24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

lift pump design

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 07:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
lift pump design

I just posted this as a response to something else, and decided it should be a question.<br><br>Since so many of the lift pumps on the 24V diesels have gone bad, do they replace the pump with a new &quot;bad&quot; pump of the same design, and hope it gets you past the warranty period,??? OR have they redisigned a new pump so they could save themselves and the rest of us a lot of grief????????<br>I'm having a new one installed tomorrow and am not sure whether I'm getting a better design?? or the same thing that will go bad again????
Old 05-14-2003, 08:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:lift pump design

its the same nothing been changed
Old 05-14-2003, 09:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

They did update the design a while back, but it's still junk. You'll know if they put the new design on there if you see a new pigtail going between the pump and the truck's wiring harness. <br><br>I think the only thing they changed in the design is the plug on the pump. :<br><br>Some people have had 5 pumps put on their trucks in 100k. Worst I ever heard of was 3 in the first 20K. <br><br>Chris
Old 05-14-2003, 11:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had my first one replaced at 83K. And it wasn't totally dead yet, just on its last legs. Not too bad. Though, I have did have my injection pump replaced at around 20K or so....
Old 05-15-2003, 01:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Gee,<br>I feel all warm and fuzzy inside now I know I'm getting a pump exactly as good (or crappy) as my original one.<br>Isn't there an aftermarket one out there??or something???<br><br>Hell, in 1980, I put an electric fuel pump (cost $30.00) on my 360 gasser and it's STILL running fine. Somthing sounds fishy about this.
Old 05-15-2003, 03:18 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

The Carter lifts on these trucks are getting a bad rap. The pump itself is a pretty good little pump, its the rest of the fuel system that its attached to that is junk.<br><br>Open up the lines from the lift to VP44 run. Ignore the lines coming from the tank. Use high flow banjos (300 HP and down), or -8 lines (300HP - 375) and your lift pump longevity will go up 3 or 4 times what it is right now. Once you get past the 375 marker, then look at the previously mentioned PE4200 pumps. Great pumps, although a little spendy.<br><br>Rod
Old 05-15-2003, 04:26 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts

The Carter lifts on these trucks are getting a bad rap. The pump itself is a pretty good little pump, its the rest of the fuel system that its attached to that is junk.
<br><br><br>I wonder how long it is going to take everyong to get off the ban wagon to realize this. I have never heard of any pump going bad like these do. Put any pump in a bad situation and you will got a short life.

Trending Topics

Old 05-18-2003, 09:17 PM

May want to consider moving it closer to the tank. I think I read somewhere that Carter specs it to be no more than 3 feet from the source and also lower, so the siphon theroy can come into play and it will then be an actual transfer pump and not a suction/lift pump. I know of some that have done this and have had no further LP problems.
Old 05-20-2003, 11:24 AM

I'm on my third pump at 10K. First one went at 8k second one 2k later. Hope the third times the charm!<br><br>Bocifus
Old 05-21-2003, 03:47 PM

The pump has been upgraded/modified around 7-8 times since it was introduced in 1998. Never let your tank get under 1/2 full (this will help) also having a regular cab helps since the pump is then working within its design limits.
Old 05-25-2003, 10:54 PM

They say education is expensive and it is. I have spent a good bit of money learning about the Dodge diesel fuel systems the hard way. I started off with adding a pusher pump behind my lift pump. I found it produced 24 psi and would create a no start condition and set a fault code. Some people say 24 psi wont hurt the VP44, but the auto industry does not spend money to create a system that will monitor and test for fuel pressure conditions that will do no harm. I removed that system and put a Carter 4601HP pump (rated at 100 GPH and pulls 4.5 amps) on the frame just in front of the fuel tank. This pump has the exact same specks as the factory pump at 85.00 a copy. (nice savings) I removed the factory pump, factory fuel lines on the engine and got rid of all the banjo bolts. I found that the factory fuel line system on the 2001 actually reduces the inside fuel line diameter to 1/8 on the banjo fittings between the factory pump and the fuel filter. This amount of restriction is in my opinion is too restrictive no banjo bolt in the world will fix that. I replaced the factory lines with 3/8 inside diameter line with push lock fittings and made some custom fittings that would go from –6 (which is 3/8 inside diameter) to the 12mmX1.5. This makes the fuel system the same diameter all the way, no restrictions due to inside line diameter restrictions or banjo bolts. I hope this will add life to the transfer/lift pump time will tell.

Edward
Old 05-28-2003, 07:50 PM

I found that the factory fuel line system on the 2001 actually reduces the inside fuel line diameter to 1/8 on the banjo fittings between the factory pump and the fuel filter. This amount of restriction is in my opinion is too restrictive no banjo bolt in the world will fix that.
<br>WOW! Edward, I think you are the only guy besides me (and Rod) that has figured that one out, too. 1/8!!! CRAZY IT WORKS AT ALL!!! I tried to leave the banjos in place after not being able to find the correct size fitting to replace the metric banjo bolt thread but then I couldnt find a 3/8 size banjo head so, making a long story short, I went to the Cummins store and found a Cummins core block that had 5/16 banjo fuel lines. The same size as filter to VP line. I changed the LP to filter lines to 5/16, that way the are the same size after the LP. Couldnt go 3/8 like I wanted but I think the 1/16 lose isnt going to give me any trouble. My pressure is great and when I decide to go bigger power then I will try again for the 3/8 and get aero lines. I too am hoping the increase in fuel line diameter will result in long LP life.
Old 05-28-2003, 11:56 PM

Think you can find -6 AN to 12mm X 1.5 adapters at Summitracing.com. Think they are made by aeroquip
Old 05-29-2003, 09:58 AM

Think you can find -6 AN to 12mm X 1.5 adapters at Summitracing.com. Think they are made by aeroquip
<br><br>Thanks for the info. I also think Rod at Wildcat has them, too.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:29 PM

Edward I did all what you did the first time my L.P. went out at 1,200 miles and put on the dual carter replacement pumps (P4600HP 7 psi, P4601HP 15 psi) with 3/8 SS lines from the tank to the VP-44. I also saw that very small 1/8&quot; hole in the line comming off the filter to the VP-44. I also run dual fuel pressure gages. But this didn’t stop the lift pump going out, again. I got 11 months on the first set of carters before they went south. I am now at 45,000 miles and have eight months on this set. By the way when the lift pump does go, it could starve the VP-44 of its lubricity hence the need for a VP-44. I have always used a conditioner from day one. From the last report I just read 24 pages on this forum of the importance of lubricity it is a good thing, I will continue to use it.

P.S. Forget the High Flow Banjo Bolts there is still too many restrictions with the rest of the system. OverFueled