24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Leaking oil but can't find from where.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaking oil but can't find from where.

I have the puke tank replaced with hose to the track bar but every time I park I get a small puddle of oil. It can't be that much because I never loose enough between oil changes to have to add any but it's wreaking havoc on my driveway. There is oil all over everything up under the front end. Any common problem areas out there? Thanks!
Old 06-07-2009, 09:23 PM

I have a 2000 and did the same thing with the hose instead of the puke tank.
I too have the same problem with oil all over everything.......
Old 06-07-2009, 09:29 PM

did you recently do the switch over from the bottle to the hose?

If so it's probably just the blow by. Mine has done it since i boutght the truck so i never worried about it much. (due to the fact that i have worked around big rigs and have seen it and figured that it was normal)
Old 06-07-2009, 09:35 PM

I did the hose relocation about a year ago, just can't figure out why there is oil in places not really that near where the hose exits.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:47 PM

Forgot to mention, would it have anything to do with parking on an incline? My driveway is pretty steep and I park nose down.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:02 AM

from what i have read parking on an incline does have someting to do with it. I'm sure if you do a search on it you will find a lot of reading on it.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two questions. What kind of hose did you use? And is there a low spot in the hose, meaning is there a spot that is lower than the end of the hose?
Old 06-20-2009, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by 1882
There is oil all over everything up under the front end. Any common problem areas out there? Thanks!
OK, one more question. Have you looked at the vacuum pump to power steering pump adapter from underneath the truck?
Old 06-20-2009, 04:31 PM

Did you remove the factory lift pump when you did your FASS? Did you also remove the bracket or leave the bracket there?
Old 06-20-2009, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by fschiola
OK, one more question. Have you looked at the vacuum pump to power steering pump adapter from underneath the truck?
I also recommend doing this, I also thought it was my puke bottle, re did the hose and got rid of it, and the diff was still always oily. If you get under and look up at the spot where PS pump and VAC pump meet there will likely be a drop hanging there.

It is a common seal to wear out, leading to the "always oily front axle." The fix for that is very cheap, just a seal kit, but it's kind of a PITA to do or you pay a lot for labor.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:53 AM

Mine leaks from the rivets that hold the engine info plate on the timming cover.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:27 AM

Chances are your vacuum pump is now leaking. I ran into the same thing. Moved and cleaned the puke bottle, still oil leaks, then replaced the seal on the vacuum pump. Genos has a good kit with dvd, seals and drivers. Little more money, but I like the info the kit provides...

http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo....OULD_VPRK_9602
Old 02-06-2010, 04:53 PM
CCB

I too moved the bottle and replaced the seal on the vacuum pump, both of which helped but after pressure washing everything and watching closely I found that it was leaking around the oil pan seal. Turns out most of the bolts had loosened up... Cheap, easy fix = tighten bolts...
Old 02-06-2010, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by CCB
I too moved the bottle and replaced the seal on the vacuum pump, both of which helped but after pressure washing everything and watching closely I found that it was leaking around the oil pan seal. Turns out most of the bolts had loosened up... Cheap, easy fix = tighten bolts...
DITTO these seemed to loosen over time what I did was clean area take bolts out one at a time put blue loctite on them and re torque think 15-17 lbs cant remember and that solved that issue. dont have any flat spots in you crank case breather extension hose I have mine ending along the inner frame rail by the T-case. if you do park in a incline this may slowly work small ammounts of oil through the line and then when enough gets built up it will burp and puke a blob on you. I have used a couple of old socks in the past just to absorb the oil but still alow it to breath. then I tried variouse 3" crankcase breather filters. dont think those were made for diesel oil. but in general mine ony once and awhile will show some drips. if your in a really cold climate have heard of peoples extension hose pending how low and long it is freezing up. I have never had that problem
Old 02-06-2010, 05:19 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Front crankshaft seal, power steering hoses, steering box, oil filter, trans cooler lines. Oil pan gastket and front timing cover, vac pump seal, almost forgot cam sensor housing bolts loosen up sometimes. Just a few places that could be leaking. Vac pump seal available for service read tsb

Quick Reply: Leaking oil but can't find from where.