24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Introduction and help request

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 03:49 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Introduction and help request

Hello to all. My name is Cody and I have a small club of diesel enthusiests called Death Row Diesel. We are out of Spicewood,TX. Some of you may have seen one of our Fords in Diesel Power mag. Anyway, our club consists of guys who come to my personal shop at home to have mods done, or help with other members trucks. That being said, I have a truck I need help with.

While I'm a Ford guy (I know, my first problem. LOL) I have several guys who are Dodge guys. Well, I'm really just getting my feet wet on the Cummins. I've done injectors on 12v's, built custom intakes for all three generations of Cummins, one turbo on a second gen, and not much else. Now to the problem.

2000 Extended cab 4x4 dually 24v.
New truck to the owner. He brings it to me and the first mod is 6" bullhauler stacks. Then bhaf. One week later is an Edge Comp Drag box. The whole time we are hearing what I thought was turbo flutter. When you are really winding it out, the turbo sounds like it is going to come apart, and the engine shakes. WEEEEE Cheee Cheee.....for better lack of trying to describe it. Not the chuffing when you let out after a WOT run.

I converse with my only Dodge guru I know and we come to the conclusion it could be the turbo. So we replaced it. Same problem. Now we are looking at other options. Maybe fuel pressure? Maybe valve lash? It does have a crack in the ex. manifold..... We will set up valves asap. But where do I get a fitting to thread on the VP44 banjo fitting to check fuel press? Any tips on that would be greatly appreciated.

Any idea you guys have, I'm all ears. Yes, I'm a Ford guy. But I do my best to help all my guys with problems or mods reguardless of make. So I figured I better come to the guys that have the answers I need. Thanks for your time guys, and I look forward to learning from you.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It should haue a schrader to check fuel pressure on the filter houseing or the VP44.