24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Locker for front ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locker for front ?

I want to put a locker in the front of my 02 2500 dana 60. Does anyone know what spline axles are in it, and what is the best locker for it? A air locker? Regular detroit style locker? I was hearing different stories about some styles not beeing freindly with the front setup. The rear is a dana 80 with 4.10 gears in, i would think the front has the same gears, not? Any help would be great.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
An ARB or some kind of selectible locker would be the only way to go. If you have ever tried to steer anything on pavement when all 4 wheels are locked you wont want to do it again.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:11 AM

What he said - and ARB or OX locker is the only way to go here.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Im not sure on the spline count but yes if the rfear is 4.10 than your front will be also. If not your gonna have some trouble with pushing the front end or dragging the rear.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:24 AM

I beleive their 35 spline, any selectable locker, OX, ARB, ELECTRAC. Checkout some of the offroad sites, they were having really good luck with the Electrac. But the ARB gives you air. Something to think about.
Frank
Old 01-31-2009, 02:06 PM

The stock Dodge 02 2500 front Dana 60 axles are 30 spline. I converted my 2002 truck over to locking hubs and a floating axle style front hub and spindle from Dynatrac. My truck was one of the late 2002's without the inner axle disconnect. While I was in there I upgraded the inner axles to the larger 35 spline axles and installed a 35 spline TruTrac limited slip differential. I have a tight PowrLoc in the rear and with the TruTrac in the front, I'm very happy with how it performs in snow and mud. If you're looking for a locker for the front I would agree that the ARB or Ox would be the way to go.
Regards, Mike.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:10 AM

Thanks, after reading more, i hear that a true locker is a no-no for the front. This whole push for lockers is because i got really stuck even though i had two wheels on dry gravel solid ground, but the front and rear left side was on solid ice. Needlees to say, the left tires would just spin away, and the right side would just sit there on good ground not doing anything. I still have to read more, but i get that i can stack more clutches in my rear carrier to "tighten" it up? Or is that an aftermarket carrier that does that. I also load the truck up to the max with firewood and other heavy stuff and do some pulling (ocasionally). What is the best setup for the rear as well? Thanks again for the help. MVIERA, how do i know what my front axle configuration is without tearing it open? I would like to do this with parts ready to go, it is my daily driver, so a weekend up on stands is about all i got to do it in.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:54 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by 02ctd4now
Thanks, after reading more, i hear that a true locker is a no-no for the front. This whole push for lockers is because i got really stuck even though i had two wheels on dry gravel solid ground, but the front and rear left side was on solid ice. Needlees to say, the left tires would just spin away, and the right side would just sit there on good ground not doing anything. I still have to read more, but i get that i can stack more clutches in my rear carrier to "tighten" it up? Or is that an aftermarket carrier that does that. I also load the truck up to the max with firewood and other heavy stuff and do some pulling (ocasionally). What is the best setup for the rear as well? Thanks again for the help. MVIERA, how do i know what my front axle configuration is without tearing it open? I would like to do this with parts ready to go, it is my daily driver, so a weekend up on stands is about all i got to do it in.
you cannot add more clutches but you can stack them different to get more "grab". the factory stacks are not for very agressive traction.......... you would think the stack would be metal disc, clutch, metal disc, and so on but they are not in that order.... too many complaints about jerking around turns
Old 02-02-2009, 09:59 AM

You know if you get stuck like that again try riding the brake and pressing the gas. It'll help even out the torque load to the wheels and hopefully get the rear end gripping tighter.