24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Its gonna take a real diesel mechanic to figure this one out..

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 12:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its gonna take a real diesel mechanic to figure this one out..

Ok, I have a un-steady idle, not rough, engine does not shake and its not really a miss more like a loss of rythm. Its really hard to describe. I so far have re-set the TPS, checked all injection line fittings, replaced all six injectors with jammer 1's, re-set the ECM, disconnected my edge box, put the map sensor out of my brothers truck into mine, replaced all six injection line crossover tubes, I have an airdog fuel system with a steady 16psi and I am completely out of ideas. Any information and/or ideas would be greatly apperciated. Oh by the way its a 2001, 24v H.O.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:19 AM

what codes, if any, do you have??
Old 08-18-2006, 06:26 AM
Chapter President

Could the VP be operating on an intermittent fashion? There may be some way to check the signal in, to make sure that it is steady, but as for checking the output......??
Old 08-18-2006, 07:55 AM

mine did the same thing but got to the point that it sounded like a huge cam in the truck at idle.. was pretty cool sounding when you have straight pipe exhuast but it ended up being bad ground on ECM, also there was noise from the alternator i wrapped like 3/4" of aluminum foil around the brownish ground wire going to the left battery. This will help with transmission seeking aswell if you have this problem aslo. Then i checked every ground wire and put die electric grease in the connectors that are on grounding cables in the engine bay. This fixed my problem.... ill see if i can actually find the video i made of the truck when it did it.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Rauschbo
Could the VP be operating on an intermittent fashion? There may be some way to check the signal in, to make sure that it is steady, but as for checking the output......??
Kinda what I was thinking. When my VP went, I had a fluctuating idle situation. The tach would bounce up and down... it was even noticeable when I'd set the cruise control. When the VP actually died, it had a huge lope like a big block with a cam.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Derek Roch
Ok, I have a un-steady idle, not rough, engine does not shake and its not really a miss more like a loss of rythm. Its really hard to describe. I so far have re-set the TPS, checked all injection line fittings, replaced all six injectors with jammer 1's, re-set the ECM, disconnected my edge box, put the map sensor out of my brothers truck into mine, replaced all six injection line crossover tubes, I have an airdog fuel system with a steady 16psi and I am completely out of ideas. Any information and/or ideas would be greatly apperciated. Oh by the way its a 2001, 24v H.O.

If the check engine light isn't on it's not bad enough to worry about!
Old 08-19-2006, 07:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
it is possable the the larger injectors are doing it and the VP is trying to compansate for the added extra fuel at idle!
Old 08-19-2006, 07:29 PM

hey, his name is my name, too! got a ticket in brazoria once
Old 08-19-2006, 07:35 PM

have the same problem to,pretty cool suonding through
Old 08-19-2006, 10:23 PM

the bigger injectors shoul smoth out the idle, unless there like 150hp over stock or somethin, i know my 275's idle smother than my old dirty stock ones. and thats about the same as the stage 1's.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:37 PM

I dont have any codes...Something that I forgot to mention..The truck does not do it when the engine is cold...In the morning it idle's smooth as glass for the first 5 to 10 minutes then starts acting up. As for the ground wires to the ECM where are they and how many of them are there??? Thanks for the help...
Old 08-21-2006, 06:51 AM

I dont have any codes...Something that I forgot to mention..The truck does not do it when the engine is cold...In the morning it idle's smooth as glass for the first 5 to 10 minutes then starts acting up. As for the ground wires to the ECM where are they and how many of them are there??? Thanks for the help...
Yet another symptom of a failing/dead injection pump. Mine truck would be just fine until the engine had fully come up to temperature or when the ambient temperature was fairly warm.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:55 PM

Mine does the exact oposite thing. I get the "rump-rump-rump" idle until it warms up, then it purrs like a kitten. It got more noticable after I installed the M1's.

I had heard that the loping idle when warmed up, but not cold, is a warning sign to a possible VP failure. I checked the grid heaters and they appear to be getting hot, plus all the usual fuel leaks.

Any ideas, what's my problem?

Jim
Old 08-22-2006, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by singleturnout
have the same problem to,pretty cool suonding through

What a positive outlook
Old 08-23-2006, 01:32 AM

The truck does not do it when the engine is cold...In the morning it idle's smooth as glass for the first 5 to 10 minutes then starts acting up.
Hmmm, mine is doing somewhat the same thing - a miss at speed and a slightly rough idle - but only after the truck warms up - or after you drive it and shut it off, and then start it up again.

It's not the injection pump - I replaced mine 5000 miles ago, and the new unit tests out fine. I thought perhaps it was the IAT sensor, but I replaced that and although it steadied out some, it's still missing.