24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

intank pump+ updated cummins pump= ?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile vulcan relocate kit and cummins lp

Just for info. I recently had the new intank pump and vp44 replaced under warranty. After that i put in a set of gauges on the pillar, including fp gauge. With stock lines and fittings, fp was 9psi at idle and wot at 4 or less. Last night i installed a vulcan 1/2" line kit, but without installing the new carter lift pump(from cummins) on frame. I just put a flared union in its place to connect to original line from tank and the line up to filter housing. With that installed i have 11psi at idle and could not drop below 8psi at wot, and a noticeable improvement in power! I will be running that for a while to see what performance does as far as mileage, towing, etc. I also talked to a cummins tech about fp. He said that normal max is about 15 psi and min is 5psi for proper operation of vp44. Eventually i will place the new carter in its place and go from there. I am very happy with the vulcan performance and it only makes sense. You are eliminating all banjo's including through the old lp mount which seems like a dodge mistake when they put the intank in place, and you are opening up the line for fuel to flow. I would bet that this line kit would be fine with the intank pump for the long term as long as pump is healthy.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by supr
This sounds like the answer to al Gen 2's prayers. I hav yet to understand how the maker of the BEST DIESEL managed to put on a POS lift pump that seems like it fails 99% by 50k mi., often taking the poor VP44 with it. How much testing did they do, I wonder?
Ar any rate, I am an RVer with 25k on my truck. Buying 2-3 of these as a spare seems to be a no brainer, along with FP gauge.
My question is, as long as the truck is under warranty, is it best to stay away from big line, relo kits like the Vulcan until the warranty is gone? Seems like I have read that the dealers don't need much excuse to deny a warranty claim.
What are other peoples strategy for LP/Warranty situations?????
I was in the same boat as you. I printed the vulcan kit info and had the Dodge diesel tech, service manager and warranty underwriter look at it and told me they will honor the warranty on the vp-44 and the lift pump if I wanted the in-tank mod in the future. Since then, the VP-44 was replace under warranty without any questions. They did check my lift pump by the "volume test". The NAPA pump with the big kit smoked this test...

I know every dealer is different, but just talk to your dealer and see what they say. Worse thing is they say they won't honor the warranty.

Best of luck,

Joe
Old 04-11-2006, 08:34 AM

Ok I finally have my new fuel system all installed. I got my truck back from the dealer with a new in tank lift pump installed along with a new vp-44. The fuel pressures were almost the same with the in tank pump as they were with the original lift pump. 7 psi max at idle and kOEO, 5 psi at cruise and can pull it down to 1-2psi on heavy accel. The tech was very surprised. Mine was the first truck he did that had fuel pressure guage installed and he had never checked it after the replacement was done.

I installed a vulcan fuel line kit with a Cummins recall pump. I was planning on wiring it to an oil pressure switch but changed my mind when I saw how low my pressure was with the in tank pump. So I wired it to a relay that is triggered by the same wire that triggers the relay they installed for the in tank pump. I may change that back to an oil pressure switch like I had originaly planned because.....

I now have 25psi at idle and KOEO and could bring it down to no lower than 20psi, on heavy accel with my Edge Comp on 3x5 ( wire still not tapped)

It does start fine now but I do understand some people have had hard start issues with that much pressure. So I may rewire it.

It will start and run on the in tank pump only with the Cummins pump electrically dead but I have not had the chance to try the other way around. I will and then report back here with my findings. But so far I am very happy with this system. It was also a very easy install. The Vulcan kit was very easy to use and complete in every way. I did not need to add or change anything that he sold me in the kit. It also looks very clean and fits very well. Could be a factory install, especially with the new compression fitting he uses to connect to the fuel line from the tank.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:57 PM

macjazzy,
what big line kit did you get? When I contacted Vulcan, Eric sent me an e-mail that said..."I don't have a specific kit for your in tank situation I can configure one for you although I have not had any feedback for those who have done this so I cannot attest to its effectiveness. Were you looking to just connect to the factory hard line as it comes up to the fire wall to the
filter? Of course this kit will need fewer components and will be less
expensive. There are a couple of guys who are adding a second pump but
that requires an oil pressure triggered relay harness (which I don't
make but have the parts for) for the second pump. Let me know exactly what you want and I'll make something up for you."
Old 04-16-2006, 09:45 AM

I did use the Vulcan kit. I need to get back to Eric, I haven't because I wanted to do some testing with one or the other pump electrically dead as tehre has been some concern here about what would happen if one of the pumps dies.

I had such low pressure (7psi) with the new in tank pump that I wired mine through a relay but from the same trigger wire as the in tank pumps relay. So they both operate at the same time. I may change that to a oil pressure switch triggered system as my pressure with both pumps on is almost 25 psi.

So far it has worked out great for me. I cut the hard fuel line abut a foot in front of the tank and using a compression fitting I got from Vulcan tapped in the new Cummins pump and Vulcan 1/2 line the rest of the way up.

I have tried the truck with each pump electrically dead. Either one will produce about 7-10 psi. A major drop but it is enough to run the engine and drive. I have tried it both ways. So you will definately notice when one pump dies and have the ability to drive it home or wherever you need to go to fix it. Both pumps can pull or push fuel through the other.

I am very happy with this set up and it was very easy to do. All the parts I got I got from Vulcan.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:25 PM

I have not been around the DTR for a while since my warrantied LP and VP44 were working fine, but now they are doing the same thing as before they were replaced 17 months ago. My dealership that did the work wired the fp gauge incorrectly and I never made the time to fix it so it is my fault now that the truck is out of warranty.

I have a few questions. First, where can I get a hold of the Vulcan dude? I Googled the name, but came up with other things... (EDIT: IF OUND VULCANPERFORMANCE.COM--nice site)

Also, for a mild use truck, like daily driving and towing less than 10K a few times a month, can I just get away with this new replacement "bus" LP and a Vulcan big line kit, in addition to the new VP44 that I will be buying? Would two of these "bus" LPs inline on the frame rail be overkill?

Thanks for the help and anyone with long term experience with the new LPs would be appreciated.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:09 PM

Thumbs up

I think one of the new Cummins "kit" pumps and the Vulcan is worth a try. The Vulcan $100, the kit $65. I would make sure your gauge is working & cary a spare pump.
Perhaps the FASS 2 may be th better long term solution, but for less than half, this is worth a shot and , a good gauge.
Time will tell, but at $65 a pump, a year or two(or more?), cheap fix for a bad, bad, problem.
If the pump goes bad, I inderstand it should easily be changeable on the road.
Perhaps dual pumps is a bit of overkill?
Old 06-08-2006, 11:00 AM

I am not sure 2 pumps are an over kill. I just got my truck back on tuesday from having it die on the road on my way to work, yep that is right lp and vp44. Getting it back and $2500.00 later i am now not wanting to take the chance. Has any one found this bus kit here in utah? I have called a couple of places in salt lake and they didnt even show there was a part# like that. I am not a diesel mechanic at all. so is this going to be hard for me to do? I am broke now after my last deal so i need to do it myself. I have gauges and i get about 10psi id, 7 psi crus, 3-4 psi getting my foot in it. Does any one have a diagram or pics to help me with this, i am not sure i know where the original pump was on the truck. I have been to mad to crawl under there and look to see if i can remember.
Now to my soap box:
I will say this site has some of the best people on it. Please keep up the good work for the people like me (slow or new)(ya i am the slow one). Also thank you for great insite everyone has. Thanks to all.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:54 AM

`I am a new member and owner of 06 3500. All this history of pump failures scares me as I pull my saddle mules and would be trouble to break down. That is why I got a cummins. I do love it, but I drove my old 87 6.9L ford (with banks turbo) for 14 years without a breakdown on road. Is this still a problem for a 2006 model? I would hope not after what seems to me years of same problem, but my luck it probably still is. I appreciate any and all info. My engine is stock and I just want reliability. Is it worth spending hundreds on a new fuel delivery system on a brand new truck just have peace of mind or is it not needed?
Old 06-08-2006, 01:41 PM

Smile

From what I understand, the Gen 3's have the same issues. The same remedy applies. Get a fuel Gauge, watch it close. As I understand, this pump will work for you, with A Vulcan kit. If/when FP starts getting low, make the move. Of course, under warranty, let DC pay. It would be wise to carry one of these $65 pumps as an insurance policy. Also, I think everyone concurs, running Power Service or similar all the time, is also good pm.
Godd luck! Once you get this demon under control, life will be good!
Old 06-08-2006, 04:13 PM

Smile

Thanks Supr, I love this forum. Everyone seems eager to help anyone if they have some info. Thanks again. Nelson