24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Long.. Auto Trannys; Problems and Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long.. Auto Trannys; Problems and Upgrades

I am farely new to the Diesel world. I bought myself an 01 Dodge 3/4 Quad cab 4x4. With an Auto in it. <br><br>First I have a question.. I think that the Tourq converter is going out in the Dodge? It has 46,000 miles on it. Here are the symtom's.. (could just be a u-joint too.... I hope) <br><br>When you get on the go pedel moderate to hard say getting onto the Interstate, the truck has a vib and or shudder when it shifts... after every shift but as you billed speed it goes away, then bump next gear same vib.. till you hit about 70mph and then the vib stays there and the faster you go the worse it gets.. Just like a high speed vib.. And it also does it in town at like 30 mph to just cruzzing town.. has a little vib? So.. Does this sould like a tourq converter slipping? or just the joint.. I am going to check joints this weekend. but I gots to get the vibs gone.. gatta be able to go at least 85... or they would be some long trips.. :-[<br><br>Second.... I am going to be buying some hop up parts ;D for the beast.. thinking 4-5&quot; staight exhaust, DD2 injectors, and maybe an EZ box... but I know that the Old tranny if the torq converter isn't bad yet it will be... I need to know what I need to do to the tranny,, Can I just get away with a new valve body and shift kit or will I have to replace the torq converter also? [undecided] your thoughts? and where to buy some quality parts from.. <br><br>Thanks Matt
Old 02-18-2003, 10:32 AM
Banned

Re:Long.. Auto Trannys; Problems and Upgrades

Sounds kinda like your tc is slipping. Do your rpm's climb with your speed when you are in third gear? If they climb faster or seem to jump alot, chances are your TC is slipping. If it is slipping, you'll need to replace it since that power combo (which is a good choice but I recommend the Edge Comp instead of EZ and I'll tell you why in a sec) will easily overpower your slipping TC. You can go with the ATS Triple Lock, DTT, Suncoast, or Bully Dog. All of them make a great TC adn whole tranny setup for our trucks. I'd suggest at the least, a new TC and VB upgrade. If you can afford it, a whole new tranny is the best way to go but isn't completely neccesary. You'll love either setup.<br><br>Now on to why your going to want the comp instead of the EZ. The EZ adds 65hp and the injectors add like 80. Give or take 10 with both. That's a nice little gain. But the Cmop will give you anywhere from stock to 120 extra hp. PLUS, the power of the injectors. Also, each of the 5 levels of the comp have five additional levels that control low boost smoke. Basically, those low boost levels control the amount of fuel and timing that is added in when there is no boost so you can control the smoke levels. With the new TC and VB, you can run both and get a lot more power plus more adjustability for everyday driving. Plus, you can mount the Comp on the inside of the truck for changes of power levels on the fly.
Old 02-18-2003, 10:59 AM

xj2
IF I were you I would just buy a whole new tranny but if you just want something that you wont be doing sled pulling stuff then just get the TC. I ran a 80 hp chip on my truck till it barley just barley started slipping. Now I have a Bully Dog TC and a 130HP chip. ;D I would just get a TC and VB done. Then you'll be quite happy with it. Just running that chip on 5x5. ;D You'll make alot of your friends just :'(
Old 02-18-2003, 12:20 PM

Well I would like to keep the costs down and I the type of pulling I do ( car trailer and my XJ Jeep, Only like a dozen times a year). I am thinking that just a TC and the VB is what I will probely end up doing..<br><br> As for the vibs the RPM doesnt really jump around nor rev higher than what I would expect. the truck is pulling pretty good threw each gear.. .. but I didnt know that if the TC was just starting to go if it would just vib and not literaly slip ( jump the RPM's).. Are there diffrent TC.. Say stalls.. or are they all about the same and if there are.. what do you all recomend.. <br><br> And on a side note.. Would you all go for the Injectors of the Edge comp for the first mod after the tranny,, which would be more bang for the buck.. and just so ya know I am ordering my gauges here pretty soon also .. Tranny, Boost, Pyro, <br><br>Ok since I have your attention, is there anywhere to hook the tranny temp gauge up easaly.. like pull a plug some where or an adapter to buy to make it easier.. just wondering.. and thanks for the great follow up's .. <br><br>Matt
Old 02-18-2003, 03:46 PM

Just get a ATS Triple Lok TC and get the Injectors for the Edge Comp. And for the gauges I would get fuel pressure and EGT and Boost. You dont really need tranny unless you doing towing everyday but you said you maybe tow once a month on average.Or get all 4 gauges.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:33 PM

Matt, just something to think about has the transmission ever been serviced. I had the same thing talking about the shuttering and serviced the trans. and has not done so sinced. I had 37k when serviced. Just something to consider. <br><br><br> Doug
Old 02-18-2003, 06:54 PM

I'd get a DTT VB/TC, and some stage 3 injectors. that should keep you happy for a while, then you can get a box, and twins, JR Injectors, and...and...and.... ;D

It's a long path my friend, choose wisly.

Also take the advise of the post above this one, and have the fluid changed out.

Andrew
Old 02-18-2003, 10:37 PM

I just bought a suncoast complete transmission and I have looked at ATS, DDT and the sun coast is the only way to go. I have an 01 auto just like yours and I have 42,000 miles on it and my truck did the same thing. Just installed tranny last friday and love it. The nice thing is I am done with it i don't have to worry about the clutes slipping or anything. It would suck if you just do the valvebody and TC and then 6 months later your ripping it back out cause the clutches cant hold the power you are putting to it. Do it right the first time and be done with it. I have a 3 year unlimited milage unlimited horse power warrenty. If it would happen to break they will next day air you a new one. None of the other companies offer that.
Old 02-18-2003, 11:12 PM
Banned

I haven't really heard anything about teh Suncoast TC's and all. Kind of curious about them. How much power are they rated at holding? I plan on running 12's or quicker and need a tranny that can hold that type of power reliably. How much did the whole tranny setup cost you if you don't mind me asking? The ATS setup that I was going with is expensive.
Old 02-19-2003, 12:12 AM

[quote author=BigBlue link=board=4;threadid=11106;start=0#106311 date=1045631531]
I haven't really heard anything about teh Suncoast TC's and all. Kind of curious about them. How much power are they rated at holding?
[/quote]

BB,
Suncoast makes some good stuff. Nowel(HVAC) has one and is putting about 700hp with NO DRUGS on it, and running 12.0's. Watch for him to be in the 11's without drugs.

They also make some darn near bullet proof stuff for the Fords. We have used them, and NEVER had a problem. We have bent rods, and the tranny be fine.

They are another good choice also, although I think not as good as DTT(had to throw that in, this is a tranny thread right? ).

Andrew
Old 02-19-2003, 01:10 AM

[quote author=TxDieselKid link=board=4;threadid=11106;start=0#106324 date=1045635161]<br>this is a tranny thread right? ).<br>[/quote]<br><br>Not that kind of tranny thread.
Old 02-19-2003, 02:11 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

xj2extreme: One thing to be considered. If you just buy a TC and VB you can not be shure whether you replaced the culprit or not. And if your tranny is happily grinding away friction materials.... you are gonna :'(<br><br>Personally I'd buy a service manual for the truck and remove and analyse the tranny before any bombing. If the tranny is on the bench some friction disks or some seals or o-rings don't cost a fortune. <br><br>I must second the notion of servicing the tranny before making any assumptions about what is wrong. Have a good look at the old fluid and whether there are contaminants. <br>Personally I am really happy with myDTT tranny, and with the sound advice I got from Bill K. <br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 02-19-2003, 08:36 AM

OK Well I am going to schedual a servicing of the tranny, and go from there.. But I know that I will end up having to do something with it being I just cant leave the truck stock.... <br><br>So who out there has pulled the Auto tranny themselves.. How hard is it in the Dodge.. How long did it take you? Just wondering if it is a huge pain I may take it to my tranny guy and just let him do it.. but If I could pull it out in a day I will just do it myself.. Thoughts?<br><br>OH and by the way it seems to be getting worse every day.. and it is vibbing at 55 MPH now.. On the way to work with cruise on OK'ish but say you get in it alittle to pass a car... vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvviiiiiiiiiiib.... Kinda sucks just bought the truck like a month ago.. <br><br>Great info guys, and gals if there are any..
Old 02-19-2003, 09:28 AM

Did you check the U-joints?<br>What about the carrier?
Old 02-19-2003, 09:53 AM

XJ2 My friend and I pulled mine friday and installed the new one in 5 1/2 hours. It is not that hard, just time consuming. I would recomend a tranny jack, and a lift if you can use one. My old tranny did the exact same thing. I had it serviced and it was fine for about a month then it started shuddering agian. If your tanny is shuddering without any performance parts I bet your clutches are wearing all the friction material off already and when you add the aftermarket stuff your going to toast it. If you're going to keep the truck for a long time do the whole new tranny. The suncoast was about $3500. It came with custome valve body, billit tc with drain plug, extra clutches, and a mag double deep pan.

Quick Reply: Long.. Auto Trannys; Problems and Upgrades