24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Installing a custom aft axle tank and selector

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 03:27 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Installing a custom aft axle tank and selector

As soon as i get an '02 I already know im going to need more fuel. My old ford carried 60 gallons of fuel and on alot of trips i have needed every bit of that between fuel stations.

Ford (bad word) used a diesel tank selector on thier 1980-97 diesels that is relatively easy to install on the frame that selects both the tank fuel lines send and return and the sending unit wire to used at the fuel gauge. therefor aside from an incab momentary switch i should be able to plumb into the sending unit wire from down at the frame rail and avoid messing with any other factory wiring?

I have no idea where to chase down a fabbed or factory 30+ gallon rear tank that will fit in aft axle under a dodge 02 ext cab SB 4x4 manual tranny. Transferflow does not make anything so im SOL? What about a Ford bronco 33 gallon tank? all i would have to do then is install a dodge sending unit and soder the wire?

Will this setup using a ford tank and pickup work with the FASS or Is it going to be a night mare. Anybody who has done this or something similar with sucsess? I dont know if i want to tie up my bed with an inbed tank but that may be my only other option. Im willing to install the second fuel door in the box side and paint so where do i get my extra capacity

Thanks Guys
Old 03-15-2004, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can get a 40 gal aux tank from aerotanks. they list it for 95-97, but could probably be refitted to work in the truck you are looking for. link: http://www.aerotanks.com/dodge.html

I have a similar pickup to what you are looking for. I don't want to affect where the spare is, so I am considering having custom saddle tanks built when funds permit. Good luck
Old 03-16-2004, 01:19 AM

holy crap thats nuts they deffinately have a 60 gal tank
Old 03-16-2004, 07:46 AM

Not if he buys a Short bed. With the short bed the stock tank is only a few inches away from the transfer case, which doesn't leave much room for improvement.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:03 AM

Exactly, i ve been measuring and checking thigs out i just need to find a combo that will work, Spare tire be damned
Old 03-17-2004, 10:10 AM

I hope that you have somewhere to put the spare. Eventaully I would like two, (for ofroading) so I want to keep the stock location for one, but I will still need to find a plce for the other.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:38 AM

In the last 5 years i have blown beads, torn sidewalls snd ripped the tread off of tires.

I do carry a spare in the bed but mainly i carry a couple of tire tubes, tire plug kits and cans of ether. I can fix tears up to two inch's long any bigger and i install a tube to get me out of where im not supposed to be, the ether works great for reseating a tire. Plus i ussually like to throw my spare onto my trailer which is ussually when i need one anyways.

Dusty