24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Low end and High end

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Low end and High end

I am trying to find out a few things about programmers..... I have been searching and reading about the Edge Juice w/ CTS, Smarty S-06 and TST PM3 and am contemplating getting the CTS because I want the gauges. The gauge pods on the pillar mount can only handle 3 and then if you want more you have to figure out where to mount them, so I like the clean look of the CTS. From what I understand is that this programmer is good for higher power band improvement vs the Smarty which is for improvements in the power band down low. So I was thinking about stacking these so that they work together, and improve the whole power band. Then I started reading about guys puting the CTS PM3 on their rigs and am trying to figure out where this programmer will be good. I am thinking that it is similar to the Edge and wont play well together....

Can someone please shed some light on this for me.... Google search and forum searches are turning up threads and info that are from mostly 2012 or 13 and I know its still good info, but I would like opinions that are more recent in case anything has changes with the technology....
Old 03-31-2014, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you use the search drop down on this site type in Stacking edge. stacking tst, stacking smarty. There are alot of threads out there when i just looked.

The TST is a fuel only box. This does not add any timing. so this can be stacked with a smarty, edge.

any edge box stacked with a smarty. since they both have timing and cannot take off the timing on the edge, the smarty can be used with timing/catcher software or fuel only software. so only have fuel software with smarty to stack with edge.

you will see in my signature what i have. since I have a HO Pump that has decent bottom end. plus the smarty bottom end. now top end people always talk about top end, top end is diff to many people with many diff needs.
Alot of people say I want 400,500 HP and you can get that. But most of the time when done with just injector and box these HP numbers are in the upper 2k's or in 3ks RPM's. Most people dont daily drive a diesel in these RPM's.
So people throw in bigger smoother injectors. a better Turbo or a CAM that will enhance the "Power band" lack of better terms. to bring power on earlier or to stay in the power/TQ longer.

Gauges.
the built in gauges are great. It is a matter of Personal pref, I have always had mechanical gauges. If i have an issue with one of them its only one of them. its really personal choice. FYI there are side pillar Holders that will accept 4 gauges. since you have a manual. not sure what gauges you want but I have only ever had a 0-60boost. EGT, and very important fuel pressure. I'm not downing the EDGE unit. I know alot of folks that love it.

any other questions fire away. I know where you are at with trying to get info I was there, Ive been there and still there.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:22 AM

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
I think one thing you are finding out is you cant have your cake and eat it too. You really need to decide how you want to use the truck. Drag racing, pulling, towing, all street, off road etc. They all require a different setup and there isn't one out there that will do it all. You want good low end you need a quick spooling turbo with quick fueling. You want great high end you will want a larger turbo which is going to hurt turbo spoolup and low end. Once you get away from your primary intended use its all about compromise and how much are you willing to live in that grey area. Its about learning to drive that combo (whatever that combo maybe) to best fulfill your various needs at various times. It is not that hard to get great hp out of these trucks the formulas are out there but whether it will be driveable or acceptable for all your uses is another story. Some have no problem driving a slow spooling smoke pig around town so that they can burn up the track on the weekend. Others abhor smoke and want a quick spooling turbo to eliminate it. Whether we want to admit it or not Dodge actually did a pretty good job in getting their setup to be the best of as many worlds as possible.

Each truck seems to have its own behavior at least to a certain degree. Where you live can make what works for someone else not work for you. California and others have the smog testing, in Colorado they test for opacity only on the front range, other states have nothing. What works at sea level may not work well here in Colorado or any other higher elevation area. People say the turbo compensates for the altitude well it does to a certain degree but I can say from my experience it doesn't cover all the bases. Even here in town where I am at 6k elevation my truck behaves differently at 8k, or 11k elevation as well as different at sea level. If you are just driving down the freeway at altitude no problem but get in the twisty curveys at 10k elevation with a trailer and your turbo/setup will show you who is boss. Yes you can adjust your driving to deal but you have to adjust your driving, you need to know the weak areas of your setup to drive around the problems when they arise.

dieselwrks hit the nail on the head- been there and still there.

Also on gauges there is also a dash mount 3 gauge pod. I started with three on the pillar. Then went with edge juice with attitude (which can display 4 parameters) on the pillar then added the dash pod, had the gauges already so why not use them right.