24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

lost boost psi...help me find asap!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lost boost psi...help me find asap!

I've got a bit of a problem. Somewhere over the last few days I've lost 5 psi of boost WOT under load. I've checked all of the usual suspects such as clamps, hoses, gauge lines. All check out. It feels like the WG is somehow coming open. The adjustable boost elbow I installed was a little loose, gave it a few turns and called it good. Hose to the WG was good. Just thinking out loud here.....could the teflon tape have melted causing a leak at the elbow? Can boost psi leak past the allen head screw in the elbow its self? I'm scratching my head here.

Oh and above all....Merry Christmas!!
Old 12-24-2005, 12:02 AM

I doubt you would loose 5 lbs past the threads on the elbow. double check everything, I've had the connection at the intercooler blow off but when you looked at it it looked like it was still attached then when you drove it the boost just wasnt there. Also had a loos bolt on the intake plate that was alowing pressure to escape. Do you have a small pair of vice grips? Clamp off the wast gate hose go for a ride be carefull now, watch your gauge to se if it builds more boost, if so maybe the spring in the little canister that holds the wg closed is getting weak..?
I used this method to set mine, I was able to clamp it off to see what it would do and the EGT result then I adjusted the wg to where I wanted it.
Can hit over 50psi with it clamped off. I now have it adjusted to about 45 max.
Hope you can find it.

One more thing, did you check your air filter? A little dirty maybe?

dan
Old 12-24-2005, 07:33 AM

Recheck all hoses, clamps, and the intake gasket. The intercooler hose on the passenger side in known to wear on the inner fender so there may be a hole in it. Also as mentioned be sure all the boots are pushed securely on prior to tightening. The intake gasket can also be a problem be sure to check the manifold gasket (remove the manifold bolts to check this so you can see the entire gasket, sometimes an entire piece will be gone and you can't see it without the cove removed). One other piece to check is the intake horns 2 gaskets.....

Doug
Old 12-24-2005, 01:21 PM

I don't want to steal the thread but I do have a boost question. My truck is stock so this may be normal but my boost only goes to about 16-18 psi when I really open her up. Is this about right for my truck??? I just read about people easily getting 20 and closer to 30 at WOT. Just checking so thanks and here is your thread back!!!!!
Old 12-24-2005, 01:23 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tayloe08
I don't want to steal the thread but I do have a boost question. My truck is stock so this may be normal but my boost only goes to about 16-18 psi when I really open her up. Is this about right for my truck??? I just read about people easily getting 20 and closer to 30 at WOT. Just checking so thanks and here is your thread back!!!!!
I can get a hair over 20. (stock) No-one is getting to 30 without some kind of modifications.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:29 PM

Thanks P.J. I figured everything was about right since the truck seemed to run fine but just a little confused so Thanks again!!!
Old 12-24-2005, 01:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got 16 and thought it was low. I made the mistake of trusting the filter minder that my filter was clean. I changed the filter and got another 3-4 lbs of boost.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:40 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Silverjay
I got 16 and thought it was low. I made the mistake of trusting the filter minder that my filter was clean. I changed the filter and got another 3-4 lbs of boost.
We were just talking Filter Minder in another thread, don't trust it. It takes quite a bit to draw it down, once you are to that point you have lost economy (and apparently boost!)
Old 12-24-2005, 04:18 PM

I made a boost leak dectector last summer out of pvc pipe and a air compressor gauge. The pictures of it are in my pic gallery just hook it to an air compressor it will take about 10-20 psi you can hear all the leaks that way. Don't put much more than 20 psi in it or it might blow off the turbo. Hope it helps.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:06 PM

I made the same thing but then built 2x2 pieces of wood to brace the pvc on the turbo to keep it in place, this lets me take her up to 40-45 psi word to the wise through a pair of coveralls over the pressure tester just incase
Old 12-24-2005, 05:59 PM

Thanks to all that responded. I think I found my problem. I think I found a pin hole in the pass side boot. I'll look at it tomorrow. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2005, 10:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1/4 cup dish soap in water sprayed out of a windex bottle will show you with bubbles!! Simple fix!

Rick
Old 12-25-2005, 08:29 AM

if you need a new boot I can tell you the pdr boots are cheaper in price and WAY better in quality. the only bummer is putting them on they are tougher then a montana boot, you will remember putting them on forever.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:26 AM

PDR boots are awsome! The trick to putting them on is to put them in boiling water for about 20 minutes and then using heavy gloves just shove them on.

Doug
Old 12-25-2005, 11:10 AM
The Guru

I've been thinking about this boost leak idea of your guys. Wouldn't you have to make sure that all the engines valves in the cylinder head are closed? With the intake and exhaust valve open, the air should just go out the exhaust pipe, unless you have a high volume air compressor. I guess a guy could just back off the rocker arms on the valves that are open. I'm gonna try this one out and see. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: lost boost psi...help me find asap!