24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Just another oil spewing question for the experts.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Just another oil spewing question for the experts.

I just this past weekend traded in my common rail for a 24 valve. Put about 100 miles on it and noticed oil all over the underside of the truck and driveway. THe oil was changed by the dealer when I bought it and seems to be overfilled. It was reading about 1 1/2 over the safe zone on the dipstick. I drained off about 1 1/2 qt bringing the level about 2/3 up in the safe zone this am and drove about 3 mile trip running engine a little hard and parked truck. Noticed 1 drip came out of the blowby tube to the ground. What do I need to watch for to ensure no major damage? Could a qt high cause a saucer sized amount of blowby on a good engine or is mine shot? Could the drop that I saw just be a little residual in the tube or line that leads to the blowby? THanks for answering my question. This is a great site. I look forward to learning lots of great stuff on here.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:28 PM

if it was overfull from the dealer, maybe its full of diesel fuel in the oil..(have a sniff to be sure) its normal to have vapor and oil drips on to the ground, mine drips a couple of drops now and then.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:37 PM

coulda been vent tube blow by .check the PS pump drive as well .lets hope its not crankcase pressure keep an eye on it . i think most of us have oil spots on the driveway. check the radiator between the fan shroud and blades if you see a lot of dirt .and get back to us.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:12 PM

I checked the oil for fuel smell and did not smell any. I have driven it for a few couple mile trips since draining off about a court and a half and now just a few drips from blowby tube.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The trucks came new with a little black canister that the blow-by drained into. Most have taken that off, added a longer length of tube to get below the axle and take care not to overfill the truck with oil. I've had dealers seriously overfill the oil and it takes care of itself, at the expense of the ground and underside of the truck. Reroute and lengthen your blow-by tube (I used a small length of flexible tubing that fits inside the original black tube to get it below the axle.) Wipe down your oil pan and drive it around. I bet you won't find any more leaks other than from the tube....
Old 07-08-2008, 12:03 PM

It appears that draining the oil has signifigantly slowed the blow by that I was having. But is a few drips normal after running around town for a half hour or so with never getting the truck above 35? If that is norm than I am ok. My truck has a length of hose on it already that is even with the bottom of the axle. So I think that I am good there.