24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

intank pump+ updated cummins pump= ?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have heard alot of people saying they had that problem, that or being charged 200.00 instead of 65.00 Don't give up. Most any of them will ship parts. So just go to cummins website and start calling parts departments. You can find one that will sell it for the 65.00 price. I got mine from the Roanoke,Va dealer. He asked no questions. Also try to sound like you are a business. Call and say " Hi this is John from John's truck service can you give me price and availability of a p/n? Then just rattle off the part number. You are not really lying, you are doing the service on your truck, it just makes you sound like the dealers that call them all day every day.

I just recieved mine. It includes the pump, and instructions, and a fuel pressure switch, with wiring for that and a new banjo fitting to install the switch, with all the banjo fitting washers. It is a great kit for 65.00
Old 03-16-2006, 07:32 AM

Actually, I did find one....I'm having my brother pick it up for me. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Actually, I did find one....I'm having my brother pick it up for me. Thanks.
Dont happen to have a part# Do you?
Old 03-16-2006, 10:27 AM

P/N 4090046, is for the lift pump kit. It is recall kit for buses, ambulances and other public works type vehicles. It will fit our trucks. I am not sure of the individual pumps part number but the 65.00 price is for this number- 4090046. So that is what you need to ask for. I work at a new car dealer this is standard procedure. When you have a recall you control the parts so you price them really low so you don't get eaten up in recall costs. After the recall is over the price will be adjusted way up. You just need to make them think you are doing the recall. Some won't ask anything at all other than "how will you be paying for this and where do I ship it?" You are not breaking any laws by getting it for this price. If you feel bad about lying just keep calling cummins parts departments till you get someone who doesn't ask what you want it for.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:52 AM

Cummins quoted me 270 $Cdn for 4090046 without even asking me any questions as to whether it was for a school bus etc. but Freightliner sold it to me 87 $Cdn. I bought two, one I will keep as a spare. I had been planning on installing a Walbro as per Superduty's recommendation but with the pump being so inexpensive I am going to stay with OE pump for now. 4090046 comes with a little booklet, as far as I could make out the pump is the same as the old pump. It certainly looks the same and there has been mention of an internal bypass in the new pump, the OE pump has the same internal bypass.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:45 AM

I plan on mounting mine back by the tank on the frame and installing bigger lines. Hopefully that will lessen the load on the pump. Vulcan has a great kit for relocating the pump and adding bigger lines and fittings. I just ordered mine. Eric was great to deal with and is continually upgrading his kit to make it better and to match what he says his customers ask for in the kit. I would greatly suggest doing something along those lines. If you can replace the pump it is just as easy to relocate it with one of these kits.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:35 PM

Called this morning on the Cummins part number for the updated pump kit. Had no problem getting one. $76.00 & Some change. Called a heavy truck dealership that I deal with for my DT Internationals. Should have it within the next couple days and let you know how it works out. Also just smoked the gear box in my 93 1 ton 4x4 x-cab dually diesel 5speed, 65,000 miles new, go figure!
Old 03-16-2006, 03:10 PM

Question

This sounds like the answer to al Gen 2's prayers. I hav yet to understand how the maker of the BEST DIESEL managed to put on a POS lift pump that seems like it fails 99% by 50k mi., often taking the poor VP44 with it. How much testing did they do, I wonder?
Ar any rate, I am an RVer with 25k on my truck. Buying 2-3 of these as a spare seems to be a no brainer, along with FP gauge.
My question is, as long as the truck is under warranty, is it best to stay away from big line, relo kits like the Vulcan until the warranty is gone? Seems like I have read that the dealers don't need much excuse to deny a warranty claim.
What are other peoples strategy for LP/Warranty situations?????
Old 03-16-2006, 03:38 PM

I guess its more of a case by case basis. But the way the law is written they can not deny your warr, claim unless they can prove that the part you changed directly resulted in the failure. In other words if you put exhaust on your truck and the power window motor fails, they can not deny your warr. claim however if your aftermarket exhaust rubs a wire and burns up the harness you are totally on your own. Now the up side to that is that many dealers will decline your warr. for any reason they can. It is not legal but you would have to get a lawyer to fight it and most people won't do that. All that being said I believe they would have a hard time saying that bigger lines or placing the fuel pump where they eventually moved it anyway caused a problem that they could decline your warr. coverage for. But that is your burden to bare. I would probably discuss it with your dealer if you do not have a good relationship with one. Although I think that the changes you make are good enough that you probably won't need to use your dealer for lift pump or vp44 problems anyway.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:02 PM

I called Cummins Southern Plaines here in Fort Worth regarding the updated LP kit, P/N 4090046. The parts guy that I have dealt with for the last two years told me that pump kit was restricted to shop use only for replacement in school buses. He wouldn't even order it for me. He also told me the kit would not work on my 02 Dodge CTD.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:00 PM

Probably stock contention due to recall... they want to make sure they have enough replacements for "important people".

Its funny how these forums influence purchasing. I have a friend who works for a fuel injection shop... When I got my injectors he said that they were selling 600 RV275 injectors per month!!

The guy who's been selling you stuff probably knows who you are, and has heard the same request from a bunch of other ram owners. Since he knows you're private he may just want to supply his commercial customers due to limited supply

...I could be just talking out of my **** though.

Sorry you got blown off
Old 03-16-2006, 07:01 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
You have to call a truck shop...not Cummins.
I also found out I can get my filters even cheaper then at the Cummins store by going to the JOHN DEERE DEALERso I will check there about the pump as well.

Scotty
Old 03-17-2006, 03:27 PM

Thumbs up

Your mileage may vary. I called Cunnins in Houston, just come by, we got lots. They don't seem to mind the fine print.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by billmac
I called Cummins Southern Plaines here in Fort Worth regarding the updated LP kit, P/N 4090046. The parts guy that I have dealt with for the last two years told me that pump kit was restricted to shop use only for replacement in school buses. He wouldn't even order it for me. He also told me the kit would not work on my 02 Dodge CTD.

I just got one 68.05 with tax. It will work on a 2002 model.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by nitrousn
I just got one 68.05 with tax. It will work on a 2002 model.
Are the 2002 mounted on the fuel filter like the 2003's are? Same pump or only for the non common rails?

Quick Reply: intank pump+ updated cummins pump= ?????