24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

installed new high pressure lines and botched something

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy installed new high pressure lines and botched something

My high pressure lines leaked diesel at the head from 5 of the lines. So, I got some sweet new ones off ebay for $54 shipped and decided to throw 'em on today. Well, got everything back together and it won't start. I can't really describe what it does, it's almost starting.

It'll catch and I can hear the starter take less load then it'll start working harder again, and keep doing this. The motor catches, forgets to start, catches, forgets,...etc. When I take the key out it turns over a few times, fighting to run, before stopping. I'm guessing I have 2 lines out of order on the injection pump. I've searched the site and the internet for a diagram I once saw that gave the firing order (reinstalled XP today and lost my bookmarks) but have had no luck. Does anyone have the picture, or link to it?

I'm praying this fixes the fuel leak, my hard starts, maybe even bump up my power and mileage a tad....but I'll be realistic about it, it's not going to make a difference.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:12 PM

does anyone know the order the fuel lines go on? I'm stumped on finding this pic.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:00 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I think you are right about the cause of the problem.

Firing order is 153624. I don't know where # 1 is on your pump.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I doubt you mixed them up but maybe, they are exact fit, you don't bend them or anything so they really only should fit properly to the correct cylinder. I think you just have air in the lines and you need to bleed them properly.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Yep, the lines are pre-bent and only fit oneway. They have to have the bends to keep the timing constant, if you stretched out the lines all six are the exact same length.

I agree with TOOL. I bet you just have air in the lines and only have a cylinder or two that are firing. You need at least three firing for it to start.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:30 AM

I've replaced the lines before and it wasn't this slow to start again. Of course, those lines leaked diesel, so they might bleed faster.

I know it's hard to mix 'em up. You gotta TRY to do that, but I've done some pretty dumb stuff in my life as a shade-tree mechanic.

when I get home I'll bleed the suckers and hope for the best. but i'm still going crazy trying to remember if I'm making that diagram up in my head.