24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Lift pump "slang" term help

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift pump "slang" term help

Hi guys,
I'm new on here and if this forum is anything like the Jeep forums I belong to,there's a wealth of knowledge.
I'm in desperate need of some help.
I've got a 2000,3500,4x4,SLT,with an auto.I'm needing to replace my lift pump (again).Can someone shed some light on the "slang" terms you all are using with regards to the (common) lift pump issues ?? I realize there is a change-up kit available from Dodge that puts the pump in the tank,but,I don't want to go that route.I'd rather have an externally mounted pump close to the tank.I'm reading about "Vulcan" and a few others.I'm living in Canada and I've called around and no one really can give me a clear answer to my question.About the only pumps I can find local are the Holley Black & Blue,Carter "HP",Carter factory replacement and such.
Basically,what I want to know/do,is: remove the stock lift pump,remove the line from the stock pump to the fuel filter,cut the fuel line near the tank and slide it forward and join it to the fuel filter assy.Flare the steel line,put in an aftermarket pump,extend the wiring harness,and cure my low fuel pressure issues.
I have a low fuel pressure light that likes to flicker quite often and is now staying on so I need to do this soon,before it takes out my inj pump.
Without using the "slang" terms,can someone please advise as to which lift pump to purchase ??

Thanks in advance,Ragg
Old 11-29-2006, 10:02 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the site!
If you go to www.Vulcanperformance.com you will see the big line relocation kit. it is about 115.00 USD. This is what I have and it is a 1/2" line. it moves the stock lift pump back to just in front of the fuel tank. You can use the Holley pumps, but I like the OEM Carter pumps. They are cheaper, and are easy to replace if you need to.
The kit replaces all lines from the tank to the injection pump. You will have to change the fittings on the fuel filter canister.
Did that answer your questions?
I have a pic of the relocation in my gallery.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FYI...........
The oem pump is a carter 4601hp. It is made in national pipe thread (for multi applications) or in metric thread which is oem. I have eliminated the banjo bolts at the pump and used 3/8" npt 90 deg. nipples and use the npt threaded pump. I drilled larger holes in the banjo bolts at the filter. It has helped but is not the "best" but has worked for me. I monitor fp post filter so I know what the lp is getting and and watch pre filter fp with a temporary gauge that I hook up at least once a month. This way I can also tell when the filter is getting dirty. When I see a 2lb or more drop in fp I change the filter.

The fass system is popular and is installed on frame.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:42 AM

That's pretty much what I was looking for.
So what you are saying is basically,I can buy a new "stock" pump and just relocate it back to in front of the tank,correct ?? I need to do this on a budget of pocket lint.
Thanks for your time Marine,stay safe,keep your head down,and THANK YOU for keeping us all safe here in North America.

Ragg
Old 11-29-2006, 12:31 PM

Yes that is what he is saying. I just this with the Vulcan Big Line kit and a "campaign" pump (there is a recall on the carter pump for busses and ES vehicles from Cummins, and if you can find a cummins dealer and give them the part number you can get it for about $65.00 US). My total cost was around $200 US (a little less actually). My "stock" pump is now on the frame rail with 1/2" line all the way to the injection pump. If you don't know about the "campaign" pump (which I'm not even sure is availabe in the great north) just do a search on here and you'll find out all the info you need (which is just the Cummins part number).
Old 11-29-2006, 12:44 PM

I just talked to Cummins Alberta and they want to sell my a replacement that goes on the engine in the stock location.It IS a change up with a wiring harness adapter.They want $290.13(part # 3990082).I'm thinkin' I'm gonna go with a stock replacement from Napa at $194.87(part # e7153).A Holley Black is about $225 and I'd have to adapt it "inline".With the weather at -43c with the wind,the "easy route" seems the best right now.

Ragg
Old 11-29-2006, 12:52 PM

Try calling them back and ask for PN# 4090046 (campaign pump). Some will sell it, some will not (don't tell them it is going on a dodge). If they do, you just saved quite a few dollars. The NAPA replacement is the same pump (they are all made by Carter). So go the cheapest route. For ease of replacement and a better supply of fuel to the VP44, the Vulcan kit is the way to go in my opinion, but to each his own.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:16 PM

Thanks Sea,
The "local" boys WILL hook me up.Under $150.That'll leave me $40+ to buy the whiskey to put it in.I'll be sure to have one for you.

Thanks again for the feed back all.

Ragg
Old 11-29-2006, 02:20 PM
Banned

You might wanna hold off on drinking $40 worth of whiskey putting it in I know I wouldn't want to work on my truck AND drink two lieters of Jack.

But seriously good luck, and I hope you have a shop to work in up there. That could be a cold proposition.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:41 PM

I just replaced my lift pump along with injector pump and stepped the lift pump up to a FASS fuel pump. It installs right on the frame beside the fuel tank and has brackets that are welded to the frame. Should hold up to the rough roads in Canada since I have been on a few really rough ones- abandoned logging roads. This system cost me around $650 for all brackets, hoses, and filters plus it comes with a 4yr warrenty on light trucks. Hope the info helps.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:23 PM

The campaign pumps seem to work well, they are about $65 US. I am not sure if they are differrent, some say yes, They hook up to the Vulcan ket perfectly. Get 2 pumps, keep one as a spare, in case it fails on the road.
The next thing required is a fuel pressure gauge mounted beteween the Fuel Filter & the VP44/Injection pump. The fuel pressure absolutely needs to be monitored, otherwise, no LP, and soon, no VP44/IP. Very expensive.
You can get DiProcol gauge for about $50, mechanical. No isolater needed.
If you want , add the boost & Pyro on the 3 gauge Pillar column, very popular with most on this site .
Good Luck!
Old 11-30-2006, 04:44 PM

Thanks supr,I do have a "low fuel pressure light" that comes on when the lift pump pressure drops below 6psi.I ordered the "campain" pump yesterday and hopefully it shows up tomorrow.I DO want to do the gauges ,but,as I said earlier,my budget right now is basically a whole pile of pocket lint.I'm hopin' the g/f will get me the gauges for x-mas.

Ragg
Old 12-01-2006, 07:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is what I put on mine Sept.'04. Still has 15psi idle & 11psi WOT on 5X5
Pic in my gallery
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 12-01-2006, 08:36 PM

You may want to read this thread, complete with pics, I posted it here a while ago. Whatever you do, get rid of the banjo bolts!
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=101364
Old 12-02-2006, 07:57 PM

Geno's garage has a relocation kit for under $100. I bought one and really like it. A little patience and you can do yourself. Vulcan is good to. I bought extra fitting to get rid of all of the banjo bolts

http://www.genosgarage.com/

My campaign pump also crapped out and now using an Aeromotive AE11203. It idles at 16 psi, 12-14 at 65mph and never below 8 psi at WOT pulling 10K lbs. 35,000 miles and still going strong.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I use one on the veggie side as well. Really good pump for the money!
Q

Quick Reply: Lift pump "slang" term help