24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Installed new VP44 and intank LP but didnt remove old transfer pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 01:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Junk Man, on the fuel pressure set from Harbor Freight, you wouldn't by chance have a part number for that would you? I checked their site and I am seeing a Fuel Pump and Vacuum Tester for 12.99 and a Fuel Injection Pump Tester for 15.99, and Master Fuel Injection Pressure Test Kit for 79.99, can you point me in the right direction.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:12 AM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

Robin,

Just curious, How much do you have to spend on this repair, all in. I'm not looking to spend your money, but it may be easier and more productive to just start from scratch. Sell the parts you have, and get parts that are correct from the very beginning.

Right now, everything seems very jumbled. If you tell everyone what you have to spend, we may be able to give you some options.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:39 AM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by wyododge
Robin,

Just curious, How much do you have to spend on this repair, all in. I'm not looking to spend your money, but it may be easier and more productive to just start from scratch. Sell the parts you have, and get parts that are correct from the very beginning.

Right now, everything seems very jumbled. If you tell everyone what you have to spend, we may be able to give you some options.
This is the best advise she's received yet.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:38 AM

www.bluechipdiesel.com heres some info. you should read. As far as your sender goes regardless you would "gut" it for a inline pump fass /a.d. etc. so his workings should not matter. Check out Vulcan preformance I will post a link and get a draw straw1 and install while tank is out.No drilling just plug and play and It will accept your bigger lines supplied with your new pump. More than likely your senders line will be rusty to the point it will need to be replaced anyway it will fix that too.If your fuel level gauge does not read right now is the time to fix that as well Replace sender either with junk mans option in post 14 or a fact. sender ordered from *******( Dodge dealer).www.vulcanperformance.com look under air dog fuel systems and look for drawstraws. hope this helps, Nate

Last edited by duster75; 08-06-2010 at 08:52 AM. Reason: added link
Old 08-06-2010, 08:52 AM

I second wyododge and Katoom. The best thing to do, especially since the tank is out already, is to start from scratch. Keep posting and hopefully everyone here can help you through.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by robinlh
Hey Junk Man, on the fuel pressure set from Harbor Freight, you wouldn't by chance have a part number for that would you? I checked their site and I am seeing a Fuel Pump and Vacuum Tester for 12.99 and a Fuel Injection Pump Tester for 15.99, and Master Fuel Injection Pressure Test Kit for 79.99, can you point me in the right direction.
This one works fine until you take the stock lines off the VP.

http://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-in...ter-92699.html
Old 08-06-2010, 04:47 PM

It looks like this will be a long process for me. The economy has me pretty well broke. I agree with starting from scratch but need to know the most cost efficient transfer pump is going to be now that my options for the pump are a little more open.

I have to sell some things (I have an AQHA Filly for sale for 1000.00, and am hoping I can get at least 800.00) to buy the new transfer pump and the parts I need to install it, I already have the new vp44. What do you guys think of the FASS DDRP?
Old 08-06-2010, 05:46 PM
Banned

It looks like this will be a long process for me. The economy has me pretty well broke. I agree with starting from scratch but need to know the most cost efficient transfer pump is going to be now that my options for the pump are a little more open.

I have to sell some things (I have an AQHA Filly for sale for 1000.00, and am hoping I can get at least 800.00) to buy the new transfer pump and the parts I need to install it, I already have the new vp44. What do you guys think of the FASS DDRP?
FASS is fine. AirDog is fine and cheaper. BlueChip says they are both over kill. I wouldn't drive it at all without knowing something about my fuel pressure.

As an aside, my injector lines were leaking after my VP install. I looked in the FSM & noted o-rings on the injector tubes. Others including a local performance shop said to change the tubes if tightening wouldn't stop the leak. Tightwad me bought new O-rings from Cummins (price killed me $1.72 each) but I wanted the correct part. Besides, if they leaked it might be because I cheaped out & bought the wrong o-ring. Idling shows no leak. So try replacing o-rings instead of injector tubes. I'll report back with their size after I go to the parts store.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:13 PM

It's gonna be a long haul, so we have time to SLOWWWWWW down and get exactly what you need. No need for flame wars, lets just get a nice simple little set up. We aint lookin for a racing truck here. At least not yet .

Okay so now you know that you have, at most, $800.00 to spend to revamp your fuel system. It sound like your are more than capable of doing this your self so I think we need to focus on cost of parts. No need to get fancy, you don't need a whole bunch of fuel.

From what I have read, you basically need a new lift pump, mechanical FP gauge, and new fuel lines.

Dr. Evil has a very good write up for a mechanical fuel pressure gauge that is VERY inexpensive, under $50 all in.

You don't need to get fancy with your fuel lines either, should be $50.00 or less for those, including an in-line filter if you decide to go with a rail mount lift pump.

So call the FP gauge and the fuel lines with connectors and extras $150 bucks. That leaves us $650 for a lift pump. That should be very do-able but no reason to spend $650 for it if we really don't need to.

Okay guys, I know my FASS was just about all of 650 IIRC, What kind of options do we have for around the 4 to 500 range???

On edit: Robin looks to me like the fass ddrp 02 is a good option. You can get a stock (modified) lift pump from www.bluechipdiesel.com for under a hundred. Might want to do some research on those.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:52 AM

You guys are the greatest. Yeah ... no racing truck (probably not ever lol) ... but some torque would be nice ... I can remember the days when hauling 30 bales of hay in the bed and a trailer behind wasn't an issue ... I would settle for not having to borrow a truck to do half that
Old 08-07-2010, 04:57 AM

I hauled a 14k trailer from the middle of Wyoming to Denver many, many times with my truck bone stock. You have a new vp and an updated lift pump. Torque and horse power will not be a problem. Should get pretty good fuel economy too. That's why we like these trucks!!!
Old 08-07-2010, 04:39 PM
vrj

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
RobinLH,

Sorry to hear about your problems. I've done tons of work on my truck over the years including the revamping of my fuel system just as many on this board have done. With that being said, I, including others have spare parts lying around, new & used.

Maybe you can check with your local DTR Chapter for immediate assistance. With the knowledge, experience and probably extra parts availability, I'm sure you can come up with atleast a few parts wherein you won't have to buy everything new. But, more importantly, people to assist you with the upgrade/fix since most of us have done the fuel system upgrade to some degree.

I've got some fuel line and some fittings for the VP44 and stock filter you can use. Not sure about the needed washers. I'm in So. Calif.

I don't know the Chapter number for No. Calif. but there are threads here dedicated to specific areas. Maybe someone can chime in on the thread number and then you can post a request for help.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:48 PM
vrj

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is the link to the local chapter (#21) in No. Calif:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...r-21-f127.html

Hope this helps!
Old 08-07-2010, 09:58 PM

Pumps

Reading your issue and not reading anyone elses comments, here's my thoughts. I've installed three lift pumps and two injector pumps myself. One truck had the intank pump. Drilled a hole in the tank and made the Fass-150 suck from its own suction spot. You can't use the intank pump to pump to another pump on the frame rail, it won't last. Also you can't go through the the factory lift pump on the block. I have installed three Fass-150's and all have had the own suction and discharge line to the existing filter with no issues. Hope this dose'nt offend anyone, but that's why I don't let anyone work on my stuff unless I just can't do. Short and sweet get rid of the intank pump and lift pump on the block. Just my two cents
Old 08-08-2010, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does not Vulcan have the re-wire harness kit for less than $20 to get the ladies in-tank pump working? I ask this in lieu of Vulcan selling a In-tank upgrade that looks to be nearly identical to the New Airtex E7187M Pump she currently has in place..
Also I think Vulcan has the hardware to by-pass the old lift-pump?

Quick Reply: Installed new VP44 and intank LP but didnt remove old transfer pump