24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Lift pump "slang" term help

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok,further to this.I put the campaign pump in on the weekend and all is well,but......
When you guys put your pressure gauges in,do you put them at the schrader valve on the filter housing or on the injection pump ??

Thanks again,Ragg
Old 12-04-2006, 11:08 AM

Assuming your 2000 is the same as my '01, you want it on the injection pump (post filter) side. Tells you exactly what your VP is getting, and when it drops a few PSI it reminds you to change the filter as well. I have mine right at the VP44 (where the schraeder valve was prior to my Vulcan kit).
Old 12-04-2006, 11:21 AM

Thanks Sea,that's where my light is wired to.I changed the pump out on Sat and all was good 'til this morning,now the freakin' light is flickering again.I'm gonna change the fuel filter (again) and see if it's giving me the restriction.

Ragg
Old 01-15-2007, 10:25 PM

Well,I took the truck to the dealer for diagnosis.They told me I had a restriction between the lift pump and the tank.I dropped the tank and found both fuel lines,on the plastic part,were kinked.I replaced these with rubber lines and inspected all the rest of the system,tank,lines,etc.This was the only problem I found.I reinstalled the tank and the truck ran great that night.The next morning,all was good until I came to a stop after driving about 20 minutes.After stopping at an intersection,I proceeded across the road under "easy" throttle and the fricken light goes to flickering again.I got p/o'd and took it to the mechanics house for him to deal with.He's now telling me that it is possibly the injection pump as well as the computer, and possibly ??????? In other words,he's at a loss.I'm R-E-A-L-L-Y pi$$ed at the whole thing and it's gonna go.UNLESS,you guys have any other ideas ?
Lemme hear it or it'll be traded off on a GMC 1/2 ton I so mad.

Ragg
Old 01-15-2007, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by raggmann
Well,I took the truck to the dealer for diagnosis.They told me I had a restriction between the lift pump and the tank.I dropped the tank and found both fuel lines,on the plastic part,were kinked.I replaced these with rubber lines and inspected all the rest of the system,tank,lines,etc.This was the only problem I found.I reinstalled the tank and the truck ran great that night.The next morning,all was good until I came to a stop after driving about 20 minutes.After stopping at an intersection,I proceeded across the road under "easy" throttle and the fricken light goes to flickering again.I got p/o'd and took it to the mechanics house for him to deal with.He's now telling me that it is possibly the injection pump as well as the computer, and possibly ??????? In other words,he's at a loss.I'm R-E-A-L-L-Y pi$$ed at the whole thing and it's gonna go.UNLESS,you guys have any other ideas ?
Lemme hear it or it'll be traded off on a GMC 1/2 ton I so mad.

Ragg

Check your PM! get a FASS and stop messing around with that junk.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:22 AM

The real issue is fuel pressure. Without the gauge, you are at a loss. Genos' has a test one for $45 or so. You can get one installed for about $70.
Most problems on Gen 2 are solved witha Vulcan big line relo kit and the Cummins Camapign pumps. Keep your VP44 in fuel and you will be drivin & smilin.
You can find a VP on this site for about $1k, if needed. You can do the key trick with the ignition to check codes, which folks here will telll you what they mean(On-ff, on off, on). It is rough trying to work outside this time of year.
If you try to trade for a GMC, you could take a bath, especially if it is not running right.
Good luck!
Old 01-16-2007, 10:19 AM

Yeah,the key thing doesn't work on mine apparently.Supposedly it needs to be "plugged in".I've tried the key trick to get codes before and it only reads out the first part.When I pick the truck back up tonight (he's had it for a week already) I'll do it again and post what comes up.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:58 AM

I should also add this little subnote: the truck runs good,no dead peddle,lots of power,you can hear the turbo spool up real good,there's no hesitation when you get on it,nothin'.This is the 2nd low fuel pressure sending unit too,and it still shows as low pressure.
One problem the tech had was that he didn't plug it in,it was about -35c and he had to use ether to get it to fire.

Ragg
Old 01-16-2007, 11:35 AM

Guys as of latley, my Carter 4601HP does not make that loud WAHHHHHH when I turn the key to start up. It is audible but much quieter than normal. Fuel pressure is starting to go but still acceptible. Does this sound like the pump is going or could it be something else?
Old 01-16-2007, 11:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RickCJ
Check your PM! get a FASS and stop messing around with that junk.
That's what i done and problem solved.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:51 PM

In any case, I would have a spare handy. The Cummins campaign one is $65. Keep on under your seat for that special day!
Old 01-16-2007, 02:04 PM

Just got a call from the tech.Apparently,with the stock banjo bolts,I'm dropping 5psi from the lift pump outlet to the injection pump.Looks like I'll be changing over to the "full flow" JIC fittings.

Ragg
Old 02-25-2008, 10:23 AM
eot

Hey guys what is the easiest and cheapest route for a fuel guage where to puchase one and installation. Right now i cant afford the pillar mount for all the guages. But after replacing my last main pump I need to do something. Thanks
Old 02-25-2008, 11:08 AM

Smile

Try Genosgarage.com . I think I bought my DiProcol 0-30 psi for about $60.
You can use an oil gauge(diesel is oil) from JC withney or summit, for even less. The challenge is getting all the right fitttings. genos may be your best bet to get most of it. They are great for oil & fuel filter too. Put them your Favorites, you will be going back. They sell the Statophore filters, which Cummins recommends, uses, (makes?).
Good Luck!
Old 02-25-2008, 05:02 PM

People get a Fuel Pressure Gauge Mech!! It tells alot of whatis going on!