24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Ive about had it.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Ive about had it.

I just replaced the vp44 with one from Industrel injection, and I also put a new cam censor. Well at first it ran great for the first 2 days. But for somereson It didnt seem like my tst box was working. at times it seemed to but others not.
Tonight I was playing around with a corvette , Him and I were having fun racing from light to light. But the last time I left from the light I notticed that the little engine light was on. Not the check engine light but the engine shaped light. now the tst box dosent work at all. I have tried turning off the box totally with the little switch on the box but the little engine light is still on. I am going to try unpluging it at the map In the morning to see if its the box, but if its not I am at a loss. I have spent so much money on this truck It hurts. Every time I replace one thing something else happens.

I have done the exaust the fass pump, clutch, oil pressure sending unit,the vp44, cam censor and the brakes completely including rotors, calipers,pads and shoes and then the chevy rear cylenders. I have Installed the injectors and the two boxes ,gauges, ball joints, topper, stereo and I orderd head studs..

I couldnt tell you how much I have spent,but Its killing me.
Could someone tell me why I keep doing this and what my little problame is with the little engine light.

Sorry to keep ranting on but I am very frustrated.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:03 PM
tdm

Tonight I was playing around with a corvette , Him and I were having fun racing from light to light. But the last time I left from the light I notticed that the little engine light was on. Not the check engine light but the engine shaped light. now the tst box dosent work at all.

If you stop driving your truck like and Ape with Edit RASH you might be able to keep it together!

All of the MODS we do and power we're making is a blast. However you need to keep in mind that these trucks are not sports cars and they will break.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:38 PM

Well hell I thought I had a SRT I6...

I know I know but I just wanted to vent. I was all ready to buy a new one and leave it pretty stock but I got so turned off by the dealer I decided to keep this one. and seeing how much I have spent on this one I am second guissing my decision. Dont think the wife would go for a new one now.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:15 PM
tdm

Yeah I hear ya. You've already done alot to this one.... There shouldn't be that much more to do.

I don't know much about the TST box you're running but it does sound like wiring would be the place to start. I think about 90% of the "it just started doing this" problems are wiring related.

BTW.... Throw a bunch of thumb tacks in your right shoe before you put it on, It'll help you keep from mashing the skinny pedal
Old 09-09-2006, 01:45 PM

I look at it this way $500 or 1000 here and there is a heck of a lot cheaper than $40000 or $50000 for the next five yrs. If you leave these trucks stock they go forever with basic maintance, 208k on my 98 to my knowledge on LP and IP, brakes, tires, and oil, Oh and 2 headlight switchs. Hang onto the old girl great trucks.

Jed
Old 09-10-2006, 07:45 AM

Well I pulled stuff apart yesterday and re torqued everything,and found that wiretap was loose. Put a new positap and bam she was ready. But the little engien light is still on.

She is really fun and quick. I think Ill keep her....
Old 09-10-2006, 08:36 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jaymo
Well I pulled stuff apart yesterday and re torqued everything,and found that wiretap was loose. Put a new positap and bam she was ready. But the little engien light is still on.

She is really fun and quick. I think Ill keep her....
I kinda thought that but didn't say anything. Do youself a favor and solder the wires. Take your time and do a professional install on the things you do and they will give you alot less trouble. I'm not dissin you, I'm just relaying my experience. Way too often (when I was younger) I would be in too much of a hurry to try the mod out and "temp" everything in so I could see if it works. Then I wouldn't go back and make it permenent. Do it right, slow down, take your time. Pretend you are working on an aiplane.

Throw those wire taps things away. They are not made for under the hood applications and will corrode. Use solder, shrink tubing, & liquid tape. Do it right the last time.

The engine light may go out after 30-50 starts. It can reset itself if you have fixed the problem.

Good call on going back and looking for problems, you found it.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by linetrash75
I look at it this way $500 or 1000 here and there is a heck of a lot cheaper than $40000 or $50000 for the next five yrs. If you leave these trucks stock they go forever with basic maintance, 208k on my 98 to my knowledge on LP and IP, brakes, tires, and oil, Oh and 2 headlight switchs. Hang onto the old girl great trucks.

Jed
You got it right! It amazes me when guys cry that they broke their truck (not anyone in this thread) and they have been running it like a NASCAR stock car.

If you play, you will pay.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Geico266
Do youself a favor and solder the wires. Take your time and do a professional install on the things you do and they will give you alot less trouble. I'm not dissin you, I'm just relaying my experience. Way too often (when I was younger) I would be in too much of a hurry to try the mod out and "temp" everything in so I could see if it works. Then I wouldn't go back and make it permenent. Do it right, slow down, take your time. Pretend you are working on an aiplane.

Throw those wire taps things away. They are not made for under the hood applications and will corrode. Use solder, shrink tubing, & liquid tape. Do it right the last time.
That is the absolute best advice you could ask for with respect to a wire tap box!!! As soon as I saw the grabber thing that came with the TST I knew there was no way I was using it. Now, since I've changed my VP I put a Blue Chip pump cover on it and tapped the circuit board, but if I didn't have that cover I would have soldered and shrink wrapped that connection again.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:02 AM

I am a little offended. If you were to see any of the work I have done to my truck you would freak. I have been told over and over that I am to **** for my own good. The reason for the taplock was I was told not to solder to close to the pump because it could heat up the internals and loose some of the internal integrety.
When it comes to driving I havent a fast vehicle since 87 when I had a mustang and found that driving a sports car only got me in trouble. Now that Im older and wiser , I do drive hard but thats why I drive what I do. But as all older vehicles go the mantinance things all come but with this truck they are all coming at once. So I am just getting a little agrevated.

And I know my spelling sucks but thats why I swing a hammer for a living....
Old 09-10-2006, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by jaymo
And I know my spelling sucks but thats why I swing a hammer for a living....
They have spell check now, down load that baby and you'll be good to go!