24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Leak out of T-case

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 07:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leak out of T-case

Got under the truck today to do a little maintenance and noticed that my t-case is leaking where the driveshaft goes into it. It's not bad but it's been doing it long enough to coat my rear axle in fluid. So what's this gonna run me to fix and what do I need to get? Thanks folks.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like a seal that should cost less than 10 bucks, and a half hour to change, including removing the driveshaft.

Chris
Old 01-19-2006, 10:35 PM

Should just take a tail housing seal... not sure if you can get one from a parts store.. I think I ended up getting mine from a dealer.. but its been a few yrs ago.. Also check your U-Joints while your there... I'm ended up leaking at the end of the yoke.. there's a plug at the end of the yoke where the U-joint is.. it was leaking around the plug... I sealed it from the inside one time when the yoke was off...

Edit: if the seal is $10-20 its the wrong seal.. They'll try to sell you a seal for a 1/2toner.. the seal comes with the rubber cover.. I was think it was closer to $50... I went back for the right seal...
Old 01-19-2006, 10:57 PM
Banned

Mine's leaking from where the yoke goes into the t-case. I'll let yall have a look at it and we'll go from there. I'm gonna have the u-joints changed out when I fix this problem. Thanks yall.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:14 AM

that seal is a dealer only item because everytime I tried an autopart store they gave me a smaller one. It cost @50.00 for it. I changed mine and it is still leaking small amounts, was told the tail shaft housing sometimes has an issue with leaking and the only way to fix is order a new housing. I'm not totally sure about it, that was handed down to me from a buddy that had to have it done on his '99 Dodge 3500.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:28 AM

Big Blue...

Since you are having driveline problems... Make sure you check the bearing in the T-Case. Make sure it's smooth to turn and not loose.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got mine from Quad 4X4, I actually bought every seal for my 241 DHD for about $150.00, that even includes that funky aluminum/rubber seal between the tailshaft extension and the x-fer case body.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:53 AM
Banned

Sounds good fellas. I was looking at the FSM last night about it and it looks dang simple to change out. Now, do I need to go and get a special tool like they say to change the sucker or can I just use a socket and c-clamp to press that sucker out?
Old 01-20-2006, 09:22 AM

If you are just changing the seal, you pop it out with a screwdriver or seal puller, and then pound it back in. No special tools required. You don't even need to remove the tail shaft. If you are going to replace the bushing too, you will PROBABLY have to remove the tailshaft.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:53 AM
Banned

All I'm gonna replace is the little black rubber thingy that's sticking out of the rear of the t-case.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:18 PM

No special tools, just a screw driver, hammer, and a block of wood!!
Old 01-20-2006, 02:52 PM

I had mine done a few months ago. JDGnut is right. They usually will try to sell you the seal that cost about $20. but you need the one that cost about $45. The trans tech at the dealer told me that alot of times just changing the seal will not fix the leak. It seams that the tail housing on the T-case gets worn. The seal fixed mine though.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:44 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
I have had to change mine recently too. Yes, like everyone is saying, the auto parts stores dont carry the right one. They only can get the small one no matter what the books or computer tells you. The big seal with the rubber boot is from the dealer for around $50 or so. It is very easy to replace. BUT the one thing I didnt get advised to do was put some sealant on the part of the seal that touches the tail shaft. The metal to metal contact part. My new seal doesnt leak out the rubber anymore but it now leaks out the between the metal surfaces. It fit really good too. I havent got around to changing it since I havent found out if I can get it back out without ruining it to seal it up and I dont want to spend another $50 right now.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by RAM2940
The trans tech at the dealer told me that alot of times just changing the seal will not fix the leak. It seams that the tail housing on the T-case gets worn. The seal fixed mine though.
The tailshaft housing has a bushing that wears out, you can replace that, the housing itself does not wear.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:22 AM
Banned

I had my bearing on my input shaft on my T-case go to crap on my 1500 that I used to have. Man that sucker would leak something CRAZY!!! The shaft was so loose in there it basically trashed the T-case and I had to end up getting a new one!! What a pain!

~Nick

Quick Reply: Leak out of T-case