24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

lift pump pressures??

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 06:12 PM
bws

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lift pump pressures??

ok so i just had the dealer install a new lift pump and now i,m at 10 psi and it doesnt change much??could my new isspro gauge be wrong?i only drove it 5 miles does the pressure rise after driving it more??where could i go to get another gauge to just test it??i want to chip it and i dont want any fuel probs.i hooked the fuel line at the injection pump[where the little cap is]is this ok?help
Old 06-03-2004, 06:47 PM
Banned

10 psi sounds pretty low for a new pump. You hooked up the line at the right point. Does the pressure go up and down? It should vary a few PSI depending on throttle position. Anything below 8 psi is to low.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:45 PM
bws

4x4 shop says theres air in the lines??wonder if i should dissasemble the hose and squirt new antifreeze in there??the isspro gauge reads 2.5 psi even with the truck off??cant wait to get the fuel issue fixed so i can bomb.bws
Old 06-03-2004, 09:55 PM

Im not sure why people bother with the isolator - it does nothing but cause problems and measurement error.
Old 06-04-2004, 01:16 AM
Banned

I agree Doc. Mechanical is the only way to go. I've had mine in for about 2 months and I've had no problems with it leaking.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:58 AM

So you basically saying that your running straight fuel line up to the gauge then?

Just wondering?
Old 06-04-2004, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Mopar1973man
So you basically saying that your running straight fuel line up to the gauge then?

Just wondering?
Yup.

Needle valve to soften the pulses, and cut off fuel if something should spring a leak.

I believe some guages aren't compatible with Diesel fuel, so make sure the guage can handle it.

My Isspro supposedly can.

phox
Old 06-04-2004, 12:34 PM
Banned

As far as I know, ISSPRO is the only gauge designed to have diesel fuel ran straight to it. Like Phox said, put a needle valve in so it doesn't rattle and so you can isolate the gauge in case it starts leaking.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:55 PM
bws

whats a needle valve and where do you get one??my isspro consists of a rubber hose 2' up to the isolator then small plastic hose to gauge,you guys say drop the issolator??still getting 9-11 psi with new dealer pump installed yesterday.will a direct line maybee change the reading??
Old 06-04-2004, 04:19 PM

Connect the needle valve or shutoff to the same hose that you have connected to the isolator. From there connect a hose thru the firewall right to the back of the gauge. When I have done the A-pillar gauge I use a steel braid line but if I mount the gauge under the dash I use a Aeroquip line that can handle the diesel. But I also put some hose wrap around it to make sure it does not rub. The hose is rated at 250 psi and the wrap is made from car tire material.
This has been in my wifes truck for 6 months and not a drop of fuel inside the truck..
The needle valve is just a small shutoff valve that you can get at most auto parts stores. I have seen some of them at hardware stores in the swamp cooler isle...

Rick
Old 06-04-2004, 04:25 PM

I also have a brand new lift pump, less than 1,000 miles on it, and it reads 12 at idle and 10 while driving. On a 98 24valve with Edge EZ. Is that lower than it should be?
Old 06-04-2004, 04:43 PM

The pressure of the lp was 15 at idle and at 75 mph it would be about 12 before I disconnected it to run the FASS system
What does it do when you stand on it?????

Rick
Old 06-04-2004, 10:58 PM

the dealer is really giving the bone to every one of us now on the lift pump issue,they are now saying they are not worried about the preasure anymore,they used to replace them under 10psi, but now they put the hose in a bucket and check volume for a minute and if it pumps enough its good,just another way of dodge getting cheaper
Old 06-04-2004, 11:43 PM

Actually that is not a Dodge thing about the fuel measurement , Cummins changed all of our troubleshooint steps for fault 368 which is the same as you get in the dodge for pump timing faults , but there is still a min. pump press. we have , mostly the pump has to be checked for filter drop press. , liftpump inlet restriction , air in in the fuel line. and it must pump 44 oz. fuel into a bucket with one cycle of the lift pump , and you do that by bumping the starter once for a 25 second cycle of the lift pump
Old 06-05-2004, 12:23 AM

My bad , Cummins just came out with a revision for lift pumps 3 days ago , here is the new specs , no air of course , no more than 6 in. of restrictions , now the fuel flow has changed to one cycle must deliver 1.4 quarts min. one cycle equals a bump of the starter and will give you apprx. 25 seconds of liftpump operation. do not turn key off till lift pump stops . and here the big one , under load , lift pump press. mins. is now 2 p.s.i.

Quick Reply: lift pump pressures??