24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Lift Pump replacement . . . debate??

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift Pump replacement . . . debate??

Lift pump is dying and would like info about which replacement pump is the better choice and of course available. It seems there is much varied opinion and would like to sort thru my options. Need to purchase ASAP.

Thanks, and Rod, I would definitely appreciate your input too.

Jerry
Old 08-26-2003, 03:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re:Lift Pump replacement . . . debate??

My 98.5 has 94K on the original lift pump-should I be concerned?
Old 08-26-2003, 04:47 PM
Banned

You might want to check it. If it is below 8 psi at any time (mainly cruising and WOT), get it replaced.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:02 PM

Guess, since I have over 100,000 miles I'd better check mine out. I'll probably put a permanent gage on the dash.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:17 PM

Yeah, I guess I spoke too soon as well. Mine has 96k but ran consistent pressure @ about 8lbs (lowest) and 10lbs @ idle.

Now the pressure has consistently been tapering down below 8 lbs. during normal running and I guess the end is near.

Thankfully I discovered this board and had purchased a FP gauge to monitor it. Ignorance may be bliss, but getting let down some place due to LP failure would not be so blissful. Especially with my luck, I'd probably be somewhere in No Man's land with my baby in tow when it happened.

Any feedback on the Holley pumps?? I was reading about the Holley Black kit @ WildcatDiesel. Also have read about some problems with them. Any thoughts, suggestions or experiences would be appreciated.

Old 08-26-2003, 09:39 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

You can also lose your VP-44 injector pump if the lift pump fails...since the VP-44 is lubed by fuel and cooled by fuel and the supply would be drastically reduced when a pump is near or at failure...it can stress the VP-44 beyond tolerance and then you have two issues that leave you stuck. :'(
Rod will probably add to this...
I have been running a Holley Blue for over 50,000 miles now and this is with a high horsepower truck. I tried the Black but got two defective pumps, used the Blue as a band-aid til I got a better pump...LOL Then I tried the PE 4200 and it failed with less then 100 miles on it. Blue went back on and still running great. Having a massive pump with high pressures concerns me too. If you have a lot of pressure, this can exceed some internal tolerances in the VP-44...and not always immediately but over time.
Running two pumps inline I feel would be creating more potential for issues like not properly matched or different rates of pressure and/or volume, I have never quite figured out why this would be good especially if one pump fails and you do not have a way to by pass it. I know of one person on here that had his entire combination fail. I know some have by pass protection on their combo pumps. The next thing is to have the fuel system fuel lines as close to the same or identical inner diameter thru the entire system. Bottle necks and/or larger areas can cause back pressure and/or surges when using 1/2" line and bottle necking to banjo bolts or jumping up and down in sizes of fittings.

I learned all of this firsthand by testing several different systems and set ups. Its was a real pain to do and I found what works for me might not for others but the set up I have now really works great and I feel confident with it and the way it works. Its amazing how many factory lift pumps have not run within spec and how many VP-44's have failed and DC never traced it back to the weak lift pumps...til now perhaps.

[quote author=GMScott link=board=4;threadid=18867;start=0#msg177107 date=1061950667]
Yeah, I guess I spoke too soon as well. Mine has 96k but ran consistent pressure @ about 8lbs (lowest) and 10lbs @ idle.

Now the pressure has consistently been tapering down below 8 lbs. during normal running and I guess the end is near.

Thankfully I discovered this board and had purchased a FP gauge to monitor it. Ignorance may be bliss, but getting let down some place due to LP failure would not be so blissful. Especially with my luck, I'd probably be somewhere in No Man's land with my baby in tow when it happened.

Any feedback on the Holley pumps?? I was reading about the Holley Black kit @ WildcatDiesel. Also have read about some problems with them. Any thoughts, suggestions or experiences would be appreciated.

[/quote]
Old 08-26-2003, 09:46 PM

I just replaced mine with the latest and greatest from Cummins and it seems to be doing a lot better. Went from 10psi idle to 16psi and at WOT it won't drop below 10psi. I also dropped a set of drilled out banjos in as well.

The stock system is working fine for me and IMO the pushers and replacemnet pumps are just a bit over kill. The system Wildcat sells may be the way to go but I'll let somebody that has that chime in.

DB
Old 08-27-2003, 08:32 AM

Anyone have part numbers they'd like to share?
Old 08-27-2003, 09:20 AM

Here's a good part #.

There may be some newer ones yet, but I know that this is one of the "good" ones. 3945812
Chace
www.westtexasturbodiesel.com
Old 08-27-2003, 11:15 AM

A few questions from the "newbie" here:

1. WTTD - Is that part # 3945812 for the stock cummins pump? I called local dealer - $220.00 sheesh!! Guess I shouldn't complain as the stock pump lasted for 96k.

2. Scotty - Do you have a part # for the Holley Blue?? And is this a straight replacement for the pump or do I need anything else if I go with the Holley - connections, wiring harness etc. Not looking to get into a big modification project. Is the price comparable to the stock replacement pump?

Thanks for all your responses and help.

Jerry
Old 08-27-2003, 12:24 PM

GMScott,

You can now buy Holley products, including the Holley Blue and Black pumps, at any Advance Auto parts. They're also carried by all the big mail order auto suppliers like Summit, Jegs, etc for a little cheaper. I would run it off a relay, get some fittings to mate up to the stock line (the blue takes 3/8 NPT threads), and hook it up. The blue is actually about the same price as the stock life pump from Cummins... around $130.

John
Old 08-27-2003, 01:31 PM

I can send you a stock replacement with the above part # or a newer one for $150 + shipping. They are brand new but not from cummins . If you want the older part number lift pumps like most cummins suppliers sell I can ship you those (new) for $75 each (+ shipping cost). I tried the holley black, it lasted about 5-7 days. Sent it back and have been using stock pumps since.
www.westtexasturbodiesel.com
Old 08-27-2003, 02:28 PM
Banned

I had a Holley black. Worked fine for about 6 months. Then it started messing up (bypass plunger started started sticking closed and blowing pressures way out whack). I'm currently in the middle of putting a PE4200 pump on my truck but for some reason, the pump quit running. I connected the trigger wire directly to the battery and the pump kicks on. It's somthing with the wires that the trigger wire connects to. I dont' know.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:32 PM

Here's a link for new replacement stock lift/transfer pump.

TST's Lift Pump

DB
Old 08-28-2003, 12:11 AM

Re:Lift Pump replacement . . .

DarrellB - great link!! You da man!! I love $70.00 instant savings.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Lift Pump replacement . . . debate??