24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Looks like a pinion seal required

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like a pinion seal required

Hi,
It's pinion seal time in the dually. What size socket do I need?? 3/4 drive for sure at least.

What rear end lube.?? Dana 80 and positraction. 5spd 4.10.

I need to be prepared as I'll be by myself and not in walking distance from the parts store.

thanks
Old 07-05-2007, 11:27 PM

1-7/8" IIRC. An impact would be very helpful if you can get your hands on one. Its torqued to 450 ft-lbs, so its fairly tight. If you're doing it with just hand tools, make sure you have a pipe wrench big enough to go on the yoke, and a snipe for the 3/4" ratchet. When you try to bust the nut loose, it will move the truck, even with the brakes on. Put the pipe wrench on the yoke and jam it into the ground (concrete would be the best) so when you start torqueing on it, the pinion won't turn. When we torqued it up, put the pipe wrench they other way, and put a 2 ton trolley jack under the ratchet and jacked it up. I have no idea what the torque is, but its tight and doesn't leak. Gears at setup with shims only, no crush sleeve, so you won't affect pinion depth by over tightening the yoke, although you still don't want to do it.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:20 AM

Thanks, that's almost exactly the process I had in mind. I have a pinion holder I made up for the 9" Fords that I do. I planned on making something for the Dana 80 too. At first I thought I could use the 4 u-bolt holes but I think it's possible to shear off even gr 8 bolts so I thought something to grip the outside of the pinion. I forgot about the old fashionded but true pipe wrench. I think I'll just do that. I got the jack. 450 ft-lbs is a tug anyway you look at it. I'm glad these use shims rather than crush sleeve. I convert 9" Fords to shims and spacer for this reason.

Ok, terminology.
the 1 7/8" IIRC I'm assuming is a standard socket. Will an impact socket fit ??? IIRC is not familar. Pardon my lack of understanding.

A "snipe" I'm guessing is a torque multiplier. I don't have one but I have used them. I just saw one at harbor Freight. I'll probably have to test their warrantee. haha

Somewhere in all this exotic pile of tools there has to be a pinion seal. So I'm going to head to NAPA and get the seal first so I don't forget it . haha

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One problem I had with my 1-7/8 socket was the outside diameter was 2.51”. This would not fit inside the yoke. I turned about an inch down to 2.45” in diameter. I knew those inexpensive sockets from a far-off-land were good for something and I can’t let someone with the same first name find out the hard way.
Attached Thumbnails Looks like a pinion seal required-socket1.jpg  
Old 07-06-2007, 10:02 PM

haha Thanks bent.. That's perfect. It will save a lot of banned words. I'm going to pick up a socket and take it over to the machine shop as I don't have a lathe.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:01 PM

IIRC means 'If I Recall Correctly'.

A snipe is a multiplier to a degree. To the degree that a greater radius with a given force will produce greater torque. Or in other words, put a pipe on the end of the ratchet, and stand on it.

I had to rent a 3/4" socket set, and the 1-7/8" socket fit perfectly. So if you have a couple kits to choose frome, take a set of verniers (or a tape if you have to) and check the OD's on them.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:57 AM

Thanks tate, Looks like exploratory surgery is called for to make sure the socket fits and I have to check out the torq multiplier. I hope it's up to the job.