24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Intermittant Power Loss????

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 01:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittant Power Loss????

I have a 2000 dually one ton. The other day while pulling my race car trailer, the truck instantly lost 75% of it's power. All the gauge readings looked good. FP was 12psi. The engine would not smoke in gear or in neutral. It also was very slow to build boost and would max out at about 10lbs. I shut the truck off and then restarted and everything was the same. I then reached down and shut off the Edge Comp box off and nothing changed. I then slowly started towards home and while accelerating in 3rd gear at WOT barely running 30mph it was like someone flipped a switch and now it had 30lbs of boost and back to normal power. It ran fine all the way home. The next week unhooked from the trailer drove about 70 miles truck ran fine! Stopped at a stop light went to take off and back to no power and boost. Stayed that way all the way home. Looking for ideas? Could it be the MAP sensor or APPS or could it be the early stages of the VP 44 going out. My dad installed a RASP belt drive fuel pump about 8K ago after putting my third lift pump in 10K miles. Never ran the engine at low FP!
Old 01-10-2006, 07:35 AM

hope someone answers. Ive got the same problem.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:15 AM

I would say APPS, mine is going out now. Sometimes is runs great but can change from one light to the next. Most of the time it runs doggish & has no pedal.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:19 PM

Mine had the same symptoms and after three trips to the dealer they couldn't find a thing wrong with it. The truck even did it while the mechanic took it for a test drive and after about a month of the dead pedal a check engine light came on and it was the APPS. My new mechanic told me that when the APPS goes out the engine goes into trouble mode or idle. Goodluck, Eric
Old 01-11-2006, 02:58 PM

mine started reading a 216 code and is now showing a low fuel pressure. no check engine lights or other codes. guess its time to order that pump PDS has a hot rod punp for 1500 with no warranty. cant decide if the warranty is worth it or not
Old 01-11-2006, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dcsebesta
cant decide if the warranty is worth it or not
Go with one that has a warranty.
Even the hotrod pumps can be built from a pump that has design flaws that will shorten it's life considerably.

phox
Old 01-11-2006, 10:52 PM

Exclamation

To me it sounds like the map sensor is out or apps or cam sensor.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:57 PM

Thanks for the ideas guys! I haven't had time this week to take it to Cummins. I only use the truck to pull a 40ft race car trailer; so it's just sitting right now. I will try to take it to Cummins on Friday to see what they say. I am probably going to replace APPS and MAP sensor anyway. I have been talking to a couple of other Dodge guys and they said it could still be the elctronics on the VP44. I'll let you know what Cummins has to say about it! If it is the Vp44, then I am pretty sure I will go with HR VP44 from Industrial Injection.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:07 AM

I dropped the truck off to a guy I know who works for a Dodge dealer. He pulled the codes and found a code for the MAP sensor, APPS sensor, and the ECM. He then thought the Edge box was causing the problem, but I told him that it would still lose power with edge box off. He then cleared all the codes and took the truck for a drive and it immediately started out with no power. Just a few miles down the road; it picked up and ran just fine. Returned to the shop and checked the codes and it only showed a MAP sensor code. They replaced the Map sensor and they are going to be driving the truck some this weekend to see if any other codes pop up. I have the gut feeling that the APPS is starting to go bad too because sometimes the truck will get a "buck" or "hiccup" in it when just cruising down the road. I'll post the rest when I learn more!