24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Intank Lift Pump Retro-Kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 05:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intank Lift Pump Retro-Kit

After installing my FP gauge I found my numbers to be 7-8 @ idle and 0-1 WOT. Since the installation ive been babying it until I could get it to dodge to see their responce. I knew I was in for some aggrevation but I wanted to know their plan of approach. Turns out the flow and pressure test is performed with a simple bump start only. The truck never even runs. My pump delivered 52oz in the 25 secs @ 9.5psi. They have NO WOT test or further test procedure. After expressing my concern of 0psi without even towing, the mechanic called cummins. Cummins told him that the only tests were to acheive 45 or more on the flow test and anywhere from 7-11psi @ bump. The cummins ENGINEER went on to tell him that the pump will see periods in which 0psi is reached (with the intank kit). The factory style pump mounted on the engine could see numbers as low as 3-4. What a load of crap. I already purchased the vulcan big line kit but was waiting to see if I was getting a new pump from them. Nobody could tell me how 0psi could possibly be enough flow to supply the engine as well as cool the injection pump. Obviously its not! Just wanted to put that bit of information out there for anyone interested. BTW I have the electric autometer FP gauge and it matched the mechanics gauge numbers. So at the very least I know its accurate.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:59 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
"have the electric autometer FP gauge and it matched the mechanics gauge numbers. So at the very least I know its accurate"

That's good to know. I just put one in yesterday and so far, have better numbers to report than what you found. What yr. is your truck? And why would you want an in-tank pump? If it goes again, the tank comes out. My preference would be to mount one somewhere it's a snap to get to and swap. LP's are a common issue and if you keep your truck long enough, you'll travel this road again.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They are right on the numbers pertaining to your new intank pump WhoCares. There are probably as many opinions on fuel psi as there are aftermarket systems. Personally I feel that seeing 3-4 psi under load is nothing to worry about. I've installed several in-tank pumps and tested a few out of curiousity and was able to drop the psi down to 2-3 at wot. Looks like you should have researched your choice in pumps before spending the $$$ on the install and part if you are not happy with the numbers you are seeing. The information was certainly here. Now ask us our opinion of "electric" fuel psi gauges.....
Old 06-29-2006, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did and do continue to research this common issue but I have a warranty and they dont offer the stock pump under warranty anymore. If it fails you get the retro kit. My post was to make people didnt know aware of what cummins calls acceptable with their LP's.