheels and looking at the brakes.
Should be pretty obvious if any of the pads are worn down.

I took mine to the Dealer for #5, was just over $100.
While it's there, have them test the lift pump pressure, request a deal on price since you already have it there for the tranny service.

6 might be hard to pull off at the apartment.
Not sure what the Dealer charges for it, you could probably get it done a lot cheaper at a quick lube place.
Supply your own antifreeze and it shouldn't be much at all.
I prefer Fleetguard Compleat 50/50 mix, available at any Cummins outlet or Big Rig shop.

phox
Old 06-17-2004, 07:41 PM
Banned

Location: Newman Lake, WA (But my home is deep in the heart of Texas!)
Hey, thanx guys! This weekend I am going to do as much as my pocketbook can afford.......even totaly detail, top to bottom that ol' mud slinger. Spent a wad at wallyworld last night on wax, armorall, carpet cleaner, wheel shine......you name it.

Also, silly me, I forgot I get a 5 year 100k warranty on the drive train.....WHUT WUZ I THINKIN' !!!!!

No matter, I am still gonna baby it!

Question....have you ever seen the smile on a 6 yr. old little boy's face when he is sitting in your lap steering the wheel piling through mud hole after mud hole????? (At the ORV park of course)

PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!