24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Little freeze plug in the back of the head?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 01:53 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Little freeze plug in the back of the head?

Anyone ever replace the little freeze plug in the pack of the head? Have a buddy near Lafayette IN that had it rust out! Local shops are saying they'll have to pull the head to replace! - I'm calling foul! I can't fathom that it can't be done in the truck, but it's there, and I'm here! Anyone ever done it? Anyone have a pic of the back of the head so I can help "visualize" it? Thanks for any help!
Old 03-10-2008, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I swear I read about someone replacing it like a month ago on this forum.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:22 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Been searching for what seems like hours! At this point, I'm just hoping for someone with an old head, or has one off for a pic of the plug. I'm trying to figure out if it can be done while on the truck. My 3rd gen looks "do-able" from underneath, but a 2nd gen may be a little harder. I keep telling him to hold it closer to the phone........I can't really see it from here! LOL
Old 03-10-2008, 02:29 PM
Banned

block or head?

if its the block, find the freeze plug block off plate somewhere here. get one. use it to install the new plug. there are 3 threaded holes on the back of the block, use the bolts to walk the plate in, which installs the plug, with nothing being removed from the motor.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:33 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

His shop ( if you can really call it that!) is saying a small 3/8" size plug in the passenger side rear of the head. I can't really picture it. His shop called Scheids, and they said the head would have to come off, and now they think that is the "GOSPEL" ! I gotta believe it can be done! I'm just not there to do it for him! He's not so mechanically inclined, and I don't really have the time to dig into it for him - 65 miles from my shop/tools/beer/ well....you get the idea. He's so tight he can pinch the head off of a nickel, so you see where this is all going. I just can't justify $1000 head removal for a $1.50 plug!
Old 03-10-2008, 11:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hi
what about one of the rubber plugs with a nut you install and tighten ?

i have used them on cars in an emergency and they have held quite well ?

napa sells them app $5.00

or if you can tap the hole and install a pipe plug ?
Old 03-18-2008, 11:28 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Well.....I have to admit that I don't ever remember seeing a freeze plug this small! The owner looked everywhere for a rubber type to put in as a "temporoary fix", to no avail. I finally made time to go look at it and within 30 minutes had it in and running. All the guys that talked about pulling the head........phooey! I did dang near have to stand on my head and fart nickels to get to it, but once in position laying on top of the engine, head where the air intake box had been, buddy shining light on freeze plug from below ( my wide parts blocked the light from above ! LOL ) and a claw hammer ( dang carpenters anyhow!) beat that sucker right in using a 1/4 inch socket and extension for an install tool. IT CAN BE DONE! Just took a little ingenuity. Beat the heck out of a $1300 estimate from 2 local shops! I will say good luck if you ever have to put one in. Not fun......I'm off to take a hot shower! ( back is starting to cramp! )
Old 03-19-2008, 12:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.belzona.com/enc.aspx
Old 04-07-2008, 08:33 PM

thanks ill try to get my freez plug in this weekyou say it can be pushed in or do i try to pull the old one out????
Old 04-07-2008, 08:44 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

No! Don't push it in! Use a lag type bolt or something to screw into it and pull the old one out. It will only cause trouble if left in. It's not as hard as the two other shops tried to make it out to be.....
Old 04-07-2008, 09:04 PM

how did you get your plug out there is not a hole lot of room there THANKS
Old 04-07-2008, 09:08 PM

you know if your neer Milwaukee you could show me how its done and just think the beer is always cold here
Old 04-07-2008, 09:15 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Yeah.....ummm.......a bit of a road trip! about 200 miles give or take (one way! )
Old 04-07-2008, 09:16 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

As for getting the old plug out....there was a hole rusted in the old one so a lag bolt screwed right in......pulled on the lag bolt with some vise grips ( yanked left and right/ up and down ) and it came right out.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pic of little (3/8) freeze plug in back of head.

I know this is an old thread, but I am having the same problem now, and I would assume many more will shortly, as our decade old trucks just get lighter and lighter.....

Here is a pic or two of the plug..

Did you get the replacement plug from dealer?

Mine started with a small hole in the top part of the plug, I have temporarily fixed the leak with a screw, I will then use the screw to pull it out, once I get a new plug. If I can find one??

Thanks, Good luck..

Ok, the pics are all ready uploaded to another thread and it wont let me post them here as well, so here is a link to the other thread...

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=233337

Quick Reply: Little freeze plug in the back of the head?