24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Lift Pump-Campaign, NAPA, AIRTEX/Vulcan

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift Pump-Campaign, NAPA, AIRTEX/Vulcan

I have to buy a spare lift pump.
Option 1- Does anyone know any Cummins locations that have the $65 Camapign pumps? This would seem to be one low cost option, if avaialbe.
Option 2- Napa OEM Carter pump.-I had heard on previous threads that NAPA was selling this pump for $125, or so, witha lifetime gurantee, if you got some pre-filter. Anyone know if this deal is still valid?
Option 3- Airtex with original Vulcan setup. Eric is making some fittings that will adpat the Vulcan Big Line for the new AirTex. There will be an updates version with Barbs from Value Diesel(in the near future), whih will specialize in this new product.
The Airtex on paper sounds good, an impoved design over Carter.
Option 4- Holley Blue- Many fans of this pump, but also it has had probelems, as seen in a few threads. It will also take some mods, I think, to replace the Carter and reliability is still qustionable.
Otion 5- Fass- get your check book, and bad service may come at no extra cost. Less chance chance of failure(perceived), seems to have lots of threads with other issues.
Option 6-Others- somewhere between Holley Blue & Fass.
Perhaps Fuel injected cars are not as challenging, but I have never had a fuel pump issues on anything except a P30 Chevy chassis, 454. Not since my first 59 VW.
So, please weigh in on any option.
State of LP's, 12/07.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:30 AM

The new Raptor from Fuel Preporator the maker of the Airdog sounds like a nice piece with a 6 year warranty and a 16000 hour or around 800,000 mile lifespan on the motor. And they are selling for 369.00 I think in the banner ad at the top of the page. I have the Airdog and they are also on sale right now. It's been trouble free for the 100,000 miles that I have ran it.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:36 AM

Subscribed. I am in the same boat.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
NAPA Carter LP $150. Now on the second one this year. Replacement was not a problem when showing an original receipt but that's within the one-year period. Not sure how things will go when I return after the one-year period asking for another one. Seems Carter should fess up and make a quality pump to replace the past junk....and possibly gain some credit in the pump market. Just my $.02.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stay away from the campaign pumps and OEM replacements. I have put on 5 in the past 50K and am getting tired of it. Sometimes you get a good one but most of the time they don't make it past the warranty. I took my last OEM Carter back to Orielly's and they replaced it with the Airtex but it's no good to me until Eric gets those fittings made. I wound up getting a campaign pump to get me by and it's only been 3 weeks and the pressure has gone from 14 @ idle down to 13 and now I can pull it below 10 at WOT when new I couldn't get it below 12. They are junk.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:43 AM

Where did you get your Campaign pump? Was it inexpensive? I just talked to NAPA, $200+ for a POS Carter.They use to have lifetime warranty, but that is gone.
I have a $175 Carter spare from Autozone, insurance. It is a "Master" brand,
Part # E7153(Old airtex carter). The box shows an Airtex, but it is a Carter. Perhaps I can return it as wrong product in the box. I had hoped to return it and get the AirTex or Holley set-up, but I am planning a trip at Christmas and those options may be too time consuming to get in time.
I guess most people view the Holley as only somewhat better than the Carter?
It seems reasonable cost options for this problem are very limited.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:10 AM

I took the original one apart and the vanes were grooved, this to me looks like a lubrication problem. I installed a campaign pump and add 2 stroke oil to the fuel tank to lubricate pumps. Have had it on for 20000 kms and still reads the same on gauge. I was thinking of hooking up a wire direct to the battery with a toggle switch to the lift pump, to stop a would be thief. My question is would it hurt if pump is running all the time while starting and driving truck?

Trending Topics

Old 12-05-2007, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by supr
Where did you get your Campaign pump? Was it inexpensive? I just talked to NAPA, $200+ for a POS Carter.They use to have lifetime warranty, but that is gone.
I have a $175 Carter spare from Autozone, insurance. It is a "Master" brand,
Part # E7153(Old airtex carter). The box shows an Airtex, but it is a Carter. Perhaps I can return it as wrong product in the box. I had hoped to return it and get the AirTex or Holley set-up, but I am planning a trip at Christmas and those options may be too time consuming to get in time.
I guess most people view the Holley as only somewhat better than the Carter?
It seems reasonable cost options for this problem are very limited.
You can get them from a cummins dealer for @ $70. I got mine from a shop in Texarkana so you'll just need to do some calling. Part #4090046. Cummins has a website that you can look up authorized repair facilities in your area and just go from there.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:45 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
i'm happy with 13 at idle with the campaign pump
Old 12-05-2007, 05:20 PM

I'm on my second Carter LP from NAPA. The first one cost $215.00 but came with a one year warranty. The pump lasted 10 months so I showed my receipt and got a new one. The previous LP's were from Cummins Southern Plaines ( Fort Worth) and cost me about $170.00 each. Problem was they only had a 6 month warranty. All three of the pumps crashed between 7 and 10 months. I tried to buy a campaign pump from them last year but they wouldn't sell it to me even though I knew the parts guy real well. Apparently it depends on which Cummins store that you deal with as to whether or not they will sell a campaign pump to an individual no questions asked.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:49 PM

Are any of you guys having issues with the stock-style LPs when relocated back near the tank?

Also, can anyone point to a dealer or Cummins dealer that is still, today, selling the Campaign pumps under $100. I just went through this and could not find any. I would definitely put a spare in the truck since it is so easy now that I have the Vulcan relocation kit on the frame rail.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:30 PM

I went through 5 stock style lift pumps. I have fixed the issue.

The AirDog has a 6 year warranty and is pretty quiet.

And they are priced better than the FASS right now.

Dave
Old 12-05-2007, 07:31 PM

Mine is has been mounted by the tank for almost 2 years now and they still don't last. The cummins dealer in Texarkana sold me mine with no questions asked. Their name used to be Barloworld but changed names and now I think it's Texarkana truck center.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:33 PM

zachv: Are any of you guys having issues with the stock-style LPs when relocated back near the tank?

Also, can anyone point to a dealer or Cummins dealer that is still, today, selling the Campaign pumps under $100. I just went through this and could not find any. I would definitely put a spare in the truck since it is so easy now that I have the Vulcan relocation kit on the frame rail.

My truck is on it's third LP since I moved it to the frame rail 20 months and 25k miles ago.

I can't point to a Cummins dealer regarding the campaign pumps for less than $100. Do a search and you might find something.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:52 AM

That is disheartening. I had a LP go while still in warranty and it lasted on the engine for 75K miles so I had hopes that one would last longer on the frame. Oh well, I guess a FASS will find it's way under the tree for Christmas.

Quick Reply: Lift Pump-Campaign, NAPA, AIRTEX/Vulcan