24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Installed new VP44 and intank LP but didnt remove old transfer pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 11:39 AM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by duster75
Robin,Fill the tank with fuel and see what happens..... I will get a 0 reading if i.m down to a 1/8 of a tank and stop hard or leave a stop sign hard. The canister in tank can get full of crap and "plug up" causing problems also. Yours has not been gutted so it could be a issue. I pull my fuel pressure at the V.P with no problems, other then fluctuating gauge witch hopfully is a bad pump have a "new' 1 coming under warranty. Nate
It wouldn't hurt to look but the fuel pickup canister is covered in a screen mesh, so if its full of crap enough to plug something then you have a lot more problems than this. Also duster75, the reason you're getting a fluctuating gauge IS because you're reading directly from the VP. Its not a bad pump. The VP sends fuel pulses back through the system and will greatly affect a gauge and sender if they're mounted to close. Reading from the fuel filter canister with a longer gauge line is a better option.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It certainly won't hurt anything to see how things are with a full tank either I suppose. There are only a few gallons in the tank I think my DTE says 21 miles to empty which may actually be registering a little low, as I put in around 2 gallons of diesel I had in "gas" cans, and there was already some in the tank. Katoom, you don't think sloshing could be some of my issue? Only reason I ask is that hard stops and sharp turns is when the gauge was dropping to zero on my test drive.

I guess I am lucky and get to have it smogged too ... once all this is sorted out yuk.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by robinlh
It certainly won't hurt anything to see how things are with a full tank either I suppose. There are only a few gallons in the tank I think my DTE says 21 miles to empty which may actually be registering a little low, as I put in around 2 gallons of diesel I had in "gas" cans, and there was already some in the tank. Katoom, you don't think sloshing could be some of my issue? Only reason I ask is that hard stops and sharp turns is when the gauge was dropping to zero on my test drive.

I guess I am lucky and get to have it smogged too ... once all this is sorted out yuk.
You'd have to have almost no fuel in there and be pointing the truck up or down hill for anything to affect the fuel pressure. Reason is that the OEM fuel pickup canister has a reserve cup built in the bottom to hold enough fuel to keep that from happening. But that doesn't mean your fuel pickup is OK. Didn't someone install a intank fuel pump on your truck? Maybe the pickup was damaged.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:19 PM

I think the OEM module was just removed and the intank pump was put in it's place, we just switched them back. What would I look for as far as damage is concerned?
Old 10-04-2010, 09:40 PM

Thats a good question. What I mean by that is there is no protocol damage which would point to such a problem. If there was something wrong with the pickup canister, I couldn't say what it would be. If you're set that low fuel is the problem then simply put 10 gallons in it and try it again.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:41 AM

I'm not really set on anything, I just figured it wouldn't hurt to see what happens with more fuel. I appreciate everyones input as I am clueless without you guys
Old 10-05-2010, 08:40 AM

[QUOTe. Also duster75, the reason you're getting a fluctuating gauge IS because you're reading directly from the VP. Its not a bad pump. The VP sends fuel pulses back through the system and will greatly affect a gauge and sender if they're mounted to close. Reading from the fuel filter canister with a longer gauge line is a better option.[/QUOTE]

Funny the boys at air dog didn't catch that and are sending me a new pump. Funny that I didn't have a problem for the first 10,000 miles I put on truck.I do not have a filter canister to hook into so gauge will have to stay where it is. I would think line is "long" enough coming from V.P to inside of cab. Thanks for info. though

E=KATOOM;2852319]It wouldn't hurt to look but the fuel pickup canister is covered in a screen mesh, so if its full of crap enough to plug something then you have a lot more problems than this The boys at air dog through this option at me to solve my fulctuating pressure problem thats why I put it out there J>M>O put some fuel in it start with the simple things first J>M>O Nate
Old 10-10-2010, 10:23 AM

Katboom, moved my gauge line to pull fuel pressure at my airdog. Gauge was still bouncing all over the place with new pump installed. That seems to have curred my issues. You were right, Thanks, Nate
Old 10-10-2010, 07:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by duster75
Katboom, moved my gauge line to pull fuel pressure at my airdog. Gauge was still bouncing all over the place with new pump installed. That seems to have curred my issues. You were right, Thanks, Nate
My ISSPRO mechanical gauge is plumbed into the line where it enters the VP. An additional right angle fitting was added between the end of the fuel line and the VP. Fitting was tapped for the FP gauge (actually needle valve then line for gauge). No isolator.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Junk Man
My ISSPRO mechanical gauge is plumbed into the line where it enters the VP. An additional right angle fitting was added between the end of the fuel line and the VP. Fitting was tapped for the FP gauge (actually needle valve then line for gauge). No isolator.
Snubbers work well but they just need to be adjusted properly.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Junk Man
Junkman ,Thats the way mine was plumbed,but I just used a 1/8" to 1/4" hose barb then hose. No needle valve,no isolator even though I see now that 1 came with my vulcan big line kit that was ordered on not used. Oh well just another 2hrs fixing something that wasn't really broke . Nate
Old 10-12-2010, 11:38 PM

Okay, it looks like some fuel took care of the zero psi problem at stops and sharp turns. I don't have it registered yet, California has this wonderful "suspended registration" deal that take 3 days to resolve. I did take it a few towns over on back roads to get fuel and hay today, I can't tell you how happy I am to be driving it again.