24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Low Fuel Pressure? FASS System?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low Fuel Pressure? FASS System?

Alright guys, I am aware that this topic has been beaten to death, but I cannot find any topics addressing my problem. When I start my truck in the morning, it typically idles at around 6psi until I give it some time to warm up. After getting up to 8 or 9 psi, I usually consider it safe to drive. After driving for a bit, the truck will begin to idle at 10psi, cruise at 8psi, and WOT at 6psi. Am I killing my Injection Pump? I do not have much money to replace with a better system, but I am well aware that you gotta pay to play, and I would rather spend $700 on a FASS system than replace my Injection Pump for twice the price.

Also, I am considering going with the FASS system because it seems to be the most reliable. My truck is not modded currently, but I would like to leave the option to mod out there, so what FASS system should I get? What about bigger line kits for the FASS system? Are there current kits that will replace the banjo bolts and the fuel line available for the FASS system? Thanks guys, I appreciate any help.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by turbotom
Alright guys, I am aware that this topic has been beaten to death, but I cannot find any topics addressing my problem. When I start my truck in the morning, it typically idles at around 6psi until I give it some time to warm up. After getting up to 8 or 9 psi, I usually consider it safe to drive. After driving for a bit, the truck will begin to idle at 10psi, cruise at 8psi, and WOT at 6psi. Am I killing my Injection Pump? I do not have much money to replace with a better system, but I am well aware that you gotta pay to play, and I would rather spend $700 on a FASS system than replace my Injection Pump for twice the price.

Also, I am considering going with the FASS system because it seems to be the most reliable. My truck is not modded currently, but I would like to leave the option to mod out there, so what FASS system should I get? What about bigger line kits for the FASS system? Are there current kits that will replace the banjo bolts and the fuel line available for the FASS system? Thanks guys, I appreciate any help.

You're not killing your injection pump if it doesn't go under 5 psi or so at any point... however, you are dangerously close, especially at WOT and cold idle. This is where I had the most problems with mine being low... and it only got worse.

For the 700 you spend on the FASS system, you get a lot of stuff. It comes with all the things you're asking about. Complete new, larger line from the tank to the FASS and FASS to injection pump, replaces the restrictive banjo fitting at the IP. Your only decision is whether you should get the 95 or 150gph unit... Personally I went with the 150GPH unit, and see 16-18 psi ALL the time. I expect that to go up a bit when I install my Vulcan Draw Straw later on this spring (too cold to drop the tank or pull the bed in the driveway).
Old 02-09-2007, 05:16 PM

For your truck and anything you would ever throw at it:

FASS 150/95-1008

150 Series, 95 GPH, for a 98.5-04.5 Dodge Truck....
Old 02-09-2007, 11:37 PM

Diesel-Dan,
I am not sure if you will like this question, but please answer to the best of your ability. If you were put in a situation where you had to compare the FASS system to the GDP or other fueling systems, what areas does the FASS system excel in? I am looking for a pump that is going to last right along with the motor, and something that after installing, I will never have to worry about aside from changing a filter here and there. Basically, why should I go with a system that is more expensive, louder, and offers less fuel pressure than I can get from another system? I am not criticizing the FASS system, I am actually leaning towards it, I just need to know if I am spending money wisely. Thank you for your help.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:04 PM

Diesel-Dan,
I am not sure if you will like this question, but please answer to the best of your ability. If you were put in a situation where you had to compare the FASS system to the GDP or other fueling systems, what areas does the FASS system excel in? I am looking for a pump that is going to last right along with the motor, and something that after installing, I will never have to worry about aside from changing a filter here and there. Basically, why should I go with a system that is more expensive, louder, and offers less fuel pressure than I can get from another system? I am not criticizing the FASS system, I am actually leaning towards it, I just need to know if I am spending money wisely. Thank you for your help.
Hey....Honest question will get a honest answer. When i get in on Monday i will write more on this for ya.......
Old 02-12-2007, 05:38 PM

Diesel-Dan,
OK...to answer your question, i dont like to come on here and talk down other vendors products. Just not my style. I am mainly here for tech help and to answer questions in reguard to the FASS/HPFP. BUT I will tell you the benifiets of the FASS and what it has to offer:

The FASS stands for Fuel Air Separation System. This is a full kit that has a pump and fuel filtration built into one convenient package. This kit comes with all the lines and hardware to mount to your application. The main benefit from the FASS is the removal of air from the fuel. This has been a know issue by the big diesel makers. (Cat, Cummins, Etc have bulletins out on this).

Our system restores test cell conditions. This is where the engine manufactures dyno test an engine, making sure every variable is controlled. Fuel supply is one of them. They usually return fuel into a separate tank to control agitation and temp. The fuel supply is located above the engine in a separate room or on top of the building to supply positive pressure to a lift pump or the engine pump. This undisturbed fuel has almost no aeration and gives pure fuel to the injection pump and injectors for controlled testing purposes.

The FASS conditions the fuel in the same fashion, but taking steps to do this in a much harsher environment. Meaning your fuel is being returned back into the same supply tank causing aeration; fuel temperature fluctuates which has a bearing on how much air and vapor can be in the fuel; aeration from sloshing due to stop and go driving is the most common. This aeration will reduce power output and can cause fuel system damage over time. What happens it that air is compressible but fuel is not. Air will displace volume where fuel should be. This is inefficient for pop off style injectors like the 12 and 2nd gen 24 valve engine. This effectively retards timing because the air is being compressed to pop off the injector. Not unlike air in your brake system. For the 3rd gen, volume is reduces per injection event and the entrained air adds to the heat seen at the injector tip upon combustion. This could cause premature tip failure from heat and cavitation. Those are some examples.

The FASS is designed with a strong/reliable gerotor pump that has a 10,000-15,000 hr ware tested high torque motor to move the fuel to the engine. The filters used are over sized to allow extended change intervals. Normal mileage is about 50,000 miles per fuel filter. The water Separator can be cleaned with some gas or alcohol and reused. The patented air filtration take place in the fuel filter and the air is returned back to the tank via the fuel return line on the FASS. We have several different flow rates to adjust to needs of the customer as well. We have high volume low pressure kits and high volume, high pressure kits available.

We have had a design change to our ware plate in the last 2 months that has reduced pump noise significantly as well From our testing, the noise with the new plates on some pumps has been reduced up to 11 db’s. Doesn't look like a lot but its night and day to the human ear!

We also have the HPFP that is the pump portion of the FASS system. It uses the same Gerotor pump and high torque motor that is on the FASS. SO reliability will just as good. This is a less expensive option for any one wanting reliable fuel pressure. This pump is also internally regulated, so no return line is needed going back to the tank. This pump acts more like the stock fuel pump on the engine so flow issues with the intake module will not be noted. Very simple install and our lowest GPH pump (95 GPH) will just barely out flow the Walbro GSL 392 Pump. So apples to apples flow wise, the 95 GPH HPFP would be the best comparison between the Walbro 392 pump.

Both our kits in most applications offer an unmatched 1 year unconditional, 5 year extendable warranty. I don’t think you will find any one that will match that. We also do all our machining and building in the same shop. This means tighter quality standards and if something needs to be changed/implemented, we can do so without the issues of red tape getting in the way.

Its getting late here….if you need any more info or have any more questions….please feel free to ask.

ALSO....confirm that you fuel pressure gauge is reading correctly.....we see a TON of issues with gauges that get blamed on the FASS/HPFP.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:24 AM

Wow. Thank you Diesel-Dan, quite a bit of good info in that post. You have confirmed my decision on which kit to go with. I am a mechanical engineer so I love the fact that it seperates the water from the fuel, as this can in turn drastically help the overall pressure because of properties of water. However, tough to say as an engineer, the warranty is impressive because it is often true that an inferior product can outsell a better engineered product because of a warranty. I am not suggesting that the FASS system is inferior, rather that another kit not as good could outsell it based on a better warranty. My last question is, do you or any other members have a lead on where I can find the FASS 150/95-1008 kit for the least right now? Also, does anyone have a total price estimate with the extended warranty? Thank you for your help.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...do you or any other members have a lead on where I can find the FASS 150/95-1008 kit for the least right now? Also, does anyone have a total price estimate with the extended warranty? Thank you for your help.
Love my FASS... trouble free for 50,000 miles!
FASS pricing is pretty standardized. Check here for nearest dealer (lowest shipping rate).
Dealer locator here... http://www.dieselpp.com/

RJ