24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

intank pump+ updated cummins pump= ?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
intank pump+ updated cummins pump= ?????

I have just recently installed a complete set of gauges on my truck. I now see how horrible my fuel pressure is. 10-7 psi idle-average cruise speed, 0 psi if I stand on it at all. I have ordered an Edge comp and I do not want to put it on till I sort out my fuel system. Now I talked to a person I know at the Dodge dealership. He will replace my pump with the new in tank pump and give me a new VP44. Truck is still under warr (65k miles). But from reading here and other places it seems that the in tank pump is not the end all be all we hoped it would be. I also have been following a thread on another site about a $65 refit lift pump offered by Cummins for buses and ambulances etc. Its a bolt on for our trucks and is supposed to be new and improved, with some sort of internal bypass. The kit comes with wiring and fittings for $65. I have one of those coming. So My thought is to let dealer replace my VP44 and put the new in tank pump on, then using my new cummins pump and a relocation kit (probably Vulcans) to mount it on frame near the tank for what I am thinking will be a reliable and relatively inexpensive fuel system fix.

Any thoughts on this pro or con? I have also wondered whether I will need some sort of pressure switch like BD-power offers to keep from getting a hard start concern. Does anyone know where I can get the switch by itself? Is Vulcans the best kit for this type of thing? I am asuming I will probably have fittings that I don't use and need fittings that aren't in the kit. Anyone know how easy Vulcan is to deal with in things like that? I.e. ordering individual fittings etc, for slightly different setups than his kit is designed for?
Old 03-11-2006, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by macjazzy
I also have been following a thread on another site about a $65 refit lift pump offered by Cummins for buses and ambulances etc. Its a bolt on for our trucks and is supposed to be new and improved, with some sort of internal bypass. The kit comes with wiring and fittings for $65. I have one of those coming.
Do you have a link for this pump?
Old 03-11-2006, 04:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

If your injector pump is ok, there's no need in replacing it.
Moving the lift pump away from the motor will get it away from engine heat & vibrations and next to the fuel tank makes for easy replacement when necessary. Any big line/fitting kit should be better than any banjo mods.
The new pump kit you mention may be designed to run with your existing wiring, maybe just extended for a frame rail install.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:51 PM
Banned

Get a FASS II pump and be done with it.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:40 PM

I do not have a link for this new cummins pump. i am not sure what I can say or not say as far as info I got from another website. But I am sure most of you know what are some of the big ones as far as cummins turbo diesels go. but apparently there is a new recall or tsb or something to replace the lift pumps in buses and ambulances and other public works type vehicles because it is a hazzard when it dies. Not sure why its a hazzard when it happens to them but not to us. Anyway there is a kit that includes an updated pump wiring and a few fittings. Cummins price is 65.00 unless you are a private person then it is 200.00 But if you call around most of them don't ask. I just called the Cummins dealer in my state and asked for this part number,4090046, availability and price. He said in stock 65.00 I said ship it to me! At the very least it is a great price on a brand new lift pump, but it is supposed to be better than the originals.

Clunk I am almost out of warr. so I figured I would get a new Vp44 if i can while I can. It would suck if it dies 5k miles out of warr and I had a chance to replace it and didn't. It was the dealer that offered to replace it for me since they know there are problems with them.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:54 PM

Thumbs up

Oh yeah! I'd take them up on it too!
Old 03-13-2006, 08:23 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I would also like to here more about this Cummins LP update....I have not seen this pump before...
Old 03-13-2006, 09:03 AM

I am surprised. There is a huge thread, 2 huge threads actually on another big cummins website. I know I jump around to different sites I am very surprised no one else has seen these threads on what seems like the one biggest issue for our 24v trucks. There is a lot of info on the other threads on this and I do not feel right cutting and pasting that much info. And I am pretty sure the owners of this site would not look too favorably on my naming them here. Not sure if this is allowed but maybe someone can pm me and I can let you know where you can go for the information I have been reading on this subject.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:40 PM
Administrator

If the "other" site you speak of is the TDR, there are a couple members here that are members over there, no biggy naming them, but copying/pasting from there to here is usally frowned upon.

phox
Old 03-13-2006, 06:01 PM

yes it is tdr, and I was not going to cut and paste anyones elses words. Besides there is a very lengthy discussion over there about it. I guess I thought there were more crossover people but it seems alot of people are loyal to one or the other. Which is great. But I thought some guys over here may want to know about this deal and was hopefully looking for opinions on running the new lift pump and my in tank unit in series. But it seems no one has done that or has any thoughts on it other than one "Get a fass!" Which is some guys answer to everything fuel related, possibly because they are selling that rather pricy option.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Why can't we all just get along, freely share information that would benefit us owners of the best Diesel engine on the planet?

Used to be you could browse the TDR and find out for yourself, but they changed it so you have to be a paying member to go deeper than 5 responses in any given thread, I stopped making the TDR part of my daily internetting, as there wasn't a point in even trying anymore.

Feel free to pass along any non propriatary info from that thread to us poor souls here.

phox
Old 03-13-2006, 06:24 PM

I am actually not a member of that site, only this one. I have not had any trouble reading posts or whole threads. Just can't read some of the restricted member only threads and can't post or search threads. I can relay I guess, what sort of things do you want to know specifically. If its there I will, in my own words, retell it for you. If thats ok. I don't want to do anything that gets people upset or me banned, I love this place!
Old 03-13-2006, 11:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by macjazzy
But it seems no one has done that or has any thoughts on it other than one "Get a fass!" Which is some guys answer to everything fuel related, possibly because they are selling that rather pricy option.
We are sorry that our statement has obviously offended you in some way. Yes we do sell the FASS. And will continue to sell the only reasonable high pressure fuel pump that we have found so far.

Thats not to say that there are not other options out there. But due to the fact that most of the other options have also continued to fail or not provide the proper fuel delivery that our Cummins powered trucks need we will continue to offer the FASS systems. We do not manufacture the product, so we have no control as to pricing, and wish the pricing was more affordable for everyone. But when you consider that the dealer in-tank, so called fix, is only about $70 less its a great system to consider.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:27 AM

You did not offend me, and I have no problem with you advocating a product you sell and believe in. My only issue was that these type of forums tend to be a big melting pot of ideas and knowledge. I just felt that at the time you were not so much offering advice or help as to the pros or cons of the set up I am thinking about using as just jumping in to almost yell out your product. I understand you feel that is the best but it would be nice at times to hear why you feel that way, what led you to that decision, and offer your expertise to those of us who are less knoledgable than you on a subject we all here are interested in. Otherwise it just feels like someone jumping into the middle of a conversation and yelling out something and then leaving. Having done little more than interrupt the conversation. Again I am not attempting to smear you or yor product or your company. We can all co exist here and I have no doubts many people have availed themselves of your services and been extremely happy to have delt with you. We do thank the experts who take time out of their days to offer help and insite on these type of forums.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:14 PM

macjazzy - your lucky that Cummins sold you this pump. I called today and asked about p/n: 4090046. Sure, they had them in stock but wouldnt sell me one - I was told that its only for internal use. The parts guy did say that it would work and the application was school busses etc.

Does anyone else have any feedback on this pump?

Quick Reply: intank pump+ updated cummins pump= ?????