24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Lift pump suggestions for P-pump conversion...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift pump suggestions for P-pump conversion...

Hope this is in the right forum...wouldn't consider this 'high performance'...anyway...

I've had a few 12 valves in the past and have succesfully run WVO for a while. I got an '02 24valve/nv5600 with full intensions of converting it to P-Pump down the road so I could continue to run my WVO reliably but the VP44 decided that it'd rather not wait long enough for me to do it on my terms. So the VP44's dead and I need to fix the truck.

I'm pretty sold on the P-Pump conversion unless someone can offer up a suggestion for keeping a VP44 alive on WVO (I think that's impossible...??...and no i didn't run WVO on this dead VP44)...so...I was just trying to iron out a few details...

The P-pump won't be turned up at all if any...maybe a 10 plate and a 3gsk...that'd be it...help it out towing...I have other things to go fast in...I don't need my 8Klb truck to be another...this conversion is soley to run WVO reliably...

So...on to the question...sorry if it's been covered before buy my searches didn't turn up anything related...

I've been told that I need to run the lobed cam and the mechanical lift pump and i've been told that I could run an electric (FASS or the like) lift pump with the conversion...I'd just like to get some more opinions on the subject...

Mechanical or electric lift pump? If electric, the 12 valve model FASS pump I pressume would be the one I'd want...?
Old 04-16-2008, 10:50 PM

I have a 12 valve mechanical lift pump in mine, but have never run oil through it. Obviously a cam change is necessary, but you already know that.

I have guys buying the Raptor kits using veggie and the like and they seem to be very happy with that as well.

Dave
Old 04-17-2008, 08:31 AM

I guess I'm not too woried about either pump (mechanical or aftermarket electric) pusing the WVO...I just stated that as more of an explination as to why I'm making the Ppump swap so I didn't get 15 posts trying to convince me to keep my VP44...

But yeah, I'd rather not change the cam if I didn't have to...

These people using the Raptor as their only lift pump or is it just a secondary WVO only pusher?
Old 04-17-2008, 05:51 PM

I'd go with something from PureFlowTechnologies, whether it be the Airdog fuel system or the Raptor pumps. Their stuff is so much cheaper than FASS and no one has spoke bad about them yet. I havn't had any problems with my FASS yet, but the Airdog's were over $700 at the time I bought mine.