24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Leaky transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaky transfer case

Well, got everything repaired from last weeks little drive shaft incident Thread Here.
Now I have a leaking t-case. Doesn't leak when sitting still, only leaks after vehicle has been driven. Appears to be coming out around some of the upper bolts. Tightened them to no avail. Taking it to shop on Monday.
Also, while underneath inspecting the repaired exhaust pipe today, I noticed some leakage around slip yoke seal

Currently diagnosing it from the comfort of my desk chair while sipping' Gentleman Jack. Probably not gonna get much done today
~Rob
Old 08-22-2009, 11:50 PM

I had similar situation and paid 340 for front, middle and rear to be resealed. All 3 started leaking again within days. The shop redid the entire thing again and within days the rear seal once again started leaking. They redid it again and again it leaked within days. The other 2 seals are just fine. Seems the yoke is crapola. I had similar thing happen on my ford. Always the slip yoke. I am now going to do a Slip Yoke Eliminator for 365 so it doesnt happen again. You may want to consider that yourself since they are going to drop it anyway.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:20 AM

Thanks for the heads up mitm. Saw those slip yoke eliminators the other day while browsing the web. Gonna take it to the shop that fixed my drive shaft and have them diagnose. If they can get the eliminator kit shipped to them pretty quick, I might go with that.

~Rob
Old 08-23-2009, 10:51 AM

Heres a thread about them, might want to check it out to save search time.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...oke+eliminator
Old 08-23-2009, 10:17 PM

Sometimes there is a seal inside yoke to seal shaft to yoke. Can mess with your mind on leak source.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:15 PM

I thought I was the only one with this problem. Replaced seal twice now and still makes a mess underneath the bed. If I were to purchase the SYE kit is that all I would have to get or are there modifications I would have to make to the drivshaft or u-joints etc.?