24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Loss of Boost Pressure and Power Towing

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loss of Boost Pressure and Power Towing

My truck has not had boost pressure when towing several times on our trip. Usually a rap or two on the turbo charger with a tool would restore boost. However a few days ago near Tupolo, MS I had no powet when towing, no boost and raps on the turbocharger would not get it back. Idling in park or neutral the EGT was 600. I disconnected the truck and drove into Tupolo.

There was heavy black smoke, high EGT, no power, and the truck would not go faster than 25 mph with EGT at or over 1200! I stopped to make a cell phone call and left the engine run. When I drove off I had boost, normal EGT and power!! The local Dodge dealer could not find any bad codes, fuel pressure, waste gate sticking, or any turbocharger malfunction! After a hour of work they decided I had a bad case of "beats me" and sent me on my way. (No charge.) Here is a dealer I woudl go back to.

I am approaching having to throw parts at the truck until one of them fixes the problem. So far the Phoenix Dodge dealer replaced my fuel transfer pump to fix the problem (it did not). Two other Dodge dealers were unable to find anything wrong. Something is sticking, or failing to work, and then starting to work. I am praying that we can make Columbia SC OK and there I may start throwing parts at the truck. It seems to me that the turbocharger or waste gate is going bad

Any suggestions?
Old 03-24-2006, 09:19 AM

Stupid question is your exhaust brake still opening. The reason i ask this is i has a very similer situation a few weeks ago with my rig and my e-brake failed closed and had no boost, lots of smoke, high egt's, couldnt get over 25mph myself, and no power. I yanked the exhaust brake off and had no trouble since. It was a Pac Brake by the way

the other thing that comes to mind would be if you blew an intercooler boot or if there is a hole in it.

HTH,
brad
Old 03-24-2006, 12:57 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My bet is the exhaust brake.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:48 PM

look at the turbo, pop the intake off and feel the shaft play....is it smooth? another thing to check is your boost/intercooler boots, you may not see a small cut but it will produce similar circumstances. you have an issue with the airflow, it could be at the filter, turbo, intecooler or manifold, but I'd put money that it is among those things.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:44 PM

One other thing to check would be the MAP sensor. If wiggling loose you will lose boost signal, and turbo will be ineffective. I would imagine it would send a check engine light, but not 100% positive. Never hurts to have a look.