24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

lift pump going out?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004 | 04:50 PM

lift pump going out?

Ive noticed every once in a while when i jump on the accelerator the thing cuts out for a split second like its shutting down. I was wondering if it might be my lift pump goin?
Old 09-09-2004 | 04:53 PM

What does your fuel pressure gauge read when this happens????

Rick
Old 09-09-2004 | 07:34 PM

All I can say is that is one of the things mine was doing when the LP was bad, the other thing I noticed was at high RPMs my truck was surging. Put a fuel pressure gauge on the truck and it read zero.
Old 09-10-2004 | 05:35 PM

I dont have a fuel pressure gauge right now but 44-40, im not really having any surging at high rpms
Old 09-10-2004 | 08:45 PM

These trucks will run with a dead LP. Iwould suggest getting a fuel gauge and checking your fuel pressure!
Old 09-10-2004 | 10:08 PM

I know that when my lift pump died, the truck drove like it always did except something was a little different. Hard to explain but I'm sure you know what I mean.

Was cruising at about 65 on a straight and level highway. Fuel pressure was about 10 psi one minute and nothing the next. If I didn't have a fuel pressure guage at the time, I would almost say that I wouldn't have known the lift pump died. Even though I did drive the truck for about a mile and a half with a dead lift pump, for the most part it drove like it always did. I replaced the lift pump the next day.

Replaced the injection pump a few months later.
Old 09-11-2004 | 10:53 AM

My truck drove so good I probably went a month with a dead LP. A salesman told me I probably didnt hurt my inj pump because I wasnt pulling any loads (someone will surely have an opinion about that). I'm still running fine a couple months later and not recieving any codes.
Old 09-11-2004 | 08:08 PM

I am having a similar problem with my 99. Dealer says lift pump checks fine, but I think he just plugged in to check my codes. I lose power after running for a couple of hours (engine temp below 190) on the interstate. WOT nothing, let off, wait 5 seconds - then I have a full power burst for 1 minute.

Where can I get a fuel pump gage and how do I check it?

I also noticed that the rubber elbow on the passenger side of the intercooler seems to have a blow out. Threads are sticking out on the pressure side of the hose clamp. I was thinking this probably is causing the loud sound like a kazoo coming from my turbo during WOT from a dead stop.
Old 09-13-2004 | 10:24 PM

horsappl - If you have a boost leak, you are definately losing power. Get the boost leak fixed, and get a fuel pressure gauge asap. Also fill in your sig(user cp) button at top of page.

My LP was tired when I bought my truck w/83k on it, but did not know till I installed my gauges at 88k, replaced it w/Holley Black, and installed Max Flow System. At 109k, the Holley started failing intermittenly. Replaced it w/Holley Blue. My truck will not run w/out LP(I think because of the Max Flow Kit)
Old 09-23-2004 | 01:05 AM

Thanks gamiller31!
Cummins dealer replacec LP. Pressure gage is on order.

Still lose power intermittently between 50-55 mph. How long can I drive this truck until I know I need to replace the injector pump? I don't want to end up along the highway.
Old 09-23-2004 | 01:21 AM

My truck did the same thing. I thought the fuel filter need changing so I change it out truck would not start. Replaced lift pump with a FASS every thing work good for a couple of weeks and it started the same thing again. Took the truck to dealer and injection pump was bad. Replaced injection pump and everything is OK. FASS works great installed guage putting out 15 PSI.
Old 09-25-2004 | 04:09 PM

whats the best way to go on a press.gauge with hoses ect.
Old 09-27-2004 | 10:52 AM

Maybe I should rephrase last thread.I don't care about anything fancy just a good gage and pluming.I can make a gauge mount.I cant seem to find any sources.Thanks
Old 09-28-2004 | 12:18 AM

I purchased a mechanical guage and an isolator and mounted the guage in the cubby hole in the dash. The isolator I mounted next to the fuse box on the fender. I put an in line T to the isolator and it works good. The only problem I had was fitting leaking but I rechecked them and they are OK. It cost around $100 I do not remember the type of guage. I found them on the internet.
Old 09-28-2004 | 08:07 PM

I checked around quite a bit, this is the best deal I found.

http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/gauges

Isolator for fuel pressure gauge $71.35. Fuel gauge and isolator tube kit with fittings, Banjo bolt and seals $21.35.

I plan to mount mine by the gas pedal.

Quick Reply: lift pump going out?