24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Limited Slip Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Limited Slip Problem

UNBELIEVABLE!!! Last night, I'm on my way up to my buddy's cabin, and got stuck going up his driveway. Understand, however, that his driveway looks like it could be in a Jeep commercial - lockers recommended, body damage possible, etc...<br><br>I noticed after the second attempt that my left rear wheel never spun (of course it was the one with the traction!), and didn't the whole time. I got a good run at it and did eventually make it up, but not before having to hear it from 5 guys standing on the deck laughing hysterically. <br><br>Has anyone else experienced this problem? I asked the local service department if there was a breakaway torque spec for the Dana limited slip, and he couldn't help much there, so I'm not going to check it in the driveway, but this concerns me greatly.<br><br>HELP!
Old 04-15-2003, 04:28 PM
Banned

Re:Limited Slip Problem

Check the fluid in it. May be low. Also, you may need to add some friction modifier.
Old 04-15-2003, 04:39 PM

I should have added in my initial post that the truck just turned 20k this morning, and there aren't any leaks. I'll go check the level just to be sure, though.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:28 PM

That's the way they're supposed to work (ie: poorly). In 2wd in the winter I've had it spin one wheel countless times, stabbing the brakes helps some but not alot. I had a detroit locker in my last truck and when I bought this one I tried not to expect too much from the Trac-lok, but I must say it's next to useless. One TDR member re-stacked the clutch plates to get better transfer, I'm gonna try to dig up that thread.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:39 PM

This has some good info: Link
Old 04-16-2003, 12:08 AM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts

I have been driving with limited slip diff's for years in 4X4's and they need a certain level of attention to work. But they do work unless the clutches are worn out. The word &quot;limited slip&quot; is exactly that. They only limit the slipping, not eliminate it. The way they work is when you are driving along with out a lot of pressure on the rear end the clutches are under no load. Thats the reason you can turn with out tires chirping. You can check yours by jacking up the rear end so both tires are off the ground, starting the truck and putting it in gear (be careful!!!) The tires should turn the same way. An open diff will have the left going backwards and the right going forwards. If you cant tell try to stop one tire and you should get resistance on a limited slip. Some aftermarket units have a higher spring rate on the clutch pack and or more clutches so it will be tighter at a lower level of pressure on the diff. When you accelerate or load the diff the pressure is put on the clutches to bind causing the axles to turn at the same rate, provided there is enough pressure. When you are on a slippery surface there might not be enough pressure to bind the clutches so only the tire with out traction spins. To solve this, you can ride the E-brake or the regular brakes to cause the clutches to bind up and stop the spinning tire. Also, spinning one tire will fry the clutches in no time! So will running two different size tires at one time. I try to stay off the gas in a turn to stop clutch wear too. 10 or so years ago, I remember Chevy not offering the limited slip option with the duallies because they couldn't handle the added traction and would fail early. Its almost surprising that they put limited slip units in stock vehicles at all because it doesn't take much neglect to wear one out. These units are not popular with jeep guys for these reasons. They need the axles to stay locked for the extreme traction situations. I think the stock ones in these trucks must have to much additive so they act smoother because so many dont work well. You have other options like the Detriot Locker but they are not everyday driving friendly (dangerous in the front end) and spooles are illegal. They do make lighter duty lockers that go in your stock open diff's but you cant put them in a limited slip diff. You can get an ARB locker but they require the air pump. Some aftermarket limited slip units work very well. But the best traction aiding diff made was the Torsion differential which used worm gears instead of spider gears causing internal binding of the gears only giving the tire with traction power (very cool). Like the ones used in the Hummers. Not the H2's. Sorry, I guess I'm rambling.<br>