24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Lift pump retro/aftermarket question

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift pump retro/aftermarket question

99 CTD 2500 4x4, auto 150,000 mi.
I had lift pump retro installed a while ago & am interested in installing an aftermarket pump either in conjunction or in place of. My question is would I have to remove the in tank pump, or can I leave it & add another? Is there a simple bolt on pump that anyone could recommend? Thank you
P.S. Anyone know of a reputable Diesel Repair shop around Phoenix,AZ?
Old 02-07-2007, 08:54 PM

i just put on a aftermarket lift pump. I took my tank pump out because it looked like the new lift pump would have to work harder to get the fuel to pump through a pump that isnt working! make any sense? i still had my old cannister to put back in. It looked like it would be safer to eliminate the "in the tank" pump...
Old 02-07-2007, 09:00 PM

I just had a FASS HPFP installed on my truck and love it. I do not have the intank pump. I have read on this site that if you add a high volume pump and still use the intank pump that it (the original pump) may not be able to supply the new pump and will act as a restriction.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:00 PM

Last year after replacing both the injector and lift pumps I had a second lift pump installed in combination. I also installed a fuel pressure gauge. Nearly a year later and all is well. Fuel pressure is around 25 psi and even pulling 8,000 lbs up a long steep hill I can't drop the pressure below 22 psi.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:52 AM

i thought the 24v's didnt have an in tank pump, i thought they just have a wimpy lp on the left side of the block. i dont know thats why im asking.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:18 AM

When the lp on the block goes out, the dealer installs what they refer to as a retro pump in the tank. If I had known about this site before hand I wouldn't have let them do it. Not that I have had any problems with it but fuel pressures don't seem to be what they should be, in fact when I questioned the tech that installed it, he said the best he'd ever got out of them is 10-11 psi but that the info Dodge gave him was that it was enough.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:24 AM

I have to retro in tank pump and hate it. Like Jed said, if I would have known about this site I wouldnt let them put it in there. Now, I am going to take it out and put in a FASS system within the next 2 weeks, so Im pretty stoked about that. Ive heard that if you have the intank pump and try to put in another pump to help it out, that the lift pump wouldnt push out enough fuel for the second pump. So its pretty much useless. Do yourself a favor and get a FASS or walbro.