24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Leaky Pinion Seal...

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaky Pinion Seal...

Guys,<br><br>Anyone changed their own pinion seal on the rear end and where did you get it from? I'd prefer not to have to deal with the ******* on this one. <br><br>Pulling the trailer this weekend I noticed a oily spatter on the front of it and I look underneeth the trcuk and the rear end is wet from the yoke back, I knew it leaked a little but its never been this bad before, maybe the load of the trailer plus the EZ did it??? I dunno.. <br><br>Any ideas on this, I have to pull the trailer to Abilene again the day after Christmas and would like to get it fixed before then.<br><br>TIA,<br>
Old 12-23-2002, 12:49 PM

Re:Leaky Pinion Seal...

Before you remove the yoke, check for looseness at the pinion bearing to ensure that a loose pinion bearing was not the cause of the seal failure. Usually, loose or damaged bearings would make a lot of noise, and possibly driveline vibration. If you have not experienced either of those symptoms, and there is no sideplay or endplay in the pinion, you're probably OK. If you've ever scraped your diff in the dirt or sand, that'll make a seal fail, too.<br><br>Can't help you on the part number, but I would think a good auto parts store, i.e. Napa, would have it listed by application.<br><br>Hope this helps.<br><br>Regards,
Old 12-23-2002, 05:35 PM

Re:Leaky Pinion Seal...

Don't know the part # but the part is $32. I had my dealer do the fix on my 99 total bill including the part was a little over $66. I'm pretty sure that the Dana axles in our trucks use crush barings so you want to be pretty careful tightening up the yoke nut after your done.<br><br>Good Luck<br><br>DB