24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

just found out i got a "53' block- how bad is it??

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Geico266
Use the title search option for "53 block". Tons of pics & info.
Geico266, he's talking about the TDR link mentioned above. Like me, he does not have a subscription and would like to know what the buzz is about this new "53 block" info.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:13 AM
xmr

I can't see the info on TDR either but I have learned one thing in doing hours of research is that some of the blocks in the cooling jacket are 6mm thick and some are 9mm thick. I suspect that the folks lucky enough to get one that is 9mm thick probably don't have the problem with cracking that the thinner castings have. After I found out that my block had a crack about 12 inches long I gave up and am having an motor from a wrecked truck installed. It has a long series of letters and numbers that are much smaller than the #53. Hopefully I won't have any more problems. One significant number that I read was that 8 out of 10 of the #53 blocks that were installed in motor homes had cracked. I can't understand how Cummins and Dodge managed to get by with out a recall. The #53 block was designed for a 90 hp engine and Some manager at Cummins decided it was a way to maximise the profit margin on our engines. Since most of the info came off of the internet It is hard to verify the accuracy but it certainly makes sense.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:59 PM

I'm sure there are a lot of "stories" as to why the 53 block is the way it is. I heard that it was a misinterpretation of the blueprints, who really knows!

As for this "new" information, can someone enlighten us lucky 53 block owners, so we might rejoice ... or not?
Old 12-01-2005, 09:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KATOOM
Thanks but that did me no good. I need to know what everyone is talking about on this very thread. Oh yea, and pictures too.
__________________________________________________ ____

First off sorry but no pics, however I spent some time looking at blocks with Piers and he did show me something all the cracked 53 blocks hes seen have in common "A VERY POURUS CASTING" now I realize when you dont have two blocks side by side to compare it may seem hard to tell the difference, but once you see just how crappy the casting is in that area it will stand out like a sore thumb. Just look at the whole pass side of the block and if it looks nice and even with no areas of deep porosity, chances are you will be ok. Piers also said hes never seen a 12v with a bad 53 but there will always be an exception. I dont claim to be a expert on this its just my observation.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:46 PM
Banned

225,000kms on my "53" block(smooth casting if that makes a difference), with lots of hard driving, and lots of heavy mountain towing. I figure with all the abuse I give it, it should have split long ago. Don't lose any sleep over it, it's too late to worry about it now, just cause it has "53" on it doesn't mean it will split. It's a crapshoot from what I've seen/heard, maybe the blocks with the rough porosity castings, as stated are the only ones that crack?

I'm sure there has been previous polls done in the past, maybe someone should post a poll on how many have had a problem up to this date (percentage wise <1% ????? dunno). All people who have "53" blocks are the ones who should be voting also, not just ones who have had misfortune with cracked "53" block, so as you get a more accurate overall reading.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:30 PM

I looked at the case where the 53 should be and there is no numbers however right above where it would be there is some numbers and letters that don't apear to be as large as the pictures of the 53 I have seen. Does that mean that I don't have the 53 block if there is nothing there? Or am I not looking at the right place (I am pretty sure that I am though) Shouldn't there be something threre though?
Old 12-02-2005, 12:50 PM
xmr

Jarred it would appear that you are one of the lucky ones. You probably have one of the mexican blocks that don't crack.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:26 PM

ya mines like that to. Right above where the 53 should be there is B6B7 or something like that.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by zezzy
ya mines like that to. Right above where the 53 should be there is B6B7 or something like that.
And that would be the tougher Mexican block! Lucky guy
Old 12-06-2005, 08:00 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
So no pictures to post? Thats a bummer. I would have asked everyone that has had a #53 crack on to share if their block looked smooth or rough but Im sure they dont have them laying around their yard. Why cant anyone transfer the priceless TDR pictures over to this site so we can end the frustration?
Old 12-08-2005, 02:55 AM

i looked on my block i didn't see a "53" i seen a 48 and another num also how can u tell if u have a mexican block tougher
Old 12-08-2005, 07:31 AM

Just about everything you need to know is on Stamey's page. If you do not see the big #53 - then you have nothing to worry about.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just worked on an 00 with a troublesome electrical prob. I crawled under it to check the harness and there was the big 53 on the side. I went and looked under the pass side and there were stains from leakage and a 6-7 inch long crack in it. This is the FIRST 53 I had seen with a crack at work. It was probably in 2002-2003 that I first heard of this, and it was HERE that I first read info on it.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:56 PM
GSP

Talking

I have a 53. I got under there and checked for cracks last year when I got the truck. No cracks nice and smooth cast. I wiped the passinger side of the block down good and the black paint is smooth and shiney. I check it all the time . No cracks . I aint goinna worry about it. Just pulled my 5th wheel all over the Pacific northwest mountains on hunting trips . No cracks. Got 110,000 miles on it and the previous owner hauled a hugh 5th wheel towyhauler alot and blew up the trans. If it was going to crack it would have cracked already. I keep the coolant clean and change frequently , and have a zinc metal prop insert.

H*ll ,,I heard fords spring leaks in the cylinder walls
Old 12-10-2005, 03:57 AM

? about 53

i looked all around along the oil pan and i didn't see a 53 or anyother num the only num i seen was up high almost right behind the powerstreering pump

Quick Reply: just found out i got a "53' block- how bad is it??